Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I've been trying to stick to a $50/wk budget since February.

This week, I shopped at Aldi, CVS, Dollar Tree and Walgreens.  I did stock up on chicken breasts and succumbed to an attack of the munchies (because of poor planning) so I went a little over budget.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $50.00
Total OOP: $45.29
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $45.29
Money left in budget: UNDER BUDGET BY $4.71


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed.

Beverages: $1.07 OOP


  1. I neglected to bring a drink along on my shopping trip. It was very hot and none of the stores that I visited had a water fountain so I treated myself to this bottle of Snapple at Dollar Tree. When I was at the register, I realized that I could have bought a larger bottle of Diet Coke for the same price and fewer calories, but the cashier had already scanned my Snapple so I went with the Snapple.
  • 1 bottle Snapple tea (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 + tax = $1.07

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.85 OOP

  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed.

Dairy: $2.49 OOP


  • 8 oz mozzarella (Aldi) @ $2.49

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $7.16 OOP 

  1. I had hoped that the chicken breasts weren't boneless so I could make chicken stock, but they were so I decided to get a carton of broth just in case.
  2. I still had a jar of light mayo in my pantry but the shelf sticker at Aldi indicated that this was a seasonal item so I bought an extra one as back-up.  We really like this mayo.
  3. The olive oil was cheaper (after coupon) @ CVS than at Aldi, plus my CVS gift card made them free anyway :)
  4. I bought the pot stickers for my lunch. I was so hungry when I got home at 2 p.m. that I microwaved them instead of pan-frying them. Fatal mistake as they weren't great cooked that way :( I should have just left them at the store and made myself an egg salad sandwich.
  • (2) 16.9 oz Filippo Berio EVOO (CVS), on sale for $3.99 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.99 each = $5.98 but FREE since I paid with my CVS gift card (earned via American Express Rewards)
  • 1-quart carton low sodium organic chicken broth (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 1 bottle red wine vinegar (Aldi) @ $1.49
  • 1 jar Fit & Active light mayonnaise (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 1 box frozen potstickers (Aldi), on sale @ $1.99
Produce/Juice: $6.05

  1. I couldn't resist the asparagus even though I have tons of veggies in my fridge already. Arrgh.
  • 2.009 lbs of bananas (Aldi) @ $0.39/lb = $0.78
  • 20 oz Roma tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.49
  • 1 lb asparagus (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 5 lbs red potatoes (Aldi) @ $1.99


Proteins: $21.80 OOP and earned 40 BR points

  1. I got 2 more dozen eggs this week since they were on sale again at Walgreens and I could earn BR points too.  Greg eats a lot of eggs and I've started eating egg salad sandwiches at lunch too.
  2. The tuna cans are to restock my pantry.
  3. The chicken breasts were a good price.  I have loved making jalapeño soup with a chicken breast in it so I'll definitely use them since I just harvested more jalapeños.
  • 2 cans light tuna in water (Aldi) @ $0.65 each = $1.30
  • 2 dozen large eggs (Walgreens), on sale @ $1.99 each = $3.98 and earned 40 Balance Rewards points
  • 8.74 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Aldi), on sale @ $1.89/lb = $16.52

Snacks: $5.87 OOP

  1. This is proof that you should never ever shop when you're hungry and that you should always bring a snack along when you go shopping!  I was proud of having steered clear of the mini croissants but the wafer rolls were more expensive... and what I ate in the car while finishing my grocery shopping because I was so darn hungry (and the bananas weren't ripe).  I didn't need the chips either and only bought them because they were in the clearance cart and I was hungry.  The hazelnut spread is for my son. I wasn't even sure that we had ran out. It just sounded good.
  • 1 can chocolate hazelnut wafer rolls (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 bag pumpkin seed tortilla chips (Aldi), on clearance @ $0.89
  • 1 jar hazelnut spread (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 bag Abound Light Popcorn (CVS), @ $1.00, minus $1.00/1 store coupon from mailer = FREE




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!