I don't know about you but when it's rainy all day, I want to eat cake. And I want it chocolatey, and I want it now. So this afternoon I made Chocolate Insta-Cakes for my son and myself. They really hit the spot and brightened an otherwise drab day.
The best way to get instant chocolate cake (or close to instant) when you don't have any already pre-made, is to make Insta-Cakes in the microwave. Here is a simple recipe that I cut out of AllYou magazine several years ago. One my my readers, Susan, suggested measuring out the dry ingredients in advance and storing the individual portions in the pantry. You could reuse small glass jars for that purpose!
I'm retyping the instructions as they appeared in the magazine but note that I have made the batter in just one bowl by just adding everything all at once and mixing it well with a whip and I didn't see any difference... just 1 fewer bowl to wash!
Also, if you want to change the flavor, swap out the semi-sweet chips for flavored chips.
Ingredients for 2 mug cakes:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted (= 4 tbsp)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips + some extras
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add the milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir well to incorporate.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Divide the batter betweeh two microwave-safe mugs and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave both cups together on high for 2 minutes. The cakes should be very moist and gooey in the middle. Allow the cakes to cool for 15 minutes before serving (if you can wait!).
What is your favorite Insta-Cake recipe?