Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Today's Frugal Failures and Successes: Wednesday 4/8/15



HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
  • Today was my shopping day so I dropped off my daughter at school and picked her up afterwards. She borrowed my car in the afternoon to go to her volunteering activity.

FRUGAL SUCCESSES:
  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work. Our kids packed their lunches to take to school.

  • Our son walked to the library and back and attended his free weekly teen program over there. He's still enjoying it very much.

  • I brought my home-brewed coffee along on my shopping trip in the travel cup that Greg got for free from the conference he attended a couple of weeks ago. It does a great job at keeping my coffee hot while I shop!

  • Save A Lot still had the grapes on special for $0.50 per pound. Woot!  I bought 5 more pounds of it.  They didn't have any milk on clearance though. Oh well.

  • I stopped by Racetrac in Clermont where gas was $0.10 a gallon cheaper than at the Racetrac closer to my house. I got 1/4 tank just to see what the new survey reward is and it's... a free any size coffee.  I guess I'll be drinking free flavored coffee this month :)

  • I went to Kohl's to spend my $15 in bonus money (Kohl's cash and Yes2You Rewards) and spotted a skirt that I really liked for just $16.99 as soon as I walked into the store... unfortunately, they didn't have my size :( However, I did find another skirt that I really liked although it was more expensive. Since I rarely buy clothes for myself these days, I decided to splurge.  We'll be attending my brother's wedding and a concert as well when we're in France and I can wear that skirt with one of my black T-shirt and black flats.  I'm actually excited about it :)


  • I used a coupon at Dollar Tree for the first time today!  I bought 2 packages of Hormel pepperoni and used a printable $1.00/2 coupon without any problems. I looked at their frozen food section to see what brand names they have so I can start saving those coupons too from now on (Picsweet frozen veggies, State Fair corn dogs, Bar S bologna and franks).

  • I got a better deal on ink for my inkjet printer than I expected, at Staples and was able to redeem my Staples Rewards as well.  I was thinking that it would also enable me to receive ink rewards for another 6 months, but I had forgotten that I needed to spend $30 in ink in order to qualify. I didn't.

  • My favorite errands took place downtown Clermont because I was able to park and walk to my eye doctor to get my glasses tightened for free (and I also made my yearly appointment for the summer), walk to our dentist to pick up the prescription that I needed for IRS records re: our FSA account, and walk to the thrift store to drop off the pet coupons that I was donating and buy some great deals :)  Since all the other stores are located a few miles from one another, it was nice to just park in one spot and walk to all those places.

  • I bought several meats and cheese from the deli counter at Publix and each time I was offered a sample. Only, instead of just giving me a little bit, they gave me a whole bunch of it each time :)  So I had lunch, part 1 at Publix's deli counter :)

  • When I got home, I made myself a sandwich with some of the turkey pastrami that I gotten for free at Publix, 2 slices of rye bread (bought on 50% off clearance at Save A Lot a few weeks ago) and homemade refrigerator zesty pickles. Delicious and very inexpensive.

  • I took the survey on my Racetrac receipt and earned a reward code for a free coffee, any size.


  • I made Chorizo-White Bean Stew for dinner and served it on white rice, accompanied by homemade corn bread.  The stew was delicious and really cheap: I found a 10 oz "link" of beef chorizo for just $1.69 at Save A Lot and since it didn't have a casing, that made it very easy to cook.  The can of cannellini beans was $0.65 at Aldi. I used a can of stewed tomatoes that I already had and pureed it in the food processor. I cut up 2 jalapeƱos that I harvested from my garden last week.  The onion came from a 3-lb bag bought for $0.89 at Aldi (diced and frozen) and I buy my minced garlic at Dollar Tree (1 jar = $1). The recipe made 6 servings so I still have enough for Greg and my lunches tomorrow!

  • I earned 100 KFR points by entering bonus code GREATTOBEAMEMBER in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
  • I saw a rack at the thrift store that I was sure would fit my oven, even though I didn't have the dimensions that I needed... so I bought it for $1.00. Unfortunately, it is too wide for my oven so I can't use it at all... and the thrift store doesn't do returns.  Grrr. I wasted a dollar!  I should have just gone home and measured the oven first. I am doing this as soon as I'm done with this paragraph and putting the dimensions on my thrift store wishlist in my phone. Thankfully, I do keep  a small tape measurer in my purse.


  • I'm starting to think that I might need to spring for a newer phone at some point in the not too distant future because not only can I not use the newer apps that were developed for newer operating systems (like the new CVS app... no $3 ECB credit for me!) or I have had to delete apps that no longer support my version of iOS (7-11, Ibotta...).  The thing is... my phone works great!  But the day I can no longer use my bank's app or Target Cartwheel might be the day I decide to upgrade my device!


Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!


2 comments:

  1. Oven racks are great for cooking over campfires! Do you camp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it! I used to camp with the kids, every month, when they were younger (there was a group of us doing us, we had so much fun!) but we no longer do. My husband does try to go camping with our son once a year so I'll ask if that's something he wants to keep for that purpose! If not, i'll just re-donate it to the same thrift store.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!