Friday, April 3, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 4/3/15


Inspired by The Frugal Girl blog who started it all...

Here is what I had to throw away I threw away this week...
Why the struck through text? Because the devil is in the planning... 99% if the time,  if I had planned better, I wouldn't have had to throw away food. 

  • I found this in the trash.  The trash!  Not only should it have been composted, but look at how much apple is left on this! I told the culprit in no uncertain terms that from now on, the apple slicer is to be used. And I composted this with a heavy heart.

  • I also had to compost a very VERY brown banana that had liquefied. How?! we love bananas and usually we have no waste there. 



  • I had to throw away 1/2 a box of cake mix because my daughter had opened it and left it in the pantry... and the pantry moths found it, of course.



  • The cup of homemade chicken stock that I was keeping in the fridge had turned, so I had to dump it down the sink.



On a brighter side, here is what I saved this week!


  • I chopped the cilantro that I had bought and had gotten limp and froze it in some water with the help of an ice cube tray.



  • I turned a pack of mushrooms that was getting slimy and the rest of a bag of spinach (along with some spinach harvested from my garden)  into delicious Crêpes Florentine.


  • I made 2 loaves of chocolate chip banana bread with 5 brown bananas. I froze the bread in half loaves so we don't eat too much of it in one serving.

  • I continued using up the fried wontons that the Chinese restaurant has given us the last couple of times we got take-out... I use them as croutons in my lunch time salads.  In the meantime, I keep them in the vegetable drawer of my fridge, where they seem to stay fresh and crisp.


How did you do this past week?

    3 comments:

    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cooks slimy mushrooms! Why do they get slimy so quickly?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Have you thought about freezing your chicken broth in cubes? I was having the same issue with broth and discovered that after using one of those silicon "big cube" trays, I've been able to measure and portion out my broth better and NO food waste b.c my freezer saves me and I don't lose any of that awesome homemade broth i've made. I'm late joining your blog so you may already have this under control - or too much broth! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's a very good idea, thanks for sharing. I've seen those silicone trays at Target but the price stopped my from getting them. Maybe I'll have to see if I can get them cheaper on Amazon or if Kohl's has them as I always stumped when I have Kohl's cash to spend. Right now freezing the broth/stock in jars or recycled 32 oz yogurt cups works well for me since the recipes I use usually call for 1 to 2 cups of it per recipe anyway. But certainly, it would work for smaller amounts.
        I love it when people share ideas that they have. Don't worry about whether or not I might already "have it under control" because if I do, other readers might get inspiration from your comment. I know I read comments on my favorite blogs because I usually glean just as much inspiration from the comments than from the posts. Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!