Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 3 to 4 people (2 adults, 1 of 2 teens depending on the weeks). 

Since I stocked up on meat last months, I'm going to try to spend only $50 per week in April.

Let's see how I did! 

Note: this includes freebies that I received AFTER last Wednesday's shopping trip but before today, since they technically count for my April grocery budget :) (Last Wednesday was my last March grocery shopping trip).

Budget for the week: $50.00
Total OOP: $54.60
Rebates expected: $0.75
Total spent after rebates: $53.85
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET BY $3.85


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.99 OOP
  1. I realized (too late!) today that Aldi is cheaper for the white bread since theirs is $0.85.
  • 1 loaf of white bread (Save A Lot) @ $0.99


 Cereals: $8.00 OOP and got 1,000 Balance Reward points


  1. I stocked up on Special K for my daughter since I could get a very good deal. She calculated that it should last her for 1 month.  It had better!
  2. I earned 680 KFR points by entering the points from the boxes of Kellogg's cereals in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account
  • 6 boxes of Special K cereal (CVS) on sale @ $2.50 each, minus $5/$15 CVS store coupon, minus (6) $0.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $7.00
  • 2 boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats (Walgreens) @ $2.50 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $3.50 and I redeemed $2.50 in Register Rewards so $1.00 and got 1,000 Balance Reward points back

Dairy: $7.50 OOP


  1. I didn't need the butter but at $1.00 a package... hello?!  I'm actually thinking about some errand I could run near Publix so I could get another package since I have another coupon and the sale doesn't end until Saturday :)
  2. No milk needed this week since I still have over 1 gallon of whole milk in the fridge (that hasn't been cut with water!) and lots of milk in the freezer.
  • 2 cans Carnation evaporated milk (Target) @ $0.99 each, minus $0.50/2 Target printable store coupon and $0.55/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $0.93, minus 5% Redcard discount = $0.88 and got $1.00 back from Checkout 51  = $0.12 MONEY MAKER
  • 1 12-oz package of Fit & Active American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 7 cups of Fit & Active yogurt cups (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $2.73
  • 1 12-oz package of Galbani mozzarella (Publix) on sale @ $3.00, minus $1.00/1 digital manufacturer coupon = $2.00
  • 1 lb Publix brand unsalted butter (Publix), on sale @ $2.00, minus $1.00/1 Target printable store coupon (for Market Pantry butter) = $1.00
Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $1.29 OOP and will get $0.75 back from SavingStar
  1. I ended up making 2 trips to Target this morning (once by myself and once with my friend Jodie) so I was able to grab 2 jars of the free pasta sauce. Woohoo!
  2. I didn't need the chicken broth but I needed to purchase an extra item as cheaply as possible in order to be able to use the Register Reward at Walgreens (their coupon rules are INANE as you have to have the same or larger number of items than the number of coupons you're using and their Register Rewards each count as a manufacturer coupon!) so I grabbed this instead of a candy bar.
  • (2) jars of Market Pantry marinara sauce (Target), on sale @ $1.00 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 Target printable store coupons = FREE
  • (1) 40-ct box of Truvia sweetener (Publix) @ $3.79, minus $2.00/1 manufacturer coupon (came in with a sample I received in the mail), minus $1.00/1 Publix store coupon = $0.79 and will get $0.75 back from SavingStar, so $0.04.
  • (1) can of Butterball chicken Broth (Walgreens) @ $1.09, minus $0.59 Walgreens store coupon (from weekly ad) = $0.50

Produce/Juice: $15.58

  1. I went overboard with the produce this week because... OMZ!  What deals!  I couldn't believe it when I saw the price on the grapes. They weren't "old" or anything so I had to double check with the manager that it wasn't a mistake and it wasn't.  I would have bought more but I didn't have room in my fridge.
  2. I had to go back to Save A Lot a 2nd time since they didn't have the chicken out when I first went and during my 2nd trip I spotted 2 pineapples on clearance at $1.00 each.  No tops to regrow, but that's OK.  I will dehydrate them to use in my morning oatmeal.
  3. I sure did count the apples in each 8-lb bag but they all had 16 apples in them. They are HUGE. Hopefully they won't spoil too fast. I'll keep an eye on them and dehydrate them if they start turning brown.
  4. During my 2nd trip to Target, I realized that the strawberries that were on sale for $2.00 weren't local strawberries but Driscoll's!  I used 3 of my $0.75/1 coupons and gave one to my friend Jodie. I will dehydrate mine since Greg and I both love them on cereal in the mornings.
  5. I wasn't planning on getting the cucumber or grape tomatoes but since we have lettuce to harvest and eat, I wanted to make sure we had other veggies to throw in salads.
  • 5.52 lbs of red grapes (Save A Lot) @ on flash sale (?) $0.50/lb = $2.77!
  • 3 lbs of sweet potatoes (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • 1 large cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 8 lbs of Red Delicious apples (Save A Lot) on sale @ $3.99
  • (3) quarts of Driscoll's strawberries (Target), on sale @ $2.00 each, minus (3) $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $3.75
  • 0.72 lbs of Roma tomatoes (Save A Lot) @ $1.29/lb = $0.93
  • 2 pineapples (Save A Lot) on clearance @ $1.00 each = $2.00
  • 1.85 lbs of bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $0.81 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.56

Proteins: $8.35 OOP

  1. I was pessimist and didn't think Target would have the eggs in stock but they had lots of them. Since I went there before going to Aldi, I only bought 1 dozen.  After Aldi, since they were more expensive there, I decided to go back to Target to get more (and also get more free pasta sauce!).  These will last several weeks.
  2. I wanted to get more chicken breasts but I'm glad I didn't since it was already like playing Tetris to make those 2 packages fit in my freezer!  However, I think I'm going to take them back and repackage them in 3 bags of 2 breasts each since we usually use 2 breasts for 1 meal.

  • 3 dozen eggs (Target), on sale @ $0.99 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount and 5% Redcard discount = $2.37 and got $0.25 back from Snap by Groupon = $2.12
  • 3.48 lbs of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.79/lb = $6.23

Snacks: $12.89 OOP


  1. My "snacks" total is too high this week but it's because I stocked up on nuts on clearance at Target and I also stocked up on my favorite gum since it was on BOGO sale at Publix.
  • 2 Cadbury Chocolate creme eggs (CVS) on BOGO sale @ $0.99 and got $0.99 back from SavingStar so FREE but had to pay $0.06 in tax
  • 1 single package of Juicy Fruit Starburst gum (Target) @ $0.99, minus $0.99/1 Target printable store coupon = FREE.
  • 5 jumbo chocolate muffins (Racetrac) @ $1.39 each but FREE after survey reward code redemptions (only 2 pictured)
  • 1 large croissant (Racetrac) @ $1.39 but FREE after survey reward code redemption (not pictured)
  • 1 16-oz container of Archer Farms raw chopped walnuts (Target) on 50% clearance @ 4.98 minus $0.75 (from $1.50/2 Archer Farms printable coupon) = $4.23, minus 5% Redcard discount so $4.02
  • 1 8-oz container of Archer Farms dry roasted sliced almonds (Target) on 50% clearance @ $2.74, minus $0.75 from $1.50/2 Archer Farms printable coupon) = $1.99, minus 5% Redcard discount so $1.89
  • 4 bottles of Mentos sugar-free gum (Publix), on BOGO sale @ 3.49 = $6.98

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!