HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Today was my shopping day so I dropped off my daughter at school and picked her up afterwards. She borrowed my car in the afternoon to go to her volunteering activity.
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work. Our kids packed their lunches to take to school.
- Our son walked to the library and back and attended his free weekly teen program over there. He's still enjoying it very much.
- I brought my home-brewed coffee along on my shopping trip in the travel cup that Greg got for free from the conference he attended a couple of weeks ago. It does a great job at keeping my coffee hot while I shop!
- Save A Lot still had the grapes on special for $0.50 per pound. Woot! I bought 5 more pounds of it. They didn't have any milk on clearance though. Oh well.
- I stopped by Racetrac in Clermont where gas was $0.10 a gallon cheaper than at the Racetrac closer to my house. I got 1/4 tank just to see what the new survey reward is and it's... a free any size coffee. I guess I'll be drinking free flavored coffee this month :)
- I went to Kohl's to spend my $15 in bonus money (Kohl's cash and Yes2You Rewards) and spotted a skirt that I really liked for just $16.99 as soon as I walked into the store... unfortunately, they didn't have my size :( However, I did find another skirt that I really liked although it was more expensive. Since I rarely buy clothes for myself these days, I decided to splurge. We'll be attending my brother's wedding and a concert as well when we're in France and I can wear that skirt with one of my black T-shirt and black flats. I'm actually excited about it :)
- I used a coupon at Dollar Tree for the first time today! I bought 2 packages of Hormel pepperoni and used a printable $1.00/2 coupon without any problems. I looked at their frozen food section to see what brand names they have so I can start saving those coupons too from now on (Picsweet frozen veggies, State Fair corn dogs, Bar S bologna and franks).
- I got a better deal on ink for my inkjet printer than I expected, at Staples and was able to redeem my Staples Rewards as well. I was thinking that it would also enable me to receive ink rewards for another 6 months, but I had forgotten that I needed to spend $30 in ink in order to qualify. I didn't.
- My favorite errands took place downtown Clermont because I was able to park and walk to my eye doctor to get my glasses tightened for free (and I also made my yearly appointment for the summer), walk to our dentist to pick up the prescription that I needed for IRS records re: our FSA account, and walk to the thrift store to drop off the pet coupons that I was donating and buy some great deals :) Since all the other stores are located a few miles from one another, it was nice to just park in one spot and walk to all those places.
- I bought several meats and cheese from the deli counter at Publix and each time I was offered a sample. Only, instead of just giving me a little bit, they gave me a whole bunch of it each time :) So I had lunch, part 1 at Publix's deli counter :)
- When I got home, I made myself a sandwich with some of the turkey pastrami that I gotten for free at Publix, 2 slices of rye bread (bought on 50% off clearance at Save A Lot a few weeks ago) and homemade refrigerator zesty pickles. Delicious and very inexpensive.
- I took the survey on my Racetrac receipt and earned a reward code for a free coffee, any size.
- I made Chorizo-White Bean Stew for dinner and served it on white rice, accompanied by homemade corn bread. The stew was delicious and really cheap: I found a 10 oz "link" of beef chorizo for just $1.69 at Save A Lot and since it didn't have a casing, that made it very easy to cook. The can of cannellini beans was $0.65 at Aldi. I used a can of stewed tomatoes that I already had and pureed it in the food processor. I cut up 2 jalapeños that I harvested from my garden last week. The onion came from a 3-lb bag bought for $0.89 at Aldi (diced and frozen) and I buy my minced garlic at Dollar Tree (1 jar = $1). The recipe made 6 servings so I still have enough for Greg and my lunches tomorrow!
- I earned 100 KFR points by entering bonus code GREATTOBEAMEMBER in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.
- I saw a rack at the thrift store that I was sure would fit my oven, even though I didn't have the dimensions that I needed... so I bought it for $1.00. Unfortunately, it is too wide for my oven so I can't use it at all... and the thrift store doesn't do returns. Grrr. I wasted a dollar! I should have just gone home and measured the oven first. I am doing this as soon as I'm done with this paragraph and putting the dimensions on my thrift store wishlist in my phone. Thankfully, I do keep a small tape measurer in my purse.
- I'm starting to think that I might need to spring for a newer phone at some point in the not too distant future because not only can I not use the newer apps that were developed for newer operating systems (like the new CVS app... no $3 ECB credit for me!) or I have had to delete apps that no longer support my version of iOS (7-11, Ibotta...). The thing is... my phone works great! But the day I can no longer use my bank's app or Target Cartwheel might be the day I decide to upgrade my device!