Friday, August 7, 2015

Food Waste Friday


Yesterday, the blog We Hate to Waste posted a very interesting article having to do with Food Waste entitled Farmer's Daughter on a Mission to Reduce UK's Food Waste.  What I learned is that "Food degrades in a landfill into methane, which is 23 times as potent a greenhouse gas as carbon dioxide."

Truthfully, I had no idea about that.  Yet another reason for working hard to reduce our own food waste!

In the meantime, Russia is committing "fromagicide". Shame on them!


  • A very brown banana that had turned to liquid (I'm sparing you the picture!) only because I kept walking by it and thinking "next time I walk by, I'm going to freeze this banana, but I can't right now because I'm doing something else." Riiiiight.

  • Half a huge cucumber that had gotten slimy in my vegetable drawer.  Argh. I usually make pickles with cukes when I can't finish them but I didn't catch this one in time so I had to compost it :(


  • I had forgotten, well neglected really, to rinse my strawberries into diluted vinegar when I bought them a week and a half ago so that resulted in several strawberries getting moldy.  I composted them but I could have avoided that by not being lazy and rinsing them. No pictures to show you, though.









    • I didn't throw away any leftovers as we used up every single one of them.  I went from being a leftover hater to being really disappointed when there aren't any leftovers for lunch because leftovers are a lazy, err frugal girl's best friends!

    • I saved vegetable peelings and ends to make stock or soup in the future by freezing them. (the bits that were moldy or rotten went into the compost bin though).

    • The hard-boiled egg that Greg didn't eat at work one day and brought back slightly squooshed.  I mentioned it after I had already repacked it in his lunch for the next day, unbeknownst to him, and he volunteered the thought that I should repack it as he didn't care if it was smooshed. I love it when he gets frugal-minded!

    • I don't need any breadcrumbs or bread pudding (well, I need bread pudding but my hips don't!) so I made sure to use all the heels of the bread loaves by toasting them for Greg's breakfast. 

    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!