Thursday, July 30, 2015

Recipe: Jalapeño Soup



Note: this is a recipe from "The Soup Bible". I love that book!

This recipe is very very easy to make and I really like the taste of it. It's an easy way to use up some jalapeños if you grow them, as I do.  I usually half the recipe, as it makes 2 good-size servings (so 2 meals for just me!)


Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 quarts of chicken stock (I use chicken soup base that I got on clearance to make a broth or you could just use chicken broth too)
  • 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts halves, skinned and cut into large strips (oops, I just realized that I have been added uncooked chicken breast strips and letting them cook into the broth... I think that's probably OK but you probably should cook the chicken first. It's a great way to use up roast chicken leftovers!)
  • 1 drained canned jalapeño or chipotle chili, rinsed (I use fresh jalapeño and/or serrano chili that I grow in my garden)
  • 1 avocado
Instructions:
  1. Heat up the stock in a large saucepan.  Add the chicken and peppers and summer over very low heat for 5 minutes (I actually let it boil for 5 minutes since I use raw chicken) to heat the chicken through and release the flavor from the chili.
  2. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and peel. Slice the avocado flesh lengthwise into neat strips. (confession: I just spoon out the avocado flesh. It doesn't look as nice but takes less time and tastes just the same).
  3. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chili from the stock and discard.  Add the avocado slices and serve while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!