After all the stress from the past couple of weeks, today I woke up without feeling any anxiety and I'll tell you, I feel like I'm on vacation!
It's so nice to feel normal again and while I'm not the kind to take drugs unless I'm in pain, I kind of understand why some people take Valium or other drugs to function. I feel very lucky to be able to escape the anxiety. Very lucky.
With this, though, I do need to remember that I'm actually NOT on vacation (well, being a stay-at-home mom whose kids are in school and are teens/grown-up and don't need her as much as younger kids IS a vacation, make no mistake!) and I need to try to drag my butt off this couch and actually do some chores. But, but, but, it's also Law & Order Marathon Day on ION TV! I confess that when it was on Wednesday, I didn't pay attention to any episode because I was pretty sure they showed the same episodes as last week's marathon. So, as much as I love the show, it might be time for me to start watching something else. Or just listen to music!
SUCCESSES AND FAILURES
- I slept well. However, I woke up at 5 a.m. with a huge hot flash and I also realized that I was very thirsty, probably due to the Chinese food that I ate yesterday. When I woke up, I noticed that Explorer was cuddled against me. He followed me to the bathroom and cried out for me, and then we both went back to bed and he nestled against my face again and I held his little paws and he liked my nose and then we both made purring noises and fell back asleep after a while. He's my buddy!
- Greg also slept well, hooray! He worked non-stop last night, as soon as we were done with dinner until 11:30 p.m., so I was worried that he would be stressed and not sleep well. He has tons of meetings again today, included one big remote one with a guy who is leaving the company today and who was at the same level as Greg's and apparently now Greg is inheriting his work as well? This might be why he got the bonus yesterday. All of this is good for his career, including the trips to Romania and then to Sweden because he will be representing his whole unit at big company meetings. I'm happy that he's getting the recognition both monetarily and in increased responsibilities and his team seems to love him (this might be biased because I'm based that assumption on things that he reported to me, I don't know them at all).
- Youngest Son has been making an effort, I think, to be more awake and less gloomy in the mornings than he was last year. Maybe he's finally emerging of puberty? He's turning 16 in a few months and I know that, with my 2 older boys, 16 was the age when I was finally able to enjoy having teen boys, to be quite honest :) As always, he packed himself a lunch and rode the bus to school. Yesterday, when he drove to the library, he even told me about a creative writing assignment that he had done, and later on expressed interest in getting "a lot more" practice driving the Focus and when I reminded him that Daughter had it in Gainesville for a couple of more weeks, he even was disappointed. So yeah, I think he's definitely maturing. He's a very lovely person so it's nice to see him develop a personality which isn't always grumpiness and self-professed lack of interest in everything!
- The kittens got on the kitchen table again this morning and managed to break one of my glasses. Arrgh. I had bought it at a thrift store. It's like having toddlers, I need to go back to plastic cups, I guess? Actually, I do have plastic cups, I just don't prefer drinking from them. The men don't care so I guess I won't replace the glass.
- I got a very early call from my hygienist this morning, apologizing for the hour and for not returning my call last night about the waterpik. She said she "couldn't wait to see me again", and honestly, as lovely as they all were, I don't really return that exact same feeling, but I thanked her again for making yesterday much more pleasant than I had anticipated. Anyhoo, they don't sell the waterpik model that I would prefer (the one that sits on the sink and not the kind that you use in the shower) and made sure I knew to get one with a dial and to only use it at the half-way power level (so 5 if the dial goes all the way up to 10). I promptly ordered one from Amazon that has excellent reviews and I should get it on Tuesday. I'll need to buy distilled water (our water is very hard) and Listerine as she advised to use 50% water and 50% Listerine. I'll earn 5% in Rewards back from Amazon Visa and got free shipping through Prime.
- I also made 2 more Amazon orders this morning: one for a $25 Panera gift card that I'll put in my daughter's stocking at Christmas. I used a special promotion that I spotted on CouponPro and was able to order a 16 oz bag of trail mix for free.
- Then I ordered a weather emergency radio for my daughter and had them ship it to her directly. We're not really sure how package delivery works at her apartment complex, whether they have package mailboxes or if they'll leave it at the office and if she'll be notified when it's there, or whether they'll just leave them on her doorstep (I hope not!) so instead of buying her the $60 American Red Cross approved weather radio, I bought her a $20 one that has solar power and crank charging, can charge a cell phone, has a flashlight, etc. Hopefully she'll never need to use it, but with hurricane season heating up, I wanted her to have one. I did use the No Rush Shipping option and I'll get a $5 Amazon Prime Pantry credit, not that I'll use it.
- I'm playing SB videos (the automatic nCraves were available this morning, yay!) to try to reach my 1st goal of 105 SB, and I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits.
- I had 2 huge precooked chicken breasts in the fridge so I'll probably make the chicken quesadillas tonight, with a salad.
- I remembered to add distilled water and Listerine to my shopping list for next week. I checked the previews for next week's CVS and Walgreens ads and adjusted my shopping list accordingly, and then emailed my daughter to let her know about the BOGO sale on nuts at CVS since she wanted to buy some almonds, with instructions on how to use her ExtraCare card (I think she got one a couple of years ago but rarely shops at CVS, if ever).
