- Happy Tuesday! I'm glad it was cool again last night as I haven't had to run the AC in several days. I wish it were like this year-round, quite honestly.
- I stayed up too late watching a couple of episodes from the DVD of "The Middle" that I got from the library and got a late start today... I don't feel very motivated to accomplish much to tell you the truth, but I need to buckle down and get to it!
- I took the picture of the cardinal (posted above) yesterday afternoon. I was so excited to have a cardinal on my cardinal bird feeder! Actually it's odd as cardinals are the only ones ever to feed there... I wonder if other birds are afraid of the color red?! Still no signs of other hummingbirds and so my homemade hummingbird feeder is a total bust. I need to rebalance it because it's tilting to a side and the nectar is dripping down.
- I woke up to the news that Brighthouse Networks (our cable internet provider and we don't get to choose our provider) is being bought out by Charter Communications, which is in a deal with Comcast. Both Charter and Comcast have horrible reputations so it doesn't bode well for us: probably higher prices, lower quality and very poor customer service. Arrgh.
- As I mentioned a couple of times, I'd been wanting to get to a Trader Joe's but there's not one close to me. Greg is going to be close to one on Friday but I don't love the idea of sending him to the store because he might buy things that we don't need and will wreck my budget and he might not find exactly what I want. Anyhoo, my Google calendar reminded me this morning that I need to get a new International Driver's License for my European trip this summer and the AAA office is in Winter Park. So at some point this month or next I'll take a trip to Winter Park and swing by Trader Joe's at the same time. Two birds killed with the same stone! I'll try to couple that with a "mom day out" with my daughter since we like having lunch on Park Avenue and checking out the stores.
- I'm back to wearing my "old" glasses because the new ones keep on sliding down my nose as I was gardening and falling to the ground. I need to stop by the eye doctor in the morning and ask them to tighten them. I did wear them most of the day yesterday and they didn't cause any blurriness when I was reading on my laptop outside in the sun but did cause blurriness when I was reading my laptop indoors. Weird since my laptop is always the same distance from me, on my lap!
- SavingStar credited me with the other $0.49 for the Cadbury egg from this weekend. Yippee!
- I uploaded their "Healthy Savings of the Week" offer to my account: 20% off loose green peppers. Truth be told, I probably won't use it since it doesn't work for Aldi or Save A Lot and I do have diced green peppers in my freezer, but uploading it doesn't cost me anything and you never know!
- My son is finally using his Kindle and is apparently downloading a bunch of free gaming apps. I'm getting all the emails from Amazon and making sure that they're all $0.00 and they are. Good boy.
- I reused rainwater collected in my bins to water my in-ground and potted plants today.
- I transplanted the guest tomato plants from my bean patch into self-watering bins where I'm growing my other tomatoes. I actually found 3 small tomato plants, 2 of them growing together so I left them together.
- I harvested Bibb lettuce that was threatening to go to seed, I'll have it for my lunch today. I also harvested 2 jalapeños (I will probably add to a grilled cheese sandwich later on this week) and 2 Ichiban eggplants. Those don't grow very large but I'm never really sure when I should harvest them. They're supposed to have some "give" under the thumb but whenever I wait until that happens, they've started to spoil. I harvested one that had some discoloration so I'm thinking it's starting to go bad and another one that had some bird damage to it. The plants have started flowering again so harvesting the fruit will free much needed energy to produce more! I'll use the eggplants in a stir-fry with collard greens one of these nights.
- The library notified me that they have the "We Had Everything But Money" book waiting for me. Yippee! I did pick it up today since I wanted to go to Racetrac and redeem my last free bakery item survey reward code. I drove so "wasted" some gas, BUT was rewarded by finding several coupon inserts in the donation pile!
- I wanted to finish painting the door jamb in the door upstairs but I had forgotten that I had used up all the white paint! Arrgh. And of course, all the free paint samples I received this month are color paint. Double arrgh! I was thinking of going to Ace Hardware since today is the last day of being able to purchase paint samples for just $0.99 BUT I decided to check Greg's shed and lo and behold, he had a paint sample of pure white... I had gotten it for him last year during one of the many "free paint sample to the first 100 customers on Saturday morning!" events that Ace Hardware held last year. Woohoo! I saved $0.99 :)
- My friend Jodie is trying to lower her grocery bills and her printer is on the fritz so I printed a whole bunch of coupons in case she wants to use them. I printed them via Swagbucks so if she does redeem any of them, I'll earn 10 SB per coupon. I also clipped all the coupons that were in the inserts that I still had and organized them all into 4 big categories for her.
- We're actually meeting at Aldi tomorrow morning so I can help her. She hasn't shopped at Aldi before. Since you don't use coupons there, it'll be an easy way for her to ease into it.
- I had a very late lunch of leftover Crêpe Florentine and Spicy Carrot Soup.
- I earned 100 KFR points by entering bonus code YOURKFRBONUSCODE in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.
- I replaced the old and huge Daewoo TV that was connected to the kids' Xbox with the smaller digital Insignia flat screen TV that Greg got from his parents' RV. I connected our old rabbit ear antenna to it and we get about 14 channels plus it works great with the Xbox. The footprint is so much smaller! The remotes fit on the TV stand now :) I'll be taking the old TV, along with another one, to the dump. They do work but the thrift stores no longer accept them and I don't know anyone who would want them.
- My (free) Febreeze car clip had dried out. I really enjoyed having this clipped on one of my vents, it made my car smell really good. I was thinking about getting a refill but I stopped those Glade Decor Scents refills on clearance at Publix for $2.00. I had bought 3 boxes, used (3) $1.00 coupons and submitted for a $1.00 Checkout 51 rebate so I paid $2.00 for 3 boxes. Furthermore, each box contains 2 refills so that was 6 refills for $2.00 or $0.33 per refill. I didn't have any double-sided tape so I used a little bit of velcro that I already had on hand to attach the Glade refill to the old Febreeze car clip. The result isn't really beautiful, but as long as my car smells good, I don't care :)
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- We didn't have any failures today, that I know of!
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!