Friday, March 27, 2015

Food Waste Friday

Inspired by The Frugal Girl blog who started it all...

Here is what I had to throw away I threw away this week...
Why the struck through text? Because the devil is in the planning... 99% if the time,  if I had planned better, I wouldn't have had to throw away food. 

I came across a perplexing problem this week, that will impact my "food waste" in the future and how often I "rescue" produce.  Last year's composting efforts ended up in a glorious bin of compost that I spread in one of my garden beds and in which my pole beans (and the assorted tomato and squash plants that grew out of the compost!) are thriving right now. It's incredible, the difference between no compost and compost!  However, my composting rate has dropped significantly since I've started to freeze the veggie peels and ends to use in chicken stock when I make it.  So I had to make a difficult decision: reuse or compost my veggie peels and ends?  I decided to compost it since, right now, I'm fully stocked on chicken stock.  After all, I'm trading those peels and ends for black gold!  That doesn't sound like food waste to me...


  • Some Romaine lettuce that I had previously "saved" but that I forgot to use so it went bad anyway :(  It went into the composting bin.


  • About 20 packets or plain instant grits. Despite the fact that I had put them in a supposedly "airtight" Rubbermaid container, it became completely infested with pantry moths and I had to throw everything away.  I was really upset not only because of the sheer size of the loss but also because I had deliberately purchased that container to keep critters away and it didn't work, compounding my financial loss.


  • Confession: I threw away 3 cans of Crisco and Publix spray oil, 2 of them being full. I had bought them a over a year ago. Last year I got a Misto (love it!) and I'm using it exclusively. But my daughter kept on using those sprays even though I had asked her not to, and they gunk up my new ceramic frying pan (which gives you a pause when thinking about what additives are in those things). I could list excuses why I didn't list them on Craigslist or donate them but the short end of it is that I just threw them away to get them out of my house faster. *hangs her head in shame* but #SaveTheFryingPans!


On the bright side, here is what I saved this week!


  • I had about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of shredded smoked gouda that had developed a tiny bit of mold. I picked the mold out and threw the smoked gouda on top of the Easy Loaded Grits that I cooked on Monday night while they were cooking.

Not posting a picture of my fridge, which is quite full at the moment due to having a container of bread dough waiting to be baked, some strawberries waiting to be dehydrated, and a couple containers of leftovers.

    4 comments:

    1. Visiting you from Kristen's blog! I think the bug problem might have been in your grits from the store of processing facility. I had the same problem with some cornmeal that I had stored in an airtight container. Ugh. Good on you for losing the Crisco. I used to buy it all the time. Now I rely on olive oil or plain butter for everything. Might have to look into getting a Misto.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Gina, thanks for stopping by :) I've had an ongoing problem with pantry moths for over a year... I've completely emptied out the pantry several times, put most of my foods in (supposedly airtight) containers, put out moth pantry traps and killed every single one that I spot and I still can't get rid of them. I suppose these could have come from the grits themselves but they had been fine for months (ahem... I used to tend to stockpile food more than I should have!) so I'm thinking they were in something else and found their way into the container. Anyway, it's so annoying. My pantry is very big so I don't relish the idea of emptying it out yet one more time, but I might have to!

        I highly recommend Misto, it's awesome. I use EVOO in it, and like you I also use butter (especially when making scrambled eggs!).

        Delete
    2. Composting for better veggies doesn't seem wasteful to me either!

      We composting when we lived in a house. Now that we are in an apartment I only have two choices: throw away or freeze. I'm seriously considering a small bin to keep on the balcony. I'm not sure it would work out though. Plus I don't need that much compost anyway. We only have a few potted plants. This is when I wish we had community compost bins.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I freeze all my veggie scraps too so I know what you mean about the toss up to getting compost. It would hurt to throw them into the dirt. I always have a little bit of veggies tucked away to make some stock if I get the chicken bones :)

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!