Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens). 

Since I stocked up on quite a few things over the last months, I'm going to try to spend only $50 per week in May.

Even though this shopping trip took place in April, I'm counting it towards May's grocery expenses since I shop for Wed-Tue so most of this food will be consumed during the month of May.  It might look like I went over budget since I spent more than $50 but since my actual budget is $100, I actually did pretty well :)

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $50.00
Total OOP: $98.86 minus $10.00 Target gift card = $88.86
Rebates expected: $11.48
Total spent after rebates: $77.38 and also got $5.00 in Extracare Bucks
Money left in budget: over budget by $27.38 but technically under budget by $22.62 :)


Baking Supplies: $9.52 OOP and I will get $5.49 back from a MIR



 

  1. I use the unbleached flour for baking bread and Target has the best deal on it, especially coupled with a Cartwheel discount and a store coupon.  I had to buy 3 bags to be able to use the coupon, though.
  2. I spied those Try Me Free offers on boxes of Immaculate Baking Co baking mixes at Target so chose the brownie mix. There's probably a printable coupon available somewhere too but I hadn't printed one.
  •  (3) 5-lb bags of Market Pantry unbleached flour (Target) @ $1.92 each, minus $1.00/3 Target store coupon, 5% Cartwheel discount and 5% Redcard discount = $4.30 (or $1.43 each).
  • A box of Immaculate Baking Co Brownie Mix (Target) @ $5.49 minus 5% Redcard discount =  $5.22 and I will get $5.49 back from a mail-in rebate so $0.27 MONEY MAKER.

Beverages: $3.29 OOP
  1. I didn't need the peppermint tea this week, but since I was at the Dollar Tree anyway, I got a box to stock up and save me a stop next week.
  2. I've been lazy recently and drinking ginger ale once in a while. I usually only buy it for Greg to have on hand when he feels nauseous. I need to store it somewhere where I don't see it so I stop drinking it!
  • FREE lemonade from Racetrac: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
  • FREE frozen slushie from Racetrac: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday
  • FREE large coffee from Racetrac: Saturday, Sunday
  • FREE XL coffee from Dunkin' Donuts: Tuesday
  • A 12-pack of Ginger Ale (Save A Lot) @ $2.29
  • A box of peppermint herbal tea (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.85 OOP




  • 2 packages Flatout Artisan Bread (Publix), on BOGO @ $2.99 and used (2) BOGO printable manufacturer coupons = FREE!
  • A loaf of white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85


Cereals: $9.43 OOP, I received $3.00 in Extracare Bucks and will receive $0.50 from SavingStar.
  1. I wasn't sure Walgreens would have the Lucky Charms since I went to CVS first so I got cereal there. It was an OK deal if you factor in the ECBs that I received.
  2. Then I went to Walgreens and found Lucky Charms boxes with BOGO coupons printed on the back!  I bought their whole stock and got amazing deals when I redeemed Register Rewards and Balance Rewards as well!  In addition, by combining a Publix or Winn Dixie BOGO sale with those BOGO coupons, I should be able to get another 14 boxes of General Mills cereals for free! I now need to hide the boxes of Lucky Charms so my son doesn't eat them all in one week, though!

  • (1) box each of Cocoa Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Reese's Puffs (CVS) on sale at 3/$9.00, minus $1.75 in printable manufacturer coupons = $7.25 and I received $3.00 in Extracare Bucks. I will also receive $0.50 back from SavingStar for the Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
  • (3) boxes of Lucky Charms (Walgreens), on sale at $1.99 each.  Redeemed $1.75 in printable manufacturer coupons and $3.00 in Register Rewards = $1.22
  • (4) boxes of Lucky Charms (Walgreens), on sale at $1.99 each. Redeemed (2) $1.00/2 coupons and 5,000 Balance Reward points = $0.96

Dairy: $16.85 OOP and got $2.00 in Extracare Bucks


  1. I got the milk from CVS since there were ECBs offered on 2 gallons, but dumped a gallon in the Walgreens parking lot accidentally. Thankfully, I managed to save 3/4 of the gallon!
  • 2 gallons of whole milk (CVS) @ $3.79 = $7.58 and got $2.00 in ECBs
  • 10 cups of Fit & Active yogurts (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $3.90
  • 2 8-oz blocks of mozzarella (Aldi) @ $1.79 each = $3.58
  • 1 8-oz block of mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $1.79

