HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Greg and our son came home today, hooray! They, however, got stuck in Easter weekend traffic (who even knew that was a thing?) so it took them way longer to get home than they had planned.
- My bathroom is finally done. I took down the blue painter's tape today. Since my shower curtain was a pale green to start with, I don't have to replace any accessories save for a bath mat that is blue. It doesn't bother me, though, so it might stay.
- I also started scrubbing the paint splatters left on the wooden floor of the upstairs bedroom that I finished painting recently. I used a Dollar Tree "magic sponge" look alike that was surprisingly sturdy. I still need to scrub them some more with harder stuff but the worst is gone.
- My daughter confirmed that she'll be living with us full-time starting next week. It'll be less stressful for her not to have to switch households every Sunday any more. As for us, it will mean higher costs since she'll now be driving to school with my car most days and to her volunteering activities on weekends, and of course will be using more food, electricity, etc. I don't mind but it's part of a frugal blog's disclosure!
- My Harlan Coben thriller is due back at the library on Monday and I hadn't even started it so I spent a few hours reading on my back porch. It was one of the tasks on my to-do list, I swear!
- It rained last night, not a ton (my bins aren't full) but enough that I didn't need to water the garden this morning and that I have some water to collect into jugs for storage... only, I have no empty jugs right now!
- Still eating down the old generic Cheerios for breakfast. The gallon of milk that I just opened (bought over a week ago) is starting to taste a little "off" so I might have to make pudding and milkshakes with it. I'm sure no one will complain!
- I sliced and dehydrated the 2nd $1.00 pineapple. I forgot to get yogurt at Publix yesterday so I ended up composting the pineapple rinds instead of trying to make tepache.
- I enjoyed my morning coffee on the back porch, at my new patio table! I was joined by 2 Cardinals (a male and a female) at the cardinal bird feeder.
- Publix's Best Meals at Home e-newsletter sent me a survey to fill out and in exchange I was able to print 3 awesome coupons, including one for $1.25 off a can of Progresso soup, which should allow me to get a freebie the next time it's on sale.
- After I was done with my morning chores, I enjoyed my lunch on the patio again. I made a sandwich with the last 3 slices of bacon that were turning a little rancid and a salad with the bottom of a head of Romaine that was turning slightly brown. I added more of the fried wontons that I saved from a former Chinese take-out order and used my homemade mustard vinaigrette. Aldi's grape tomatoes this week are so sweet, they taste like candy! Yum. For dessert, I ate the rest of the cantaloupe that I had bought at Aldi a week ago. I had to cut away a part that was rotting but the rest was still good and very sweet. I'm glad I got to eat it before it went bad, because there was no outside sign that it was starting to spoil. Once again, I saved the bacon grease in a jar in the fridge.
- I baked a loaf of bread and made a new batch of bread dough.
- For dinner I made tuna patties with the large can of tuna we inherited from Greg's parents, homemade bread crumbs, and other ingredients. I served it with white rice and steamed zucchini with homemade bread on the side.
- Our pediatrician's office sent me a bill for $38 because my insurance company won't pay for the strep throat test and flu tests that my son underwent when he was very sick in February. I'll be calling the insurance company to discuss this on Monday. What a PITA.
- Well poop, the Cocoa Pebbles rebate from Snap is "all gone". I guess no CVS shopping for me on Sunday after all...
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!