HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- My daughter survived her first day at her new job yesterday. She was told she can have anything she wants from the restaurant (food, drink) but she didn't ask about taking any home, lol. However, it's torture for her since she just went back on a health kick and is trying to lose some weight.
- Yesterday was a really bad day on Wall Street, apparently, and I'm going to do what I always do and hide my head in the sand when it comes to our investments and avoid opening the emails containing our retirement account statements. Most people would probably panic and try to switch money around but since I don't know squat about investing and markets tend to recover cyclically, I think we just won't do anything. It's only retirement money, right? Sob. (disclaimer: you probably shouldn't be like me).
- I had picked the "No Rush Shipping" when I ordered the HDMI cable on Amazon to get the $1.00 digital credit. I got the credit AND it looks like the cable will be delivered on Sunday after all (2-day shipping). Apparently my area now gets Sunday delivery? Hmm, methinks it's going to go to the Post Office (instead of being delivered directly by UPS or Fedex) and they don't deliver on Sunday so it'll be crammed in my mailbox on Monday. Wanna bet?
- I should have been productive today since I have those bins from my son's room to go through and organize for the thrift store and also a thriller that I need to read since it's due next Thursday. And the dishes to do. And weeds to pull. However, Greg and I were really into that Fargo TV show that I had just borrowed from the library. Greg promised me a marathon today so we spent the whole afternoon watching the last 6 episodes, lol. I did do the dishes first, though :)
- I earned a $5 Amazon gift card on Bing Rewards today, woohoo! So far I have earned $30 in gift cards from Bing Rewards (starting in late April of this year) and $360 from Swagbucks (starting late September 2014).
- I used rainwater to water my indoor seedlings and zombie plants. It rained in the afternoon so I didn't need to water the garden again!
- For breakfast I mixed some more of those gross Publix rice flakes with some rice squares from Aldi and topped them with lots of fresh strawberries. That was pretty good when mixed altogether.
- I added 1/2 a gallon of water to 1/2 a gallon of whole milk to stretch it.
- My lunch was a fantastic mix of leftovers: rice with the chicken meat that I had picked from the bones cooked to make broth, topped with the rest of the balsamic brown sugar glaze made for the pork roast earlier this week (or was it last week?). I added a couple of leaves of Romaine lettuce and some cucumber slices to the remnants of a salad we had 3 days ago and topped it with homemade vinaigrette, and for dessert I had a yogurt topped with the last crumbs from the PB&J oatmeal granola bars that I had made last week. I think the only leftovers I have in the fridge now is a small pork chop from last night. Woohoo! Greg had a PBJ because it seems that it's the only thing he cares to eat when he has to fix it himself, these days, lol.
- I really needed to write to my family back in France to give them news, but it always takes a couple of hours out of my day to type this all up in French so I kept on procrastinating... last night I had an epiphany: could I use Siri to just dictate an email on my phone? So I enabled Siri and picked the French keyboard and, sure enough, I was able to dictate my whole email in French in just a few minutes! I have to do some editing before sending it, though, but that still will have cut the time spent on that task by probably 75%. This is the first time that I actually have found a use for Siri, although I disabled it right after dictating the email. Do you use Siri or a similar "intelligent" personal assistant to accomplish some tasks? Which ones? Am I missing out by not using it regularly?
- I snacked all afternoon while watching Fargo so when it was dinnertime, I wasn't hungry. Greg offered to go get take-out from somewhere but I nixed that. He and our son decided to have canned ravioli (which he took care of warming up) and I just skipped dinner.
- Gas for my daughter to drive to her job :)
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- No failures today!
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!