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $16.85 OOP 


  1. I only bought the Hamburger and Chicken Helper so I could get the ground beef for free.  Those are flavors we haven't tried before but I think the kids will like them, especially if I bake them in a casserole kind of dish.
  2. Greg had asked me for crunchy peanut butter recently and when I saw the large jar on "Special" at Aldi, I didn't even try to see if it was the best price around. I think it is, though.
  3. I had been looking for the Fit & Active light mayo at Aldi for 3 weeks but they didn't have it. They just got a shipment so I stocked up by buying 2 jars.
  4. I also stocked up no NSA tomato sauce, just in case I didn't have any. But I did. Grrr.
  5. I shouldn't have bought the gravy before using up the packets of gravy mix that I rescued a couple of weeks ago, but it's so much easier just to open a jar and they had a 50% Cartwheel discount for them at Target.
  6. Note to self: the bottles of spices are larger at Dollar Tree than at Save A Lot, even though they're $1 at each store.
  • (2) cans Campbell's Chunky soup (Publix), on BOGO @ $2.39, minus (2) $1.25/1 printable manufacturer coupons (for taking survey) = $0.11 MONEYMAKER
  • (4) 4-oz cans of No Salt Added tomato sauce (Save A Lot) @ $0.25 each = $1.00
  • (4) jars of Heinz gravy (Target), on sale @ $1.59 each, minus 50% Cartwheel, minus 5% Redcard discount = $0.79 each = $3.00
  • 1 jar of sauerkraut (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 1 jar of chili powder (Save A Lot) @ $1.00
  • 3 boxes of Hamburger/Chicken Helper (Save A Lot) @ $1.00 each = $3.00
  • (1) 40-oz jar of crunchy peanut butter (Aldi), on special @ $3.49
  • (2) jars of Fit & Active light mayo (Aldi) @ $1.89 each = $3.78
Produce/Juice: $11.60



  1. I missed out on the strawberries over the weekend because I hadn't seen them at Target (so I got the raspberries) so when I went back on Tuesday, I decided to get some. I rinsed them in diluted vinegar so they take longer to spoil.
  2. I didn't need cucumbers but it was such a great price at $0.29 and the ones they had were monstrous!  I will make more refrigerated zesty pickles with them and the jalapeƱos that I harvested because we enjoy them on sandwiches.
  3. The baby carrots are for my daughter.  If she doesn't eat them, I'll throw them into a crockpot with the next stew I cook.
  • (2) 6-oz packages of raspberries (Target) @ $2.49 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus 5% Redcard discount = $2.59 (or $1.295 each)
  • 5 lbs Red Delicious apples (Publix) on sale @ $1.99
  • 1 bag of baby carrots (Aldi) on special @ $0.59
  • 1 large cucumber (Aldi) on special @ $0.29
  • 2.53 lbs of brown bananas (Save A Lot) on sale @ $0.29/lb = $0.73 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.48
  • (2) 2-lb containers of Driscoll's strawberries (Target), on sale @ $4.19 each, minus 5% Cartwheel, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus 5% Redcard discount = $5.66
Proteins: $20.26 OOP and will get $5.49 back from MIR


  1. I will divide the packages of turkey and ham and freeze half of each to use next week. They're larger than the ones I usually buy and they don't come in those annoying (at this point because I have too many of those!) plastic containers.

  • (2) 1-lb packages of Gold'n Plump ground chicken @ $3.59 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 Target store discount, minus (2) $1.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons from Gold'n Plump e-club, minus 5% Redcard discount = $2.07 and I am also deducting the $0.15 discount I got for using 3 reusable bags so $1.92.
  • (2) dozens eggs (CVS), on sale @ $1.29 each = $2.58
  • (1) 9-oz package of oven roasted turkey (Aldi) @ $3.29
  • 1 1-lb package of Black Forest Ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 1 1-lb package of lean ground beef (Save A Lot) @ $5.49 and will get $5.49 back from mail-in rebate so FREE
  • 1 1-lb bag of tilapia (Aldi) @ $3.49

Snacks: $10.21 OOP



  1. Can you tell I was hungry when I went shopping?!  I had brought a snack with me but that wasn't enough. None of this was on my shopping list apart from the freebies. Oh well, they won't go to waste :)
  • 1 bag of mini pretzels (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • (2) boxes of Little Debbie's Cosmic Brownies (Save A Lot) @ $1.69 each, minus (2) $0.95/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $1.48
  • 1 single pack of M&M's (CVS) @ $1.19, minus $1.19 manufacturer coupon (from an IWG) = FREE
  • 1 package peanut butter cheese crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 1 12-oz bag of all natural almonds (Aldi) @ $5.49
  • 1 bag of Just Basics cheese party mix (CVS) @ $1.00 minus 30% discount but didn't get charged for it so FREE
  • 1 donut (Dunkin'Donuts), FREE after survey code redemption
  • 1 muffin (Dunkin' Donuts), @ $1.69, minus Valpak coupon = $0.99 plus tax = $1.06
  • 1 ham. egg and cheese croissant (Racetrac), FREE after Sodapalooza coupon redemption

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!