HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- I had another meh night last night, despite all the exercising I did yesterday. Ugh. I woke up more tired than I ought to have been. I was thinking that I might splurge into lowering the AC even more at night so I don't have to have the fan on. Despite the advantage of the white noise (some neighbors a couple of streets over had a very late and very loud party on Saturday night, ugh), the cold air blowing on me from that angle bothers me more than it helps cool me. I think I might try it tonight to see if it helps at all.
- It did rain last night, even to fill out half the bin that was best positioned to collect rainwater from the roof, and several inches in the other ones. So I don't need to water the garden and I have water for subsequent days... however, I see we have high chances of rain or thunderstorms every day this week.
- I packed Greg a lunch to take to work but told the kids to buy theirs at school since we're low on bread.
- My daughter drove herself to school, saving me a round trip (i.e, gas and money).
- I did 2 extra large loads of laundry, using cheap detergent and vinegar as softener. Since it wasn't supposed to rain until later on in the day, I hung the undies/socks/polyester clothing/cleaning cloths and cloth napkins out to dry on the racks and ran the cotton clothing and bath towels in the dryer on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting. This is only Greg and my laundry, the kids do their own over the weekend although I never mention it. I also don't bother telling them to hung theirs outside so they do use the dryer. I like to pick my battles :) I should though, train them to at least dry their socks and undies outside for them to learn the benefits of saving money and energy, something they will need as they grow into adulthood.
Update: when I checked on the drying racks at about noon, it was starting to drizzle and it was very humid so nothing was dry yet despite being outside in the heat and sun for 2 hours. I moved the racks back inside the house.
- SavingStar credited my account for the $0.50 spent on the Freebie of the weekend Saturday. I love receiving those email notifications :)
- I went through IHeartPublix's preview of the upcoming Publix weekly ad and made a note of which sales I might be interested in in my Notepad document. As I work on my shopping list, I will refer to the Notepad document to see if I could get a better deal at Publix (after sales and coupons) than at Aldi on certain items, or, if I have money left in my budget, if I can stock up on some items. Right off the bat, I can see that their General Mills cereals on BOGO are probably more expensive than the ones on BOGO at Winn Dixie right now so I might drive into Clermont this afternoon to get more of the Horizon crackers and the cereal as well.
- Yay! Greg forwarded me an article saying that we can watch the the 1st episode of Game of Thrones, Season 5 for free on our Xbox One. I don't want to pay for HBO Go or HBO Now/Sling TV though, because that's the only show we'd want to watch and honestly, we can wait a year to watch it on Blu-Ray. That's what we did last year and we didn't die although it was a little annoying to try to avoid spoilers, but I remedied that by reading all the books so I would know what was happening anyway. This season is going to be different, though, as the filmmakers had to write their own storylines (with guidance from George R.R. Martin) as the books haven't been written beyond the point they're reaching in the season (the last 2 books, particularly, were huge snores).
- I made more chocolate cupcakes in order to use up more of last week's spoiled gallon of milk. Why is it that unspoiled milk disappears in a flash, here, but that gallon of spoiled milk seems endless?!
- I was able to print some coupons from coupons.com from my son's PC, but the problems we are having with the computer are preventing me from printing coupons from Target and other sources from that PC. Arrgh.
- As I was checking on my garden, I realized that most of my self-watering bins needed water (it didn't rain nearly enough) so I spent an hour refilling them. Meanwhile, I collected a whole bin of water at the leaky faucet so I used that water to refill most of my upcycled cat litter jugs for later.
- I think the squash and cucumbers that are growing in the bean patch might be doing better than the beans!
- I also found some squash/cucumber growing in my composting bin...
- And there is still the one growing with my milkweed plants.
- We have raspberries!
- I cut got 6 rose cuttings, dipped them into growth hormone and planted them in some potting soil. I'll keep them indoors for a few weeks. I hope they'll grow some roots? It's not really the season but you never know.
- I also cut a sprig of rosemary (new growth, this time), dipped it in rooting hormone and planted it in an upcycled glass jar.
- My lunch was some leftover salad from Saturday night (made with lettuce from my garden!) and a sandwich made with homemade bread and pickles as well as cheese and turkey that I got for free from Publix.
- I logged my daily exercise into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned enough points to qualify for a $5 discount on my next purchase!
- My daughter needed to get something from her dad's house and I needed to return materials to the library, so I decided to do my grocery shopping today instead of Wednesday. It saved me some gas.
- My cashier at Winn- Dixie was quite astonished by my total due. She didn't know that I will actually be getting $0.50 back from SavingStar too!
- There were more coupons on the back of the 2 Cheerios boxes!
- I mended the drawstring bag that my son uses as a gym bag.
- Dinner was "Amish Casserole", which the kids remarked was just like homemade Hamburger Helper, and of course they were right. They still loved it. My son is actually packing some for lunch tomorrow!
- I took the survey from the Racetrac receipt that I got when I gassed up today and earned another code for a free any size coffee. This code is actually good through May so I'll have to keep on baking cupcakes for my son!
- I submitted my grocery receipts for a $0.25 rebate from Checkout 51 and another $0.25 rebate from Snap by Groupon.
- My daughter and I watched rented "The Imitation Game" from Redbox and watched it after dinner. She will return it to Redbox for me on her way home from school tomorrow.
- I earned 100 KFR points by entering bonus code FREECODEJUST4YOU in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account (exp 4/19).
WE SPLURGED ON:
- I bought my daughter some artistic pencils that she had wanted but they were 40% off at Michael's.
- I also bought her almonds from Aldi, even though they weren't in my budget for the week.
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- I thought I was almost out of cocoa baking powder so I bought some more at Save A Lot on Saturday instead of seeing if they had restocked at Aldi this coming Wednesday. As I made the chocolate cupcakes this morning, I realized that I had exactly how much I needed for the recipe (I had eyeballed it instead of taking the time of measuring it) so I didn't need to spend the extra $0.80 on Saturday. Grrr. Once again laziness does NOT pay off.
- I really REALLY wanted to buy whole chicken from Winn-Dixie as they were only $0.89/lb but my freezers are so full, I couldn't fit even just one in them. Poop.
- I wanted to get the free Purina cat litter at Target (free after triple stack of $10/2 manufacturer coupon. $1/1 store coupon and 50% Cartwheel!), but by the time I got there, they were completely out of it (of course!). Poop.