- I put a reminder on my calendar to go to Walgreens on Monday morning, after breakfast with my friend that will be just down the road, since my Register Rewards expire on that day.
- Just realized that the L&O Marathon won't start until 11 a.m. so I'm playing Bach on Pandora for Princess, who just came to take a nap near me. She always chews on my knuckle at first and makes growling sounds, and then she suddenly falls asleep, lol. And she has got to be touching me at all times. Right now she has a paw on my wrist as I'm typing and she's sleeping. The fact that my wrist (and her paw!) are moving non-stop doesn't seem to bother her... her little paw is so warm!
- On a sad note, my sister posted on Instagram this morning that her beloved bulldog passed away today. He was a scary looking dog (I am not a fan of dogs) who loved people but jumped on them very easily so we didn't really get to know him when we were visiting a couple of years ago. But I'm sure they're all devastated. I don't even fathom how devastated I'll be when one of our kitties passes away.
- There are board games on sale in the Amazon "Deal of the Day" category today and one that I think Youngest Son might want to play with his friends, so I texted him to ask if I should get it. He is very good with his phone and keeps it turned off or on silent during class, so he'll answer me at lunch time.
- I had to get off the Amazon website because I wanted to buy everything. Christmas is coming and the need to get started on my shopping is strong. But the kids don't need trinkets and cute cat-head shaped purses and mugs, they're gonna want cash. Maybe I can take up origami and fold the bills into cat shapes... sigh. Or maybe I'll just buy my kitties some Christmas presents. Yeah. That's what I'll do!
- First Christmas present bought, yay! Youngest Son did want that game and is OK waiting until Christmas for it. Woohoo and 5% back in Rewards too :)
- I was checking the Free Magazines forum on Slickdeals to see if there were any offers for Kiplinger. I didn't see any so I created a deal alert for it. However, I did find an offer for a free 1 year subscription to a magazine called Digital Photo Pro so I emailed it to Middle Son.
- Aargh, it's 10:15 a.m. and I haven't gotten started on the chores that I thought I'd be so eager to complete today! But that couch is getting comfier and comfier and look, I have a book to read! OK it IS on my To Do List after all...
- I printed some CVS brand coupons from their website and also some coupons for Stonefire naan bread that often is on BOGO sale at Publix.
- I looked through the posts about the Publix deals of the week on IHeartPublix and added a couple of items to my shopping list for next week.
- Middle Son called to ask if he could come over for about 90 minutes because he's in town to finalize some paperwork for his apartment and doesn't have to leave for work until later on. So I asked if he had lunch and since he didn't, I placed a Rapid Pick-Up order at Panera and he went to get it for us. Woohoo! I redeemed my free Panera bagel reward too. I tried to charge it to one of my gift cards but the one I picked had been depleted and instead of defaulting to the other gift card in my account, it defaulted to my Discover card and placed the order automatically. Grrr. At least I'll get 5% back in Rewards :) So while I remembered it, I went into my account and deleted the gift card that was depleted.
- So while he was picking this up (and, miracle of miracles, the order was ready a couple of minutes before the scheduled pick-up time today!), I went upstairs and cleaned the bathroom's sink and toilet, swept my bedroom, the hallway, Greg's bedroom and then the main staircase. Then I swept the downstairs hallway, the exercise room, the breezeway, the kitchen, and part of the Cat Room. The kittens must have been bored out of their minds because they followed me everywhere and did their usual "let's attack the broom and get in mom's feet!".
- Then Middle Son got here with the food so we settled ourselves in the living room and chatted about his new apartment while we ate (and fended the kittens off!) and then I found "The Making of the Battle of the Loot" featurette for him on YouTube and we watched it. I had watched it on HBONow right after the last Game of Thrones episode aired and it was supposed to be available until January 2019 but none of the extras were on their app or website today. I'm glad someone posted it on YouTube. I tried using the Youtube app on the Roku but it's kind of buggy so I ended up connecting my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and playing it that way. Goodness, all of that for a 14 minute featurette but I knew he'd like it and he did :)
- Before he left for work, I reminded Middle Son not to spend his money on things like cleaning products and toiletries before moving in to his apartment because he could come shop at mom's first :) He was thankful.
- I clipped the coupons that I printed this morning and put them away in my coupon organizer.
- Then I used my hand-held mandoline to slice the apple that had started going bad and it's in the dehydrator right now. Hooray! I've had so much food waste this week already, it's nice not to add to it. Plus I love dehydrated apples as a snack or in my morning cereal.
- I tried to take many Swagbucks surveys and got denied (sometimes after they got the data they wanted all along!) from all of them. Grrr. The Team Challenge ends in about an hour and my team is still in the lead, yay!
- Youngest Son called me at about 2:30 p.m. because, at my direction, he had stopped by Guidance after classes to enquire about signing up for the PERT test and he missed his bus because of that. Plus, all Guidance would tell him is that they weren't accepting sign-ups yet. So I drove to the high school to pick him up. By the time I got there, most of the traffic was going the other direction and there was a school officer directing traffic out of the Jr. parking lot, which actually made things a little more difficult for those of us trying to leave out of the Sr. parking lot. But we made it home OK and we got time to chat about the many assignments that he has to do this weekend, despite most of the teachers having said that they weren't going to give any homework.
