HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- It was hot again today (official high of 88 but it felt hotter) so the AC ran all night and day again :( At least I didn't have to water the garden today since it poured for a good portion of the evening!
- I need to post about making grapefruit marmalade last month but I'm waiting until I actually eat some of it to report on the taste. I'm still finishing the first jar of my homemade orange marmalade so it might take a little while longer...
- I started doing a Beginner's Yoga exercise with my free subscription to My Yoga on Gaiam TV. Yeah, I lasted 10 minutes at the most. I'm so not the person for yoga. Everything is making me roll my eyes and scoff. "Root your pelvis". Pffft. "Feel how your head is balanced over your feet" (no shit). I had to turn it off because it was annoying me more than calming me. I hopped on my recumbent bike instead. As I told Greg, I "rotated my knees into the Facing Forward Fat Cow" position and I pedaled for 45 minutes while re-watching an episode of "The Americans" (we have a free 1-year Amazon Prime subscription) and editing photos on my iPhone. I felt productive and got my frugal exercise and entertainment :)
- My oldest son and his girlfriend rescheduled their visit to Saturday. They'll be coming for lunch instead of coming tonight. Honestly, I prefer that option. We can share a meal, visit and they want to go to Pig on the Pond afterwards so it's killing 2 birds with one stone for them. On our end, it frees our evening for watching more episodes of Game of Thrones, yay! lol. We've been trying to cram them so we can be fully caught up on the Blu-Rays before Greg has to go on a couple of out-of-state trips.
- I'm very frustrated with the website of the firm where we have those Roth and Traditional IRA accounts. From what I can tell, there is no way of knowing which accounts are in Greg's name or in my name and even though he transferred money from the Roth IRAs to the Traditional IRAs, they are still showing the contributions that we had designated as 2014 contributions as 2014 contributions, as if we had never transferred the money (even though they do show a balance in the Traditional IRAs that we had to open). ARRRGH. At this point, I'm going to submit the taxes to the IRS and we'll go from there.
- For dinner I roasted 2 chicken breasts with a wonderful chicken seasoning that I had found on the Ten Things Farm blog. I also made Spicy Roasted Carrots but I also added a couple of zucchinis and the acorn squash that had been in my fridge for a couple of months. The vegetables ended up getting a little more roasted than I would have liked but they were good. I made some plain couscous to go with them too and it was very filling. We have couscous leftover for a couple of lunches but we ate all the veggies and the chicken!
- After dinner Greg and I got to watch 2 more episodes of Game of Thrones. We are now starting to watch episodes that we have never seen!
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work. The kids packed their lunches to take to school.
- My daughter drove herself to school today, saving me money on gas and also some time.
- I had a cup of coffee left over from the pot I brewed yesterday afternoon to wake myself up so I had it for breakfast.
- I harvested 2 tomato (1 Roma, 1 Supersweet 100) from the garden.
- I used water that was collected by the dehumidifier that I ran in the bathroom on Tuesday morning to water my indoor basil plant. I noticed that I probably need to transplant 2 of the 3 pineapple tops that are growing roots on my windowsill.
- I finally won someone that I wanted in the Mars Instant Win Game: a Mars Chocolate Singles Pack! Woohoo! I called Greg to tell him and he thought (I kind of planned it that way, to be truthful) that I won an Xbox One, lol. We already have one so we're kind of greedy that way, but it'd be nice for our son to have one as well so they can play games together over Xbox Live. I'll keep plugging at it.
- I waited until everyone was at school/work to mix 1/2 a gallon of water with 1/2 a gallon of whole milk. It'll stretch our milk supply for the week (especially since I accidentally dumped a whole gallon in a parking lot yesterday) and save us some calories as well.
- I reused water collected in the shower to flush the toilet.
- I took a tour of my garden this morning and I'm pleased to report that I have several cabbage heads that are still forming, despite the heat! Also, the stem of the cabbage that I had harvested a couple of weeks ago is regrowing leaves. Maybe they'll become large enough that I can use them to make more stuffed cabbage leaves and slaw. Also, I rediscovered the free Photo Collage app that I had downloaded to my iPhone a couple of months ago. I had totally forgotten about it. I had fun playing with it while I was exercising on my recumbent bike this morning.
- I took the survey on my Racetrac receipt from yesterday and earned another reward code for a free bakery item. My kids are loving all the free jumbo chocolate chip muffins that I've earned since February 1st, and I'm loving that I don't have to bake (less temptation for me to eat my baked goods, lol). I hope they'll keep offering freebies past 3/31.
- I printed a few coupons via Swagbucks and also uploaded new digital coupons to my Publix Digital Wallet.
- For lunch, I salvaged 5 defrosted meatballs that had been sitting in my fridge for almost a week and about 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce from the bottom of a jar by making a meatball sub. I defrosted 1 of the hoagie rolls that I keep in the freezer, sprinkled the whole thing with a little bit of shredded smoked gouda and baked it in my toaster oven for 5 minutes. Yum and no food waste!
|It was a little burned but still delicious!|
- Publix is now officially participating in the SavingStar rebate program! IHeartPublix has a very good guide on how to make sure that you get your savings at Publix. Check it out! The good news is that we should now be able to get the freebie of the weekend at Publix. The bad news is that the 2 programs (SavingStar and Upromise) are still separate so if you activate an offer on Upromise, it won't be available at SavingStar and you will only be able to redeem it at stores that participate in the Upromise program (and vice-versa). However, for me, it might be OK, since most of the stores I use are part of SavingStar (I was only using Upromise at Publix, I think). CVS and Winn Dixie are also on Upromise but I almost never shop at Winn Dixie and just use SavingStar for CVS.
- I saved the veggie peels from dinner and froze them in a bag (to make soup or stock later on) and also the bones and skin from the 2 chicken breasts (which rejoined the other chicken bones in my freezer).
WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- We didn't have any failures today, yay!
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!
Thanks for stopping by!