Friday, April 10, 2015

Food Waste Friday

Inspired by The Frugal Girl blog who started it all...

Here is what I had to throw away I threw away this week...
Why the struck through text? Because the devil is in the planning... 99% if the time,  if I had planned better, I wouldn't have had to throw away food. 


  • An envelope of Teriyaki marinade and one of Sloppy Joes seasoning because the pantry moths had drilled through the outer wrapping and colonized the insides.  Gross!  I did save adjacent gravy mix envelopes that hadn't been touched yet by dumping the contents into several upcycled glass jars.


  • 2 moldy strawberries from 2 different quarts of strawberries. I had bought them more than 5 days prior but forgotten to rinse them in diluted vinegar so I can't really complain... I composted them.


  • Half a small homemade cheese pizza that I made with very old pizza dough mix. I managed to eat half of it but couldn't make myself eat the other half.


  • I noticed that one can of tomatoes looked like it had developed a slight dome and when I opened it, it made a noise as if some carbonation was escaping... the tomatoes smelled fine but I didn't want to take any chances so I composted them.







On the bright side, here is what I saved this week!



I made spinach dip by using an old envelope of spinach dip mix (sell-by date was 2013) and the rest of some Greek yogurt that I had made with Aldi plain yogurt, a couple of weeks ago (I added some light mayo as well). I was glad to finally use up the yogurt and get that dip envelope out of my pantry. I ate the dip with homemade bread, over several days (no one else likes spinach dip here).



I made myself a cheese pizza with an old (probably circa 2010) envelope of pizza dough mix, the rest of mozzarella cheese that I had shredded but not used up and some bruschetta topping sauce that I didn't even know I had in my pantry. However, it was pretty gross so I only ate half of it and had to throw the other half away (see Food Waste section).


I had a whole gallon of sour whole milk to use up: I made a chocolate chip pancakes, a double batch of buttermilk corn bread (substituting the sour milk for the buttermilk), 24 chocolate cupcakes, and some instant chocolate pudding. Yes, we love chocolate!  I still have some sour milk left so I might try to make buttermilk pie, which is apparently a traditional southern recipe. I saw a couple of recipes in Southern Living magazines that I had rescued from the library's donation pile.

There was an old (as in over a year old), large box of Publix-brand cheerios on my cereal shelf that the kids weren't eating so I endeavored it eat it myself, over the last couple of weeks.  Not my favorite but I grew to like it when mixed with fresh or dehydrated strawberries. I ate the last cup of it for breakfast this morning!

    1 comment:

    1. Great successes this week! I'm just now learning about how to save sour milk. I wish I had known this a few years ago. Right now we are all on non-dairy milk, but I'm sure we will introduce it back to our diet eventually. I'm so happy to know that there are ways to salvage the sour milk!

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!