- A storm was brewing when we got home so I hurried to put away the plastic bins that we had brought back from Gainesville away in the shed and then I decided to pull weeds since it was much cooler, the sky was dark and it wasn't raining yet. When it finally decided to start raining, it was only a steady sprinkle. Better than nothing but my plants needed more than that. Sigh. Update: well, my complaint was registered because 10 minutes later, it's pouring. Yay!
- I got the kittens' favorite toy out of the closet (a long flexible wand with feathers and a bell at the end) and played with them but they acted pooped and were only halfway into it.
- Youngest Son helped me give the older cats' pills and today no one got to spit theirs out. Success!
- I cuddled with kittens and started reading "Nickel and Dimed". I read the first chapter (that takes place in Key West) before the alarm I had set for doing the dishes rang. I didn't realize that the book had been written so long ago (2001).
- I did the dishes and then Greg called to say he was on his way home, a whole 30 minutes earlier than usual. I hope he remembers that I don't cook until 6:30 p.m., lol.
- With the help of automatic nCrave videos, I was able to reach my 2nd daily goal in the afternoon. I'll keep on running them for a while :)
- I made the chicken quesadillas for dinner and a spinach strawberry salad.
- Greg and I finished "Silicon Valley" last night, so tonight we got started on Westworld again, keeping in mind what Anne shared, which is : it's all different timelines. I was mistaken before, I thought we'd watched 3.5 episodes but really it was 2.5.
- Since my team won the Team Challenge, I activated the 100 SB Swag-up Rebate that I qualified for. I need to order a gift card by 8/31 so get it. I'm at 1,543 SB right now.
To Do List
- Return pink flowers to Lowe's? Bring receipt
- Tape the Strength Training videos and put on dedicated SD card
- Cleaning (i.e. domestic chores)
Empty dishwasherDONE Do the dishesDONE Sweep the kitchenDONE
- Clean fridge
- Wash window over kitchen sink
- Wash the front of the kitchen cabinets
- Iron Greg's clothes
- Sweep upstairs bathroom
Sweep or vacuum Greg's bedroomDONE Sweep my bedroomDONE
- Dust Greg's bedroom
- Dust my bedroom
- Mend some items from the mending basket, especially Greg's shorts
- Vacuum fridge's coils
- Scrub the WHOLE shower (including ceiling)
- Clean exercise room vent
- Wash bathroom and hall ceiling, door jamb (wear old clothes)
Defrost meat for dinnerNO NEED
- Make vanilla extract
- Try to make beef jerky
Dehydrate apple that is spoilingDONE
- Plan today's food intake
- Keep track of liquid intake!
- Record today's food intake into MFP
- Inventory fridge
- Inventory freezer
- Make hummingbird nectar
- Trim bushes in front of the house
- Transplant ferns from bin into front yard
- Transplant all basil seedlings from berm and patio to the empty garden beds
Pull weeds from bermDONE
- Pull weeds from garden area
- Pull weeds from rose planter
- Pull weeds from gravel path IN PROGRESS
Pull weeds from patioMOSTLY DONE
- Lay down more cardboard on top of mulch
- Mulch the berm again
- Make more self watering bins
- Plant tomatoes and lettuce (when it's cooler)
- Add Osmocote plant food to hibiscus and roses
- Check on beans and papaya seeds (daily) and water as needed
Check on pineapples rooting in jarsDONE
- Harvest pineapples? NOT YET
- Read up on growing papaya trees again and thin the seedlings?
Water the potted plantsIT RAINED
- Order rain barrel from Home Depot
- Figure out where to plant the salvia, lantana
Give Male Cat and Mean Kitty their medecineDONE
- Trim all cats' nails
- Brush cats
Take Wawa surveyDONE
- Read "Nickel and Dimed" library book ONGOING
- Track Greg's new pay stub in my spreadsheets
- Explore Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services webpage and get started on process
- Create Greg's online Social Security Account (with him) and update my documents
- Explore Will and Power of Attorney forms on LegalZoom and discuss with Greg
- Call SunTrust and Chase re: bonds
- Reconcile FSA records to make sure we're not missing money in the account
- Family & Friends
- Take Youngest Son driving I FORGOT TO HAVE HIM DRIVE HOME :(
- Write a letter to my great aunt
- Post trip pictures on French blog - STARTED THIS PAST WEEKEND
- Finish the 2014 Powerpoint document for Daughter
- Add clip art to all 2012, 2013 and 2014 pages that I created and print them
Put plastic bins away in shedDONE
- Review emails I had sent to Youngest Son on 7/23 about college with him
- Get him started on Coalition For Access application (add reminders on calendar for each summer too)
- Shred junk mail
- File paperwork
- Declutter the printer stand
- Declutter the breezeway counters
- Declutter the gardening supplies area
- Declutter the old coffee table ONGOING