Friday, May 1, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 5/1/15

Inspired by The Frugal Girl blog who started it all...

Here is what I had to throw away I threw away this week...
Why the struck through text? Because the devil is in the planning... 99% if the time,  if I had planned better, I wouldn't have had to throw away food. 

This was a very bad, horrible, no good week for us...


  • I bought 4 lbs of strawberries from Target (on sale, with Cartwheel and coupons, of course), and found one very soft and moldy strawberry that I composted. I rinsed the rest in diluted vinegar so they last much longer.


  • I made a huge batch of chocolate coconut air popped corn earlier in the week but my son and I were the only ones who ate some and then it just sat there for a couple of days so I threw it away. I should have composted it, maybe? There was butter and coconut oil in it so I opted to throw it away.

  • Once again I forgot to secure the new gallons of milk in my trunk when I went shopping on Tuesday and one of them went crashing to the ground of the Walgreens parking lot when I opened my trunk.  Arrgh!  The good news is that I was able to save most of it (see next section). I lost about 1/8th to 1/4 gallon of milk between the parking lot and the milk that spilled in the bag where I ended up putting the bottle for the trip between Walgreens and my house.


  • I composted some bug-eaten leaves of collard greens that I had harvested to cook, as well as the outer leaves of the small cabbage that I had harvested. I meant to cook all of those into a stir-fry for my lunch but kept on forgetting and finally they were just slimy and/or completely wilted and gross-looking so I composted them.

  • The unripe cantaloupe that I had bought from Aldi last week had already started to spoil. I need to remember that as it gets hotter and more humid, produce goes bad faster!  I cut off and composted half the cantaloupe and cut the rest into cubes for lunch and dinner.

  • I rushed to make dinner on Wednesday night and in my haste dumped most of a pack of Seeds of Change rice mix on the floor :(  I had gotten it for free, but it still stinks that I had to throw 3/4 of the package away.

  • I waited too long to make the pickles I had promised myself I would make this week with a half cucumber that was starting to get soft and it got all slimy so I had to compost it. This was bad planning on my part.





On the bright side, here is what I saved this week!



  • I saved chicken bones on a couple of occasions to make broth at a later time.

  • Believe it or not but I'm still using that spoiled milk from a couple of weeks ago!  It really doesn't smell or taste all that bad. I used some of it in mashed potatoes a couple of times this week. This really is the gallon that will keep on giving... unfortunately, I really wish it was gone by now :)

  • Speaking of milk, when that bottle crashed in the Walgreens parking lot, my trunk was full of groceries and other purchases and I had grabbed the jug right after it fell so thankfully it was still mostly full but there was a big gash on the side. I wasn't sure what to do so I grabbed a "freezer" Publix bag (lined with plasticky foil to keep foods cool) and put the gallon in there on its side.  Then I lodged the bag in a cardboard box that I had picked up from Save A Lot that morning (to put the milk into when I got it at CVS but I totally forgot to do it!) and nestled it tight between a 12-pack of ginger ale and the jars of gravy that I had bought at other stores. Then I drove the 2 miles to my house very slowly and as straight as I could so the milk wouldn't spill even further. When I got home, I refilled the almost empty jug in my fridge with the milk from the broken jug. I lost about 1/2 to 1 cup of milk in the bag and I threw that milk away since the bag had served to transport meat recently. So all in all, I was able to save about 3/4 of the gallon after all. Phew!  I do need to be more mindful of the milk when I buy it, though. I should probably just lodge it in the footwell in the back row.

  • Greg has asked me to pick him up a couple of avocadoes last week because he wanted to try to make a new snack. Well, he never did and then he left on a business trip and the avocadoes were very ripe.  I decided to make guacamole with them since we were having fish tacos that evening.  I used Alton Brown's recipe.  Instead of onion, I used sliced green onions from my garden (they'd been in the fridge for a few days) and I defrosted a cube of cilantro from my garden that I had frozen in water (I drained the water off).  It didn't look like much since the flesh of the avocadoes was brownish and very soft, but was good and nothing was wasted.

  • I found 3 small chocolate cupcakes that I had baked with some of the spoiled milk a couple of weeks ago but that no one had eaten. Thankfully they had only hardened and hadn't spoiled, so I put them in the microwave for 30 seconds and ate them while drinking some coffee.

  • I finally made a buttermilk pie with some of that spoiled milk I speak about a little bit above.  I've been trying to get rid of that milk for several weeks now and I think there's a spell on the jug because it never seems to get to empty!  grr. Anyhoo, I used a recipe from a depression-era book that I read last week but I was tired and messed it up. It still turned out OK, albeit without its meringue top (I added Amaretto to the custard to mask the bitter taste of the milk), so I ended up slicing strawberries on top of it which was just the perfect sweet touch to add.  

    2 comments:

    1. I JUST discovered you from Simply Being Mum, and I LOVE what you are doing. I've just recently gotten into working in #NoFoodWaste and although I don't publicly post as much as I should on my own waste, I've seen the drastic change. I'm going to start following your journey - I've discovered the best resources are those who are going through some of the same or similar challenges I am. LOVE what you are doing! Keep going!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for reading and for your kind comments! I completely agree with you that the best inspiration is to see other people posting about their food waste. I know that since I have started blogging about mine (even when I had no readers whatsoever), just the thought of posting about it stopped me from throwing things that I mindlessly threw away before and forced me to consider ways to use them. Accountability is a wonderful thing! Good luck with your own efforts!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!