Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Today's Frugal Failures and Successes: Wednesday, 3/25/15



HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
  • I drove my daughter to school and picked her up today so I could have my car for my grocery shopping run. Since I wanted to be back early to get some stuff done before my appointment with the Home Depot rep who was coming to re-measure all the windows, I started my grocery shopping trip right away, at 7:15 a.m.

  • The only problem with that is that only Publix is open that early and I only needed 3 things there.  I was able to browse a little and pick up blinkie coupons.  Since it was too early for my next stop (Save A Lot), I had to change the order in which I do things quite a bit. This saved me time this morning but cost me more money since I had time to kill in Target, waiting for Aldi to open.  Arrgh!  I stocked up on several great deals, though, and was only over budget by about $11.

  • I found a Target store coupon on the ground in the parking lot for $2.00 of Atkins protein bars. I usually wouldn't buy those, but I recently got a BOGO coupon for Atkins products, so I might be able to get a great deal on those... and use them in Greg's lunch bag.

  • I dropped off recycling (a few plastic bags, a couple of paper bags and a whole bunch of foam egg cartons and trays) at the Publix recycling bins.  I use a stretchy Glad trash bag that I got as a free sample several years ago to hold them and transport them to the recycling bins.  When it's empty, it goes back on its hook next to the recycling bin.

  • I dropped off a large box of donations at the South Lake Animal League thrift store, as well as a couple of envelopes fat with pet coupons that I had printed/clipped for them. They were very grateful.


  • On my way home I passed 3 loquat trees laden with huge fruit, but there weren't any cars in any of the driveways for me to ask if it was possible to get some of the loquat :(

  • The Home Depot Rep said that my windows should be ready to be installed in about a month.  I hope so!

FRUGAL SUCCESSES:
  • I remembered to have breakfast at home before leaving for my grocery expedition. I brought my coffee along but forgot a snack. However, I had bought peanut butter crackers at Publix, so I had one of the packs for my snack (so I wouldn't shop hungry!).

  • My son packed his lunch.



  • But I resisted buying this Kitchen Aid stand mixer for $275...


and these candles that weren't on clearance (at Target)... but boy. they smelled really, really good!



  • I got 1/4 tank of gas so I could take another Racetrac survey to earn a free bakery item.  I'm wondering if they'll still conduct the surveys in April because the current receipts still show the survey expiring 3/31.


  • I had leftovers for lunch.

  • I earned 200 KFR points by entering the codes of the Frosted Mini Wheats I bought on Kellogg's Family Rewards.

  • My son walked to the library to attend his (free) weekly teen program, and also walked back since my daughter had borrowed my car to go volunteering at a local charity.

  • I was able to open the windows and turn off the AC for a few hours today.

  • Dinner was supposed to be chicken parmesan but I had a late start so I just pan-fried breaded chicken tenders cut out of 1 chicken breast and cooked 1/2 a box of mini farfalle pasta. I served it with a spinach/strawberry/pecans salad and the kids loved it. We didn't have any leftovers but that's fine since Greg isn't here and I still have about 4 servings of Easy Loaded Grits to eat.


HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:

  • My daughter forgot her lunch at home and had to buy lunch. However, I told her the lunch amount would come out of the money she earns for doing the dishes, since it was pure negligence on her part. 

  • This is the second time that I wish I had printed a coupon that I didn't print, thinking that I wouldn't buy the item... these Pearls olives were on clearance at Target for $1.34 and there is a $1.00/1 printable coupon available right now.  Grrr!  I would have bought them for $0.34 a jar! It's hard to balance not wanted to throw away so many coupons at the end of each month but also not printing enough so that I don't miss out on a great deal like this.



Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!