Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 3 to 4 people (2 adults, 1 of 2 teens depending on the weeks). 

Since I stocked up on meat in the past few months, I'm going to try to spend only $50 per week in March.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $50
Total OOP: $64.71
Rebates expected: $4.00
Total spent after rebates: $60.71
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET by $10.71

I went over budget but only in the sense that I was trying to use only half of my regular budget.  I did stock up on several great deals, which caused me to spend about $10 more than what I had planned, but I'm still $40 under my official budget and my freezers are FULL.  Woohoo!


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads/Baked Goods: $1.99 OOP


  1. I only had the one loaf of bread on my shopping list, but when I saw the awesome clearance price of the rolls at Aldi, I just had to buy several packs. Yes, it'd probably cheaper to make my own, but I eat way more bread when I bake it than when I buy it!  I will bread down these packages in packs of 4 and freeze them.
  • 1 loaf of white bread (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
  • 4 packages of Brown & Serve rolls (Aldi), on clearance @ $0.25 each = $1.00



 Cereals: $0.99 OOP
  1. I was hoping that the Special K was included in the 2 for $5 sale on "select Kellogg's cereals" at CVS but it wasn't.  While I wasn't a Microsoft Surface 2 instant winner (bummer!), I did earn 200 KFR points.
  • 2 boxes of Kellogg's Strawberry Mini Wheats  (CVS) @ $2.50 each, minus $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $4.00, minus $4.00 in ECBs from previous trips = FREE
  • 1 bag of Malt O Meal Cocoa Dyno-bites (Save A Lot) @ $0.99

Dairy: $6.15 OOP
  1. I was actually glad that CVS didn't have any ECB deals on milk this week, as I still have 2 gallons in the fridge and some in the freezer as well, but I couldn't resist the 50% clearance price at Save A Lot.  Arrgh. Oh well, we'll use it.
  2. I didn't need butter either but the price was very good! I'll freeze it.
  3. Same with the Neufchatel cheese. I haven't tried freezing it in the past but I'll research to see if I can.
  • 1 gallon of skim milk (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.70
  • 2 packages of Neufchatel cheese (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.90
  • 2 yogurt cups (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $0.78
  • 1 lb of unsalted butter (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 2 cans of Carnation fat free evaporated milk (Target) @ $0.99 each, minus $0.50/2 store coupon, $0.55/2 printable manufacturer coupon, 5% Redcard discount and got $1.00 back from Checkout 51 = $0.12 MONEY MAKER
Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $3.07 OOP 


  1. Having extra time to browse at Target wasn't very good on my bottom line as far as my $50 goal, but I did find great deals!  I had just priced salsa verde at Publix (over $3.00 a jar!) so this was an awesome deal for me.  I know I have several samples of PureVia (not sure if they'll be full boxes or just a couple of packets) from PinchMe on the way but I use this multiple times during the day so I stock up when I see a great deal.  I should have bought the Mirin wine at Target too, though, as the Kikkoman brand was on sale for $4.04 and I think I have a coupon somewhere... oh well.
  2. Always check your receipts before you go and also, if an item is on sale, take a picture of the tag.  I was charged full price for the salsa verde at Target (full price was $1.29 a bottle, sale price was $1.16 a bottle) so I stopped by Customer Service and showed them the picture of the sales tag with my receipt and received a $0.78 refund.
  3. I have now officially depleted our $200 Statement Credit from American Express. It was nice to be able to apply it to groceries!
  • 1 small can of Hunt's No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (Publix) @ $0.40 and got $0.40 back from SavingStar so FREE.
  • 6  seven-ounce bottles of Taco Bell salsa verde (Target) @ $1.16 = $6.96, minus (3) $1.50/2 manufacturer printable coupons = $2.46, minus 5% Redcard discount = $2.40 (so $0.40 each)
  • 1 40-ct box of PureVia sweetener (Target) @ $1.61, minus 10% Cartwheel discount and $1.00/1 insert manufacturer coupon = 0.61, minus 5% Redcard discount = $0.58
  • 1 bottle Sun Luck mirin cooking wine (Publix) @ $4.15, minus $4.06 corresponding to the balance of the $200 American Express Statement Credit so $0.09
Produce/Juice: $18.31

