HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Happy Sunday! I printed a few coupons thanks to Coupons.com (via Swagbucks), and Redplum. I also clipped digital coupons to my Publix and Walgreens digital wallets. The Target coupons site isn't working properly this morning: all the coupons print as HTML code instead of actual coupons. I emailed Target but you and I know that they will respond that I need to "clear my cache" or "update Java/Flash" or some nonsense like that. Sigh. So I already waste 1 print of the coupons that I wanted.
- I won another 2-day free trial of the Live Gold membership with the Mars IWG. This is useless to me AND makes for my 5th and last win in the game, which means that I won't have another chance to win the Xbox One :( All in all I won 3 of those Live Gold trials (boo!), a single pack of Mars candy (yay!) and a digital Xbox One game that we already have, apparently.
- I probably won't use it but you never know... I loaded a $5/$25 apparel Target store coupon to my phone. You can get the coupon too by texting APPAREL to 827-438. Totally Target also reports that there are lots of Cartwheel offers on apparel right now.
- I realized, at 4:30 p.m., that my dinner plans included pulled chicken made in the crockpot... which needed 5 hours to cook! Arrgh. So I roasted the chicken leg quarters that I had planned on using, pulled the meat and threw it into BBQ sauce. I defrosted 2 hoagie rolls and cut them in halves to make the 4 sandwiches that I needed. I served them with Crunchy Onion Potatoes, made with a box of mashed potato flakes that I had bought last year to make Hawaiian rolls but never used, some shredded smoked gouda and sharp Cheddar cheese slices from my fridge and some French fried onions from my pantry. The original recipe also called for bacon, but I need it for a quiche that I'm making later on this week so I omitted it tonight.
- My son's phone wasn't working this morning. I tried turning it off and on again, reseating the SIM card (which seemed loose to me), etc, to no avail. I called AT&T and they had me clean the SIM card contacts with a cloth, then with an eraser, and then with a cloth again... and then mentioned that the SIM card holder needed to be slid to the right in order to hold the card in. I think that did the trick and the phone is once again working fine. Phew!
- Then later on his battery stopped charging. Greg tried cleaning the battery connectors and it still wasn't charging. In the afternoon, I took out the battery and rubbed the connectors with an eraser, both on the battery and on the phone and it started charging again. Phew x 2!
- We ran out of bread and needed some for lunch so I enrolled my son to come with me to Save A Lot (we got to spend a little time together and he pushed my cart and carried my groceries!) where I did all the shopping I needed to do there for the week thanks to my shopping list being on Google Drive (and accessible via my phone today!). I did get a box of generic Nilla wafers that I probably wouldn't have gotten if he hadn't been with me but it was only $1.29. We took my husband's truck, which gets better mileage and gassed it up for him since he has to go back out of state tomorrow. On the way back, we stopped by Walgreens where I was able to get the SavingStar freebie of the weekend. So I feel good about our trip because it ended up being frugal in spite of having to be an extra trip. And I feel great about being able to do all my shopping on Wednesday mornings, usually, when the stores are pretty empty compared to Sunday mornings! I'll account for those groceries in my weekly "Grocery Shopping This Week" post on Wednesday.
- I had leftover pumpkin soup for lunch, my son had the leftover pasta from yesterday's lunch. My daughter made some mac'n cheese ($0.39/box at Save A Lot, there are lots of leftovers for next week). I also made grilled ham n' cheese sandwiches for Greg and me.
- Kohl's emailed me a "surprise" code which ended up being 40% off but I didn't need anything from Kohl's so I didn't buy anything. Yay me!
- I filled out the survey from my Racetrac receipt and earned another survey reward code for a free bakery item.
- I claimed a $0.25 Checkout 51 rebate on the Gala apples that I bought today.
- I saved the wrapper from the margarine stick that I used for making the mashed potato flakes tonight by freezing it with the other wrappers that I have been saving. Yesterday I used one of those wrappers to grease the pie dish for my rhubarb crostada. It worked perfectly!
WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- Once again I ran out of bread (this time it was due to my daughter making French toast for breakfast and my making grilled cheese sandwiches) mid-week so I think that I'll buy 2 loaves from now on and will freeze one of them so it doesn't go bad if we don't use it. I bought 2 loaves today and froze one. This was a frugal failure because I had to make an extra trip to the store this week, even if I ended up doing all my weekly shopping for that one store today. I used to bake my own bread but it dried up too fast and when I froze it and then defrosted it, it tended to crumble very easily. So I went back to buying it. Plus, I eat way too much bread when I bake it myself.
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!
Thanks for stopping by!