Monday, April 27, 2015

Today's Frugal Failures and Successes - Monday 4/27/15

Can you see the bee wallowing in the pollen?!
I took this picture this morning. Hopefully it will fertilize
other squash flowers so I grow more than one!


HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
  • I can't believe we're starting the last week of April, already.  My college kids are almost done with their school year and my middle and high-school kids will be done in a little over a month!

  • Traceybee from Just Keep Swimming Mama Fish is challenging herself to stop complaining today. Even though I had already started (complaining, that is!) before I read her post, she's totally right about the effect that negativity has on one's health so I'm going to try to be more positive for the rest of the day.  Update: I tried, I really tried. But the following happened at 2:30 p.m.: I saw the mail truck pass my window so I knew the mail had been delivered. I went to check it and found a notice of sorts... just a photocopy of a package with a handwritten note that delivery had been attempted on 4/22 and then again today and that I had until 5/7 to pick up my package or it would be returned to the sender. Upon checking the sender's address, it ended up being my new iPhone!  So it's been at the post office since at least 4/22 and I can assure you that NO ONE has knocked on my door or left a "first notice" telling me it was there. I was furious.  I called and talked to the Postmaster who confirmed the package was there and that he would "investigate" what happened.  The same people lost important certified court documents a couple of years ago and keep on cramming packages in my mailbox that might fit from their end but can't come out from my end so I always have to try to break down the package while in the tiny mailbox so I can get the contents out... so I am beyond pissed. Update #2: I did pick up the phone and I'll be spending the evening backing up the "old" one so I can go make the exchanges at AT&T tomorrow.

  • Greg didn't install the outdoor antenna yesterday since he got busy having to cut down that huge branch that fell off and then he decided to mow the lawn.  So that won't get done until this weekend at the earliest now. We have been getting most of the channels we used to get these past few days (fewer storms where the stations are, probably) but even though they're pretty clear during the day, they tend to freeze up at times at night and also the sound keeps on cutting in and out so I can't really follow any of the shows that I wanted to have on. It's annoying more than anything else but at the same time it forces me to use Netflix and since we're actually paying for it, using Netflix over OTA TV is the most frugal choice. Right? I wish I could cancel Netflix but it's a good service to have for days like these.

  • Bragging mommy moment: this is a picture of the dragon that my daughter sculpted for one of her art classes. She had just baked it (she used Sculpty on an armature that she built herself) and now she will be painting it.  


FRUGAL SUCCESSES:
  • My daughter drove herself to school, saving us gas (and therefore money) and time.  She took her Sodapalooza cup and also her brother's with her and she will be getting free refills for the both of them on her way home since she has a meeting after school, which should bring her home at about the time when her brother gets out of school (so his drink won't melt before he gets to drink it).

  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work. 

  • The weather is all over the place and although it's very cloudy this morning and very humid (over 90% humidity, bleh), I don't trust that it will rain so I will probably need to water the garden.

  • SavingStar credited me with a few cents for a purchase I made on AceHardware.com last month. Love getting those "here is some free money!" notices first thing in the morning, even if it's just for a few cents!

  • I earned my daily Bing credits and I'm 11% of my way towards a new Amazon $5 gift card. I should be more diligent about Swagbucks too but I've been doing the absolute minimum since the Team Challenge ended last week.

  • I reused water filtered in our Brita pitcher last night for dinner to water my indoor herb seedlings.

  • I used rainwater stored in upcycled cat litter jugs to water my beans/squash plants and a few potted plants too.  

  • I harvested another small bowl of green beans, a few black raspberries (that I gobbled up right away!), and most of my beautiful collard greens plant since the aphids have found it and it was infested.  I washed them away and I will be making a stir-fry for my lunch to go with the leftover chicken meatloaf from last night.  I put the green beans in the fridge since I'm planning on cooking some for dinner later on this week.

  • I put the collard greens in a bowl of water so they wouldn't wilt until it was time to cook them. Then I reused the water to water one of the squash plants some more.

  • I enjoyed a free large hazelnut coffee from Racetrac for my breakfast.

  • I collected coupons from the back of a empty box of Cheerios Medley Crunch. That cereal is delicious (but too sweet to be healthy, IMO).

  • I cut off dead limbs and leaves from tomato, collard green, cabbage, and squash plants and composted them. I also finally remembered to turn the compost. No grubs at this time of year but some roaches (gross but I'm hoping they're helping everything to compost?). I also emptied out my countertop composting bin in there.  I rinsed it off in a bin that still has rainwater in it and relined it with scraps of paper from when I was clipping off coupons. Making compost is like making money... the more I make, the less fertilizers I need to purchase :)

  • I hope it does rain today because most of my bins and jugs are empty!  Plus the garden would love it.

  • I did 2 extra large loads of laundry today but due to the rain chance and the overall humidity, I used the dryer for everything but my bras and the exercise clothing (polyester blend).  Greg leaves on a business trip tomorrow morning and I need everything to be dry and to iron his work clothes this afternoon. I did use the Auto Moisture Sensing setting on the dryer.

  • I reused water collected in the shower to flush the toilet.

  • I baked a loaf of regular bread and a loaf of rye bread with the rest of the bread doughs that had been in my fridge for a week. I finally have more room in the fridge (the containers take a lot of space!), just in time to go shopping on Wednesday.  Right after the bread was baked, I roasted 11 drumsticks that I had defrosted for tonight's chicken pot pie so the oven didn't have to warm up again.  The regular bread was very dense and hadn't finished baking quite yet so I stuffed it back in the oven with the drumsticks for another 5 minutes.

  • Lunch was the chicken meatloaf leftovers, the cooked collard greens (although I'm annoyed at myself that I forgot to use bacon grease instead of EVOO to cook them in), a slice of fresh baked bread and also a slice of freshed baked rye bread. Oh yeah. I love freshly baked bread!

  • I printed some new coupons via Swagbucks.

  • Thanks to IHeartPublix, I made a note of the deals I might be interested in at Publix starting on Thursday. 

  • I spent 3,400 KFR points to order (4) $1.00/1 Kellogg's cereal coupons since we're running low.


WE SPLURGED ON:

  • My kids bought lunch from school today.  At about $2-$3 per lunch, it's a small indulgence.

HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
  • I realized that I missed an opportunity to save an additional 5% on the Seventh Generation dish soap at Target yesterday. I had forgotten to search Carthweel for an offer and realized that at the checkout counter. In my rush to check, I searched under "dish soap" instead of "Seventh" and Cartwheel brought up a lot of Cartwheel offers for various brands of dish soaps but NOT for Seventh Generation.  Arrgh, I shouldn't have trusted the results. Oh well, it would have meant an extra $0.10 saved, though.

  • There is a failure though, although it's not our own: the hummingbird feeder that we purchased has a design flaw.  They advertise the top of the feeder as having an "ant moat" because the top is concave so you're supposed to fill it with water so the ants can't get to the nectar.


  • However, there is an opening and the ants are perfectly able to come down the little "S" hook and walk under the red plastic hoop that it fastens into and then inside the reservoir itself.  I found a few of them gorging themselves this morning!
And to add insult to injury, I still haven't spotted any
hummingbirds :(
 Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!

1 comment:

  1. That dragon sculpt is beautiful! Brag away! She's very talented!!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!