  1. I definitely stocked up on produce!  I will dehydrate the strawberries, freeze the blueberries, cilantro, green beans, onions and sweet mini peppers to use in future recipes.
  2. I totally counted the number of apples in several bags before selecting this one.  I prefer bags with more, smaller apples.  This bag had 11 apples in it, 1 more than all the other ones :) I'm thinking about buying one of those hand-held hanging balances to weigh the bags of grapes at Aldi. I don't know why they won't actually weigh those, when they do weigh the bananas.  Also, if they weigh the bananas, why do they sell them in bags? It's so wasteful, I think.
  3. I'll reuse the onion bag to make a scrubby for washing my pots and pans.
  • 2 bags sweet mini peppers (Aldi) @ $1.19 each = $2.18
  • 2 containers of strawberries (Aldi) @ $1.39 each = $2.78
  • 1 bunch cilantro (Save A Lot) @ $0.50
  • 1 package mini bella mushrooms (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • 1 pint blueberries (Aldi) @ $1.59
  • 2 lbs sweet onions (Aldi) @ $0.50/lb =  $0.99
  • 5 lbs apples (Save A Lot) @ $0.60/lb = $2.99
  • 2 lbs red grapes (Aldi) @ $1.90/lb = $3.79
  • 2.66 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = 1.17 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.92
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • 2 cans Dole pineapple chunks (Target) @ $0.87 each = $1.74, minus 0.75/2 insert coupon = $0.99, minus 5% Redcard discount = $0.94 and got $1.00 back from Snap by Groupon so $0.06 MONEY MAKER.
  • 1 can cannellini beans (Aldi) @ $0.65


Proteins: $19.76 OOP and will get $4.00 back from manufacturer rebate


  1. I also stocked up on meat. The  JustBARE e-club had just emailed me $2.00/1 printable coupons last night so when I saw the drumsticks on sale for just $2.54, I figured it was the best deal to be had.  They will join the many other drumsticks I already have in the freezer :)
  2. Ditto with the steak on clearance at 50% off.
  3. I will also repackage (in packs of 4) the hot links that I got on 50% clearance at Save A Lot and freeze them.  
  4. I had some good coupons to use this week on lunch meat. I will freeze all of them since I have other packages in the fridge at this time.
  • 2 packages JustBARE chicken drumsticks (Target) @ $2.54 each = $5.08, minus (2) $2.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $1.08, minus 5% Redcard discount = $1.06.
  • 1 package Market Pantry Black Forest Ham (Target) @ $3.14, minus $1.00/1 digital store coupon = $2.14, minus 5% Cartwheel = $2.03, minus 5% Redcard discount = $1.93
  • 1 container Hillshire Farm Naturals ham (Publix) @ $4.00 and will get $4.00 back from manufacturer (so FREE)
  • 1 container Land O'Frost Black Forest Ham (Publix) @ $2.50, minus $0.75/1 insert manufacturer coupon = $1.75
  • 2 2-lb packages of hot links (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ 2.27 each = $4.54
  • 1 dozen eggs (Aldi) @ $1.19
  • 1 lb frozen salmon fillets (Aldi) @ $3.89
  • 0.51 lbs of beef tip minute steak (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $1.40

Snacks: $14.44 OOP

  1. Only the crackers and the gum were on my shopping list.  I need to have a chat with my son about him making those crackers last for a few weeks. He tends to eat individual packages a day when he sees that we're "stocked up".
  2. I added the Altoids to my cart when I realized that my printable store coupon would expire before my next shopping trip.  I had actually meant to have Greg try the Aldi "Excite" brand of mints that is priced at $0.99 a box but I know that he loves Altoids and the price wasn't that much higher.
  3. The clerk was further discounting the almonds as I was looking at them so I got a better deal than if I had put them in my cart just a few minutes earlier!  Also, I had planned on using a $1.50/2 printable coupon but the cashier had problems scanning it so she entered it manually. When I presented my digital coupon bar code at the register (for the Market Pantry lunch meat coupon), it apparently also deducted the $1.00/2 coupon that was under the same bar code!  Woohoo!  I didn't need to buy the almonds this week, but this was a great stock-up deal.
  • 1 container of chocolate hazelnut spread (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
  • 4 8-ct packages of Lance peanut butter crackers (Publix) on BOGO sale @ $3.19 = $6.38, minus (2) $1.00/2 manufacturer coupons = $4.38 (so $1.10 each)
  • 2 2-ct packages of Altoids mints (Target) @ $2.89 each, minus $0.75/2 store printable coupon = $5.03, minus 5% Redcard discount = $4.78 (so $1.20 each count)
  • 1 package of Juicy Fruit Starburst gum (Target), @ $0.99, minus $1.00/1 store printable coupon, adjusted to $0.99 = FREE
  • 2 10-oz containers of Archer Farms roasted almonds with sea salt (Target) @ 50% clearance for $3.08 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount = $5.96, minus $1.00/2 digital store coupon = $4.96, minus $1.50/2 store printable coupon = $3.46, minus 5% Redcard discount = $3.29
How did you do with your grocery shopping this week?  Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!