Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 3 to 4 people (2 adults, 1 of 2 teens depending on the weeks). 

Since I stocked up on meat last months, I'm going to try to spend only $50 per week in March.

Let's see how I did:

This week I went "over" budget by spending more than $50 because I stocked up on some items and also bought extra eggs, apples, and bread since we seem to be eating more of those items these days.  However, I am still far below our official budget of $100/wk so it's all good.

Budget for the week:
 $50.00
Total OOP: $70.17
Rebates expected: $2.00
Total spent after rebates: $68.17
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET BY $18.17 


Baking Supplies: $1.34 OOP


  1. I wasn't planning on buying those items but I saw the 50% off cupcake mixes and I had a great coupon to go with them... I should have just bought 4 boxes of the mix and made my own frosting since the price on the frosting wasn't as good.
  •  (2) boxes of Pillsbury Maple Brown Sugar Cupcake Mix (Target) on clearance @ $0.62 each, minus $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon = $0.24
  • (2) containers of Pillsbury Maple Brown Sugar frosting (Target) on clearance @ $1.05 each, minus $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon = $1.10


Beverages: $2.29 OOP



  1. When I was looking for the herbal peppermint tea at Dollar Tree last week, they didn't have any, but they had 3 boxes in stock today so I decided to get all 3.
  • 12 cans of ginger ale (Save A Lot) @ $2.29
  • 3 boxes of 24-ct Herbal Peppermint Tea (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $3.00 but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit

Breads/Baked Goods: $4.72 OOP



  1. I'm not sure why we've been eating so much more bread this past week or so, but I froze the white bread loaf so it doesn't get stale too fast. 
  2. The rye bread was on 50% clearance and I decided to get it since I have corned beef in the fridge that I need to cook to make Reubens! In the meantime,  I froze the loaf as well.

  • 2 loaves butterbread (Save A Lot) @ $1.29 each = $2.58
  • 1 loaf white bread (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
  • 1 loaf rye bread (Save A Lot), on 50% off clearance @ $1.15


 Cereals: $0.99 OOP and will get $0.50 back from SavingStar

  1. I was excited that the Lucky Charms was back in stock at CVS since I had a raincheck  and coupons for them AND they both have a BOGO coupon on the back! I should be able to get 4 boxes of cereal for free at Publix next time they're on BOGO sale.
  • 1 bag Malt-O-Meal Cocoa Dyno-bites (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
  • 2 boxes of Lucky Charms cereal (CVS) @ $1.88 each after raincheck redemption, minus $0.75/1 and $0.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.51, minus $2.51 in ECB = FREE and will get $0.50 back from Saving Star

Dairy: $11.24 OOP and got $2.00 back in ExtraCare Bucks
  1. I'm always happy to get the $1.00 in ECB on each gallon of milk at CVS because that makes them cheaper than at Aldi. 
  • 2 gallons whole milk (CVS) @ $3.69 each = $7.38 but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit, and got $2.00 back in ECBs
  • 7 cups Fit & Active blueberry yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $2.73
  • 16 oz light sour cream (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 Yoplait Greek Whips! yogurt (Publix) @ $1.20, minus $1.24 digital manufacturer coupon = $0.04 MONEY MAKER
  • 1 lb unsalted butter (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 8 oz mozzarella cheese (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 8 oz Monterey jack cheese (Aldi) @ $1.79

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $10.68 OOP 

  1. The coconut oil is not always available at Aldi so since I was going "over budget" anyway, I decided to stock up.
  2. I also decided to stock up on minced garlic since I don't always get to go to the Dollar Tree.
  3. I didn't need the can of soup but not buying it would have meant forfeiting part of my ECB coupon, which I didn't want to do.

  • 1 cup of Rice A Roni (Walgreens) @ $1.69 and got $1.69 back from SavingStar so FREE.
  • 2 cans pinto beans (Save A Lot) @ $0.65 each = $1.30
  • 2 cans black beans (Save A Lot) @ $0.59 each = $1.18
  • 2 jars minced garlic (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $2.00 but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit
  • 1 can no salt added corn kernels (Save A Lot) @ $0.49
  • 3 cans chopped green chiles (Aldi) @ $0.65 each = $1.95
  • 1 can Progresso soup (CVS) @ $1.49, minus $0.50/1 store coupon from kiosk, minus $0.36 in ECB = $0.63 but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit
  • 2 cans Carnation low fat evaporated milk (Target) @ $0.99 each, minus $0.55/2 manufacturer coupon, minus $0.50/2 Target store coupon = $0.93 and got $1.00 back from Checkout 51 = $0.07 MONEY MAKER
  • 2 8-oz cans no salt added tomato sauce (Save A Lot) @ $0.25 each = $0.50
  • 1 jar organic coconut oil (Aldi) @ $4.99
  • 1 box mac'n cheese (Save A Lot) @ $0.34
Produce/Juice: $16.69 and will get $1.50 back from Snap


