HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Once again I woke up to gray skies.
If lower temps accompanied that, I might be fine with it, but the AC is still running so I guess it's hot and humid outside.Well, I just checked Weather.com and our high is supposed to be 84 so I guess that's not too bad.
- Our son has discovered Dungeons & Dragons. We have the basic board game since I had bought it for his older brothers when they were his age. They never really got into it but I had kept it, thinking that he might become interested at some point. I was right! Greg used to be a Dungeon Master when he was a teen and I want to learn to play so we can do this as a family activity so we may try to do that today. Wish me luck, I'm not too good with board games! Update: We played for a couple of hours this afternoon and decided to pause the game at dinnertime and continue tomorrow :) It was fun!
- If you shared your Amazon Prime membership with up to 4 family members, be aware that the terms have now changed and you can only share it with 1 other ADULT member living with you (i.e. they will check credit card billing addresses to make sure they match), according to a Slickdeals poster. We have a Prime membership that we got for free for getting an American Express card this year, and once it expires, I will not be renewing it. I did the experiment last year when our paid membership expired and survived just fine without Prime for several months, including at Christmas.
- A lot of coupons reset yesterday so I printed a whole bunch of them late at night, via Swagbucks, of course!
- I also forgot to mention that yesterday, I got frustrated with that bottle of Purex that has the "new auto dosing technology" because not only did it not seem to work for me while I was using it, but I just couldn't get the last of the soap from the bottle with that new fandangle top. Despite looking like it just was screwed on, it just wouldn't come off and I had about 1/4 cup of detergent left in there! So I took a sharp knife and cut through the bottle. No waste here!
- I took a couple of surveys on Swagbucks this morning, one being for 200 SB so I reached both my daily goals and the 2,200 SB that I needed to order my next $25 Amazon GC early in the day. Woohoo! I'll wait until Monday to see if I earned a Swag-Up Award over the past couple of weeks.
- I also earned my daily Bing Credits. I;ve noticed, though, that the PC search category didn't credit me with points properly... I had to do several searches above the required amount in order to be credited for 15 searches. Also, I saw a major spoiler for Game Of Thrones, which makes me angry because Greg and I are purposefully waiting until the latest season comes out on Blu Ray next year to watch it! Why do people put spoilers in their headlines?!
- I uploaded several new SavingStar offers to my account. I don't expect to use them at all (I rarely, if ever, buy those products, but just in case...)
- I earned 100 KFR points by entering bonus code FREE-PTSF-REES-TUFF in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account (code expires 8/6) and another 180 points by entering the code from the box of Froot Loops that we got for free from my SIL. Woohoo!
- I did 2 extra large loads of laundry on cold/cold. However it's so humid that I dried everything in the dryer. Greg had done his and our son's laundry at his parents right before coming back (frugal man!), but I needed to wash towels, sleeping bags, etc.
- I put away all the groceries, toiletries, and cleaning products that Greg brought back from camping and it felt like I had a large grocery shopping trip :) He brought back a lot of items that I had bought for them so they're definitely things we will use. He also brought back a couple of items that he got for free from his sister. Freebies!
- I made a batch of Jalapeño Soup for Greg and myself for lunch. He had a ham sandwich too and I had a couple of egg salad sandwiches, a banana, and a ginger ale.
- I thought I had a frugal failure on my hands but that ended up not being the case. Woohoo! Greg and I are really enjoying that Philips electric kettle that I got at the thrift store for just $5. I've been using it every day, multiple times a day. However, I just checked the energy consumption and to my great surprise, it consumes 1500 kw of electricity, more than our small microwave oven (1000 kw) or my Mr. Coffee coffeemaker (only 630 kw!). So I was disappointed that we seemed to be using more electricity by using the kettle. However (again), I went on the energy.gov site to find out how to calculate energy consumption and right there was an article where they pitted a 1500 w electric kettle vs. an 1000 w microwave oven to heat up a cup of water and the kettle actually costs less to operate! For all the details, go here.
- I made a couple of Insta-Cakes in the microwave for snack, because I was craving chocolate cake. Not a pretty picture, but delicious and it only takes 2 minutes to cook!
- I put a couple of Dungeons & Dragons-related books on hold at the library and also looked for a local league for my son to join. We'll go check out a local comic book store tomorrow afternoon.
WE SPLURGED ON:
- Dinner: I was going to cook tacos with the extra lean ground beef that I had in the fridge but I realized too late that I didn't have any shredded cheese. I browned the meat to use it tomorrow and we decided to order take-out from the local Mexican restaurant. Oh darn.
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- No failures today!
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!