Friday, April 24, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 4/24/15

Inspired by The Frugal Girl blog who started it all...

Here is what I had to throw away I threw away this week...
Why the struck through text? Because the devil is in the planning... 99% if the time,  if I had planned better, I wouldn't have had to throw away food. 
  • I can't complain too much about the 3 moldy strawberries that I found in my fridge yesterday as I bought those strawberries over a week and a half ago and they're just now starting to be soft/moldy.  I had left them to soak in diluted vinegar for several hours when I first got them, or they would have gotten bad way before.  I composted them.  There are only a few more strawberries in the quart, and I should be able to finish them in my morning cereal over the next day.

Update: Phew!  It occurred to me mid-morning that I hadn't checked on the chocolate pudding cups that I had made last week with slightly spoiled milk and that I still had about 1/2 a gallon left of said spoiled milk in the very back of my fridge. I just checked and the pudding cups smell fine (I'll have one for lunch to make sure they are indeed edible, still) and the milk smells like sour cream.  I just got a pie crust patty out of the freezer so I can try to make buttermilk pie with the sour milk.  It sounds delicious and I hope it is! If it works, I might just freeze the sour milk and label it "buttermilk".

Update #2: I did have to compost 3-4 small stalks of collard greens that I had harvested but not cooked.  I will cook the rest for lunch today.

This is it!  We had a great week!



On the bright side, here is what I saved this week!


  • 1/2 a container of heavy whipping cream: I didn't have any plans for it so I threw it into the mashed potatoes that I made earlier in the week instead of using milk.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!