Thursday, August 20, 2015

Easy recipe! Making unsweetened applesauce in the crockpot




I don't know if you're like me, but I like to substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in many baking recipes (banana or zucchini bread, muffins, etc.) I find it healthier and it makes for very moist baked goods.



I usually buy my unsweetened applesauce at the store when it's on sale, but today I found myself with 4 old Red Delicious apples that were bruised and were starting to get wrinkly. I didn't want to make pie or dehydrate them, so I decided to try to make applesauce in my crockpot since I needed to attend a school event for my son so I wouldn't be here to babysit it.  A major bonus too is that the crockpot doesn't heat up my kitchen :)

I had never made applesauce before but I figured it couldn't be all that hard.  Using instructions from several recipes, I decided to proceed as follows:


  1. Peel the apples and core them.
  2. Slice them into thin slices.
  3. Put them in the crockpot with about HALF 1/3 of a cup of water
  4. Add about 1 tbsp of lemon juice (I eyeballed it)
  5. Cook in the crockpot on high for 2 to 2.5 hours.
  6. Once cooked, put in a food processor (with the blade on) and process until smooth.

These quantities produced 5 oz of unsweetened applesauce which tasted great. I stored it in the fridge for my upcoming baking needs.  The Red Delicious apples produced "already sweetened" applesauce anyway.  All the recipes that I had looked up said to use tart apples but then added sugar. I wonder why people don't just use normal apples and omit the sugar?

Like my unfussy jar labels? lol. Masking tape is one of my
most used kitchen "tools".
If you have more than 4 apples, you'll need to adjust the quantities accordingly.  The main original recipe that I looked up mentioned using 1 cup of water for 4 lbs of apples and cooking them for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low (they also added cinammon and sugar, which I withheld).

I love having a new and easy way to avoid food waste in my house!

2 comments:

  1. I usually take the lazy way out and peel the apple and slice into the blender and throw it right in my applesauce bread recipe. It is super yummy and tastier with fresh apples instead of store bought. Great use of things going bad!!! I usually label with the dry erase marker on the top so that it comes off in the dishwasher because I don't even have tape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, shoot, I thought I was the laziest one of them all, lol. You have mentioned your applesauce bread several times and I ought to try it. I hadn't thought of using a dry erase marker on the jar caps. I'll have to remember that but the masking tape works great for me and I have a lot of it (old hurricane kit that I ought to replenish, come to think of it!). I keep a roll and a Sharpie in one of my utensil drawers.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!