In the mood for some cake? Some delicious, easy to make, not so bad for you cake? Oh yeah.
I use this cake recipe interchangeably with the Strawberry Summer Cake recipe that I have already posted here. They're both excellent but I think that this version is healthier because I don't use any butter in it at all.
Once again, I found the original recipe on a blog, somewhere, several years ago. It was one of those blogs (well, like mine, actually!) that doesn't just let you print the recipe on one page so I had cut and pasted it in a Word document and never made a note of the URL where I found it. Sorry.
The original recipe was for 2 cakes and used oil and OJ. I halved the recipe and replaced the oil with applesauce and the OJ with apple juice so this is my version down below.
Note: you can replace with apricots with whatever fruit strikes you, but remember that the baking time is only 40 minutes so I'm not sure if it would work very well with apples, for example.
- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup of unsweetened applesauce (if you use sweetened, reduce the amount of sugar!)
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking flour
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 9 apricots, halved
- Mix everything BUT THE FRUIT very well in a large bowl.
- Pour into a greased round cake pan (I use a springform pan).
- Arrange the fruit on top of the batter and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.