|Photo taken by my brother at the Parc de Sceaux, in Paris, this month.|
HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- It's all cloudy today and supposed to remain like this all day and this weather saps my energy.
- I happened to be looking out one of the front windows when I spotted a huge possum walking towards our house. There are tree trimmers in the neighborhood so they probably disturbed her. I yelled at Greg to come and we ran outside, just as she was walking on the side yard. She looked mangy but Greg said she had a couple of babies on her back. I can't see so well, even with my glasses so I hadn't even realized it! When she saw us she started running (badaboom, badaboom, she has a huge belly) and she made a beeline for the fence in the back of our yard. She must have been here before because she knew exactly where there was a cut-out large enough for her to squeeze in... honestly, I hope she stays in the neighbors' yard. Those things are nasty. One of them nested under our house (right under our shower!) a few years back and a couple of babies died and it stunk up the place so bad... it was very hard to get everything out because the crawl space is very low in that part of the house. Since then, Greg's worked pretty hard at making sure all the openings to the crawl space have been blocked, but there's always something that manages to crawl in there anyway. I didn't think to take a picture of the possum when she was very close to us. My camera didn't turn on until she was already too far away!
- I spent my whole afternoon doing genealogy research online while listening to my favorite Smooth Jazz radio via IHeartRadio's app on our Roku so nothing else got done :)
- My daughter drove herself to school and packed a lunch. This saves us money and time, another previous commodity!
- Greg worked from home today, saving us about $20 in tolls and gas.
- Our son packed himself a lunch for school as well.
- I reused water left over in my cup from dinner last night to water my indoor herb seedlings.
- I loaded the SavingStar freebie of the weekend: it's a chocolate bar! I ate half a bag of Hershey kisses yesterday so chocolate is definitely on my mind.
- I mixed 1/2 a gallon of water with 1/2 a gallon of whole milk to make it last longer.
- I saved the "crumbs" at the bottom of a box of Strawberry Frosted Mini Wheats. It's ridiculous that I can't seem to just throw those away. I always mean to add them to cookies and muffins but I have forgotten to do this lately.
- It rained last night, not tons of water but enough that I don't have to water the garden today. It's supposed to rain again tonight.
- I'm never buying body wash again... there was a recent article on a national blog about Dove "beauty bars" and how they're not soap but shaped like soap so women buy it, but they're just a block of shortening, basically. The article went on to explain how soap works (by getting under the layer of crud on your skin and lifting it up so it can be washed away) whereas Dove beauty bars smell good but just layers on more crud. Well, I think body wash (my current one is Dial, I think) is the same... my heels just wouldn't get clean (I walk barefoot in my backyard a lot) no matter how hard I scrubbed. This morning I was frustrated and reached for a bar of soap instead and I didn't even have to scrub all that hard to get clean! So hasta la vista, shower gel. I'm a soap girl from now on...
- I reused water collected in the shower to flush the toilet.
- I harvest some basil to make a caprese salad for my lunch.
- I was so hungry at 10:30 a.m. that I suggested to Greg I pick us up lunch from Subway. However, I changed my mind shortly after... I don't really care for Subway anymore and we had sandwich ingredients at home. Plus, I'll be doing the shopping tomorrow instead of next Wednesday so I can pick up extra lunch meat then (I was afraid we wouldn't have enough for the kids this weekend).
- Dinner plans were changed. I used the recipe that I was planning on cooking tomorrow since we didn't do Family Movie Night tonight. Instead of making my own pasta, I used a package of Ronzoni penne. I also used 2 chicken breasts instead of thighs and a package of organic dehydrated mushrooms since I had used up all the fresh mushrooms. It was very good and my son had thirds!
- I ordered a free packet of wildflower seeds from Cascadian Farms!
WE SPLURGED ON:
- My daughter volunteered at the Relay for Life event tonight with her NHS chapter. My son and I joined her for an hour and donated money by purchasing luminaries to honor 3 people from our family who had/have cancer and donating the rest of our cash to the NHS booth.
- The Air France Flying Blue frequent flyer program let me know that my miles are expiring in September but that I can redeem them for merchandise. I don't have much in my account, but enough to order one of those hand-held scales to weigh your luggage. This would come in very handy for the kids and me when we're flying this summer. But when I went to order it, I can't log in to their website... each time I have them email me a temporary password, their system rejects it and now they're threatening to lock up my account because I've tried to log in too many times! Grrrr. I'll have to try again tomorrow.