  1. The 3-lb bag of apples that I bought on Sunday was almost all gone by this morning so I got a 5-lb bag since they were the same price as the 3-lb bag. However, the apples are larger so it doesn't mean that the bag will last any longer!
  2. I had a $3.00 coupon from Driscoll as compensation for a bad package of raspberries and they were finally under $3.00 at Target so I got them for free.
  3. Save A Lot had a lot of bananas marked down to $0.29/lb. I like those in my oatmeal in the morning better than greener bananas because they're sweeter so it worked out great.
  4. I already have several cans of Dole pineapple juice at home but it was a great deal with the sale price, coupons and the rebate. I will turn them into pineapple popsicles for my son in the summer.
  • 2.13 lbs red grapes (Save A Lot) @ $1.49/lb = $3.17
  • 3 lbs of Gala apples (Save A Lot) @ $2.99 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $2.74
  • 5 lbs apples (Save A Lot) @ $2.99
  • 0.75 lbs green beans (Save A Lot) @ $0.89/lb = $0.67
  • 1 lb sweet potatoes (Save A Lot) @ $0.99/lb = $0.99
  • 1.93 lbs of bananas (Save A Lot) @ $0.29/lb = $0.56
  • 1.21 lbs zucchini (Save A Lot) @ $0.99/lb = $1.20
  • 0.69 lbs Roma tomatoes (Save A Lot) @ $0.89/lb = $0.61
  • 6 oz Driscoll raspberries (Target) @ $2.99, minus $3.00/1 manufacturer coupon = $0.01 MONEY MAKER
  • 2 lbs carrots (Aldi) @ $0.79
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • Asparagus (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • (2) 59-oz cans of Dole pineapple juice (Publix) @ $2.00 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.00  but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit and will get $1.50 back from Snap
Proteins: $15.75 OOP

  1. Greg is eating 2 eggs for breakfast every morning and 2 hard-boiled eggs every day for snacks so I need to start buying more eggs every week!  They were cheaper at Save A Lot than at Aldi last week so I got them at Save A Lot again this week but when I got to Aldi, their price had dropped to $1.19/dozen so I could have saved a little bit more. I wish they would advertise all of their sale prices in their flyer!
  2. Save A Lot had a lot of meat on clearance for 50% off.  I would have gotten more frozen turkey but I wasn't sure how much would fit in the freezer. Also, it's Jenni-O turkey (even though it doesn't look like it is) and I didn't have any coupons for that brand with me but I'm going to look at my stash of unclipped coupons to see if I find some. If so, I might go back tomorrow to see if I can get more deals.
  3. I had one more $0.75/1 coupon for the Butterball smoked sausage from a magazine insert and Save A Lot doesn't always have that sausage so when I see it and I happen to have a coupon, I buy it. It doesn't take a lot of room in the freezer, is very versatile in recipes, and cheap!

  • 4 dozens large eggs (Save A Lot) @ $1.29 each = $5.16
  • 1 container of Buddig Premium Black Forest Ham (Save A Lot) @ $2.49
  • 1 Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage (Save A Lot) @ $1.99, minus $0.75/1 insert manufacturer coupon = $1.24
  • 1 pork and bacon sausage roll (Save A Lot) @ $1.19
  • (2) 20 oz packages of ground turkey (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance at $1.89 each = $3.78
  • (1) 0.29 lb package of beef bottom round steak (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $1.89
Snacks: $6.47 OOP

  • 1 box of vanilla wafers (Save A Lot) @ $1.29
  • 2 packages of Austin peanut butter crackers (Save A Lot) @ $1.00 each = $2.00
  • 1 box vanilla wafers (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 but FREE after remainder of Amex $200 Statement Credit
  • 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi) @ $1.19
  • 1 jar hazelnut chocolate spread (Save A Lot) @ $1.99

2 comments:

  1. I used to cut up fruit to make it go further. Cut up apples can go into a salt water solution of 1 tsp salt to 1 qt water. They keep for many days that way if they are stored in Ziplocs and the air squeezed out. I find that cutting them in eighths saves on apples since people rarely think they want 8 pieces of apple and typically will eat 5-6. When all five of ours were at home I would start with cutting an apple, an orange and a banana all in eighths for lunch. I put it on a plate on the table and if we ran out of fruit I would cut another piece. It really saved on wasted partially eaten fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip, especially for families with younger children, Lana. Thanks for sharing!

      Just this morning I read a comment on another blog from someone who says she wastes a lot of money on fruit because her kids like to "juggle" with them so the apples get bruised and the bananas get squished. She could probably use that tip too! I just can't remember what blog I was on when I read it.

      Don't the apples take no a salty taste, though? I think I might take a minute at the store and start roughly counting apples to decide which bag to buy (since I'm already examining them from all possible angles to make sure I don't buy the bag with the already bruised or rotten apples!). I don't really have a problem with fruit waste any longer since I've started using my dehydrator for blemished apples, overripe pineapple, and strawberries. Fruit gets eaten pretty fast around here. (although I totally had to compost several clementines this week that no one ate. I'm sticking to apples, bananas, and grapes this days).

      (Side note: Are you still blogging? I can't find your blog from your profile.)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!