Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens). 

Since I stocked up on meat last months, I'm going to try to spend only $50 per week in April.

This week's shopping was done Saturday-Monday since I knew I'd be stuck at home for several days due to our new windows' installation. We went over because we splurged a little and I also stocked up on lunchmeats.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $50.00
Total OOP: $67.93
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $67.93
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET by $17.93 (but not really since my actual budget is $100)


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP





  • 2 large hazelnut-flavored coffees (Racetrac), FREE after redemption of survey reward codes.
  • 2 single-pot samples of Gevalia coffree (PinchMe.com), FREE


Breads/Baked Goods: $2.59 OOP
 
  1. I couldn't resist getting free items so I got the 4 packs of Flatout thin pizza crusts even though I much prefer rising crust, usually.  There are 6 to a pack.  I put one in the fridge (and used half of it on Saturday night since pizza was on the menu anyway) and froze the others.
  • (2) loaves of white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
  • (1) package of hot dog buns (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • (4) packages of Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza crusts (Publix, FREE after BOGO sale and BOGO coupons


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $8.88 OOP
  1. Milk is actually only $2.99 at my local Walgreens this week and CVS has ECBs on theirs, something that I would have realized had I not been so engrossed into genealogical research last week that I neglected to look at the ad previews for those stores. I would have gone shopping on Sunday instead of Saturday...
  • 1 gallon of whole milk (Aldi) @ $3.39
  • (1) 32-oz container of plain yogurt (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 10 cups of Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $3.90
  • 1 cup of Yoplait Greek 100 Whips! yogurt (Publix) @ $1.00 but a $0.30 MONEY MAKER when the register automatically deducted $1.30 instead of $1.00 when the cashier scanned my coupon.

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $8.43 OOP 



  1. I had planned on making my own enchilada sauce for later on in the week but Aldi didn't have the larger cans of tomato sauce and I was feeling lazy so I bought enchilada sauce. I froze what I didn't use in an upcycled Chinese take-out container.
  2. Same with pizza sauce, although I kept the leftovers in the fridge since we still have 3 pizza crusts in the fridge that need to be used. 
  3. I didn't need the cans of soup this week but I wanted to make sure I had some in stock for future recipes.
  4. I wouldn't usually buy a small bottle of Kraft mayo but I needed it to make Russian dressing when I realized at the 11th hour that I didn't have enough. This will have to do until I can get a large, cheaper (per oz) container of light mayo at Aldi.
  • (2) packages of plain couscous (Aldi) @ $1.29 each = $2.58
  • (1) large can of enchilada sauce (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • (1) jar of pizza sauce (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • (1) can of Fit & Active cream of mushroom soup (Aldi) @ $0.79
  • (1) can of Fit & Active cream of chicken soup (Aldi) @ $0.79
  • (1) package of Seeds of Change Indian Rice Blend (Publix), FREE after manufacturer coupon
  • (1) 12-oz bottle of Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil (Publix), on sale for $2.49 minus $1.00/1 digital manufacturer coupon = $1.49
  • (4) sample packets of PureVia sweetener (PinchMe.com) FREE
Produce/Juice: $19.09
  1. The cucumbers are actually on sale for $0.29 at Aldi starting today.  I want to go get more to make refrigerated pickles but the truth is that I just made 2 jars and there is absolutely no room in my fridge so I will have to pass.
  2. There are TONS of produce rebates on the Snap by Groupon app this morning (albeit $0.25 each), it's killing me that I'm not going shopping, lol!
  • 1 bottle of SimplyNature organic apple juice (Aldi) @ $2.49
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • 8 lbs of Russet potatoes (Save A Lot) @ $2.99
  • 2 cucumbers (Aldi) @ $0.59 each = $1.18
  • 2 packages of mushrooms (Aldi) @ $0.79 each = $1.58
  • 2.76 lbs of bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.21 minus $0.25 rebate from Checkout 51 = $0.96
  • 5 lbs of Red Delicious apples (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
  • 2.64 lbs of red grapes (Save A Lot) @ $0.99/lb = $2.61
  • 3 Haas avocadoes (Save A Lot) @ $0.89 each = $2.67
  • 0.65 lbs of Roma tomatoes (Save A Lot) @ $0.69/lb = $0.45
  • 2 cans of black beans (Aldi) @ $0.59 each = $1.18
Proteins: $15.31 OOP
  1. When I saw that the Oscar Mayer lunchmeat was on BOGO at Publix and that the price per package was cheaper than Aldi or Save A Lot's lunch meat and that I wouldn't have to recycle those plastic containers, I decided to stock up a bit. I should have bought more but my freezer is quite full. I froze the 2 packs of turkey and one of the ham.
  2. The salami packages were an indulgence. I love salami, they were on sale and I had good coupons for them.
  3. I have used tofu in recipes only once, I think, but we like it in miso soup whenever we're at the sushi restaurant. There was a great sale and I had high value coupons, but they were out of the plain kind. I got the Sesame Ginger kind and I'll look up recipes on their website.  I'm not sure if you can freeze tofu... gotta research that!
  4. I almost grabbed the 8 oz package of smoked salmon since the coupon for the free Vita product said "up to $7.99" and the 8-oz package was $7.99, but I realized very soon that the coupon also specified "3- or 4-oz package". Still, FREE!
  • (4) dozens eggs (Save A Lot) @ $0.99 each = $3.96
  • (2) packages of Oscar Mayer Oven Roasted Turkey Breast (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.19
  • (2) packages of Oscar Mayer Ham (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.19
  • (2) packages of Nasoya Sesame Ginger TofuBaked tofu (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.99, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $1.99
  • (1) 3-oz package of Vita smoked lox salmon (Publix), FREE after manufacturer coupon
  • (2) packages of Oscar Mayer Old World Salami packages (Publix), on sale for $2.49 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 digital manufacturer coupons = $1.49 each or $2.98

Snacks: $13.63 OOP and got $3.00 back in Register Rewards



  • (4) boxes of Horizon organic chocolate graham snacks (Publix), on sale for $2.00 each, minus (2) Target printable store coupons, (1) BOGO manufacturer coupon, and a $2.00 digital manufacturer coupon (I had a BOGO digital coupon that the register applied automatically when I entered my home phone number?!) = FREE
  • 2 pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (Publix) @ $10.26 total after tax (not pictured)
  • (1) 9.9 oz bag of Crispy M&M's (Walgreens) @ $2.99 and got $3.00 in Register Rewards but got charged $0.48 in taxes for all the chocolate candy so $3.47
  • (1) king size bag of Crispy M&M's (Walgreens) @ $1.99 minus 2.09 coupon = $0.10 MONEY MAKER
  • (1) 1.55 oz of Hershey Milk Chocolate (Walgreens) @ 1.19 and got $1.19 back from SavingStart so FREE
How close to your budgeted amount did you come this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!