HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Day 2 of the Window Installation Project. They're hoping to finish the upstairs today.
- I slept on the couch again last night... I think Greg is enjoying having the bed to himself! I usually sleep so much better downstairs because it's cooler.
- A sister update: apparently there were 3 women (one being my sister) being accused of the exact same things at her job and the other 2 were fired (which wasn't supposed to happen since the investigator is still investigating and management is bound by his decision, which he hasn't rendered yet!). She was told by the investigator that now that he know she has 20 affidavits from colleagues, he has to disclose them to management and their staff lawyer and that there probably will be reprisals against the people who testified for my sister. How messed up is this when the inspector who should be making sure everyone's labor rights are respected makes those statements? She also met with a labor lawyer who seems encouraging but of course they need the business too. I guess we're waiting on the investigator's report and the reply from management at this point. He has until June, I think, to file it. She's trying to hang in there but it's been very very hard. Thankfully, she's still on medical leave and under a doctor's care.
- Garden update: I dead-headed the rose bushes. The milkweed plants that looked completely dead after going to seed, being attacked by aphids and also monarch caterpillars came back to life! I went to cut them down but new leaves have sprung so I just cut off the dead-looking limbs and moved them from the large bin where they had been for over a month (so they wouldn't get knocked down anymore) to a small planter. I also mulched them. I was wondering, over a week ago, if my dill would grow back after I harvested 99% of it. The answer is a resounding yes!
- The oregano is finally looking hardy and growing. This makes me happy.
- The sage and marjoram are doing rather brilliantly. I suppose I should harvest some sage and dry it.
- My daughter drove herself to school and packed a lunch (saves us money on both counts).
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.
- Our son also packed his lunch to take to school.
- It poured last night so no need to water the garden today! I was able to refill some cat litter jugs with the water collected in the bin I left outside (I had to put the other ones away because they were located in front of the windows getting replaced). I need more jugs!
- I harvested some black raspberries this morning and Greg had a couple with his breakfast. They're so sweet, and don't taste like raspberries at all! They're not blackberries either.
- I sliced a huge cucumber from Aldi ($0.59) and made 2 jars of pickles out of it. I sliced several homegrown jalapeños and added them to the pickles. I upcycled 2 empty jars of Barilla pasta sauce. They'll be ready in 4 days.
- I mixed a new batch of taco seasoning.
- A couple of days ago I noticed that one of the over-the-air digital channels that we get now showed sitcoms that I used to watch in the 90s (Grace under Fire, Spin City, the Drew Carey Show...) and was rebranded Laff TV. Woohoo! This makes up for Antenna TV completely fudging my evening TV watching by changing their line-up :)
- I stored some rainwater in upcycled cat litter jugs. I need more empty jugs!
- I harvested some collard greens. The bugs have started munching on my large plant so I don't think it will last much longer. I'll stir-fry the greens with the rest of the cabbage leaves from the cabbage I harvested yesterday... probably tomorrow for lunch.
- I harvested the last large green onion that was flowering. I'm drying the flower to collect the seeds and I cut up the rest of the stem along with the 2 that I harvested yesterday and stored them in the fridge. I''ll try to incorporate them in a recipe this week.
- Bonus photo: this is what I harvested yesterday.
- I had leftovers for lunch.
- I answered some surveys on Swagbucks and finally reached the 2,200 SB level. I wanted to order a $25 Target gift card but you have to show it on your phone and I couldn't see a section for gift cards on my Swagbucks app so I changed my order to an Amazon gift card.
- For dinner I made Black Bean & Chicken Enchilada Lasagna. Instead of using rotisserie chicken, I pre-roasted 7 drumsticks that had been in my freezer for a couple of years (this time I didn't forget to freeze the bones to make stock at a later time!). I decided to half the recipe (good thing too because 7 drumsticks wouldn't have been enough meat for the whole thing). So I froze most of the 28-oz can of enchilada sauce that was leftover, only used 1 of the green chile cans, and made my own Mexican-blend cheese by mixing Monterey Jack with Cheddar Cheese. The corn tortillas were from Aldi. I might need to freeze those too. I can't stand corn tortillas, I'm a flour tortillas girl, The corn tortillas are cheaper but they taste horrible, to me.
WE SPLURGED ON:
- Nothing that I know of...
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- I keep on having problems printing coupons from several sites, most notably Smartsource.com and coupons.target.com. Digging in the help section for Smartsource, I found a notice dated 4/15/15 that states: "ATTENTION: Unfortunately if you’re using version 42 of Chrome or higher our coupon printer no longer works. We recommend printing with Firefox." I really don't want to download another space-hogging browser just to print coupons. I emailed Chrome and also Target to find out if they're aware of the problem, I'm sure neither will have any constructive feedback. So I'm trying to tell myself that I'm not going to stress over not being able to print the coupons and that I'll just keep on shopping at Aldi where they don't accept coupons anyway. It's just that Publix accepts Target store coupons (and Target too, obviously) and I might miss some really good deals. Deep breath. Update: AAARGH, I can't print the coupons from the Pillsbury e-newsletter either! Relaxation technique is NOT working.
- I wanted to plant more lettuce but I realized that despite having tons of seeds of all kinds, I don't have any lettuce seeds left! Well, I'm lying, I have some Little Gem seeds dated 2010 but last time I tried growing it, nothing germinated. So I might need to see if any stores have any seeds on clearance right now. I'm not sure if Dollar Tree still has their seed display up and I'm not supposed to go shopping until NEXT Wednesday now. At the same time, the lettuce (if it even grows since it's so hot already) would start being harvestable just a couple of weeks before the kids and I are leaving for a month so maybe planting lettuce right now is not the smartest thing.
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!