Sunday, March 22, 2015

In My Fridge... (Dinner Plans)


Each week I peek in my fridge to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

Note: I don't know why the font sizes vary so much in the published post.  It all looks very uniform in editing mode.  Blogger is a crappy platform, sorry!


I was off my game this past week as I didn't feel like cooking at all.  I did cook most nights (well, we had leftovers on Monday night and Greg and our son got Subway on Friday night but I cooked all the other nights, OK?) but I ended up making much simpler meals than what I had planned so I still have quite a few veggies in the fridge that I haven't used up. I'll try to fit them into the recipes that I had earmarked for this week. Greg will be out of the country most of the week and that's dangerous because I might decide that "breakfast for dinner" (which he doesn't like) is going to be our menu for the whole darn week. The kids would love that, incidentally, and what could be cheaper than pancakes and scrambled eggs?!  My daughter told me last night that she really appreciated the efforts I made to cook something different every night. She splits her time between our house and her dad's and it seems that her stepmom often cooks chicken and rice, albeit with different sauces each time.  Of course, her stepmom works outside the home, so she doesn't have as much time to put into meal planning as I do. Still, it was very nice to hear this coming from my teenage daughter. I have an awesome teenage daughter, incidentally :)

Anyhoo, here is what I plan on cooking.

MONDAY: Easy Cheesy Loaded Grits with Spinach Salad
  • From the freezer: pork and bacon sausage, diced onion
  • From the pantry: grits, diced green chiles, hot pepper sauce, paprika
  • From the fridge: sharp Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, butter, eggs, spinach, cucumber, Roma tomato, fried Wontons, homemade dressing
  • Need to harvest: cilantro
  • Need to make in advance: shred the cheese
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Classic Chicken Parmesan with Pasta and Stir-fried Collard Greens, Spinach and Mushrooms (there is no Parmesan in the recipe for Chicken Parmesan... odd!)
  • From the freezer: basil cubes, chicken breasts (use 1, keep 1 for Thursday)
  • From the pantry: flour, canola oil, pasta, breadcrumbs
  • From the fridge: Mozarella cheese, eggs, leftover pasta sauce, spinach, mushrooms
  • Need to harvest: Collard greens
  • Need to make in advance: rosemary/sun-dried tomato seasoning (apparently this is a McCormick seasoning. I'll make my own! Ingredients are "Garlic, Rosemary, Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Tomato, Sun Dried Tomato, Red Pepper , And Salt")
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Roasted Sausages and Potato-White Bean Stew with Rolls (I used my sweet potatoes so I'll use use Russet Potatoes instead)
  • From the freezer: diced onion, chicken sausages
  • From the pantry: Russet potatoes, kosher salt, pepper, EVOO, red wine vinegar
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, homemade chicken stock, the rest of the spinach
  • Need to harvest: thyme, spinach
  • Need to make in advance: rolls, garlic and herb butter
  • Need to buy: cannellini beans

THURSDAY: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: nothing
  • From the fridge: Monterey Jack cheese and whatever other cheese we have left, salsa, light sour cream
  • Need to harvest: cilantro
  • Need to make in advance: Cook chicken breast, tortillas
  • Need to buy: cream of chicken soup or I might try to make my own?! It's probably cheaper just to buy 1 small can at Aldi, though.

FRIDAY: Tuna Patties and Rice with Steamed Zucchini
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: EVOO, large tuna can, homemade bread crumbs, white rice
  • From the fridge: eggs, shredded mozarella, zucchini, parmesan cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: Cook rice in microwave in advance
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY: Monterey Chicken with Roasted Veggies and Buttermilk-JalapeƱo Corn Bread (I'll be substituting the veggies I already have on hand)
  • From the freezer: Green beans, diced sweet mini peppers, 2 chicken breasts, corn bread
  • From the pantry: EVOO, salt, pepper, flour, self-stable whipping cream,white wine
  • From the fridge: butter, homemade chicken stock, Monterey Jack or whatever cheese I have left, zucchini (if any left), mushrooms (if any left)
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY: Sticky-Glazed Salmon with Couscous and Steamed Carrots
  • From the freezer: Salmon, homemade chicken stock (for couscous)
  • From the pantry: low-sodium soy sauce, couscous, can of garbanzo beans, raisins
  • From the fridge: maple syrup, carrots
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: Salmon fillets (frozen, at Aldi, on Wednesday), rice wine (Publix?). I will use pale sherry if I can't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!