Sunday, August 9, 2015

This Week's Dinner Plans: 8/10 - 8/16, 2015


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted one of those.  It's a lot of work to put a menu together that's not always "same old, same old" but I have things in my fridge that I really need to use up so I figured it was time to get back to planning better.  Here we go :)



MONDAY: Pan-fried Chicken Scallopini, Mashed Potatoes, Honey Roasted Baby Carrots in Crockpot
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: EVOO, potatoes, honey, salt & pepper
  • From the fridge: Chicken breasts, baby carrots, butter, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: cook the carrots in the crockpot in the afternoon
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Shrimp Scampi with Roasted Pepper and Cabbage*
* The recipe actually calls for spinach but I don't have any and I have 2 heads of organic cabbage to use up so I'm substituting.
  • From the freezer: shrimp
  • From the pantry: linguine, EVOO, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, pepper, chicken broth
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, parmesan cheese, red pepper, butter, cabbage
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Ground Chicken Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries, Salad
  • From the freezer: ground chicken, Alexia sweet potato fries
  • From the pantry: croutons, Chicago Steak seasoning
  • From the fridge: grape tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, mayo, ketchup
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  Maille Vinaigrette
  • Need to buy: Romaine lettuce, hamburger buns

THURSDAY: Smoked Sausage* and Cabbage, Steamed Potatoes
* The recipe calls for kielbasa but I'm substituting smoked turkey sausage because I'm pretty sure I have some at the bottom of my freezer :) Also I don't have bacon so I'm omitting it but I have bacon fat in the fridge so I'll use that.
  • From the freezer: smoked turkey sausage
  • From the pantry: potatoes, white sugar, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, caraway seeds
  • From the fridge: head of organic cabbage, bacon fat, chopped onion, minced garlic
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Ratatouille Bake*
* The recipe calls for frozen ravioli but I will use porcini-stuffed tortellini since I have those on hand
  • From the freezer: diced eggplant, shredded zucchini, green pepper
  • From the pantry: EVOO, onion, diced tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt & pepper, porcini-stuffed tortellini
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, mozzarella cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY: Smokey Chicken and Mushroom Quesadillas with Caribbean Rice *
* The recipe calls for Spanish rice but I'm substituting with Caribbean Rice since I have that mix in my pantry. Also, I will use fresh chicken breasts instead of canned chicken. And I will cook the quesadillas in one of my waffle irons since I don't have a tabletop grill.
  • From the freezer: 1 large chicken breast, flour tortillas
  • From the pantry: mesquite seasoning, Carribean rice mix
  • From the fridge: white mushrooms, minced garlic, 
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  cook dinner breast and slice
  • Need to buy: Smoked gouda, cheddar cheese

SUNDAY:  Hamburgers and fries, salad
  • From the freezer: ground beef, half a bag of Alexia Smart Fries
  • From the pantry:  Hamburger buns, croutons
  • From the fridge: ketchup, mayo, lettuce, homemade pickles, grape tomatoes, cucumber, homemade dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

What's on your menu this week?

2 comments:

  1. Menu Planning does take a lot of time - but has been so worth it to me lately! Less waste - even if we end up with the same old same old. LOL I don't remember if I ever told you, but, I LOVE your menu planning format -(from the fridge/freezer, need to buy, etc). It helps get my creative juices going for my own plan when I see yours broken down like this. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for letting me know, lol! As I type it I'm thinking "no one cares but me" but it does force me to think about substitutions that I can make with other ingredients that I already have... and hence saves me money! I honestly like just making a month's worth of menus at once but doing it a week at a time forcing me to use up more things and waste less so I might just force myself to plan just a week at a time for a while... I have a freezer full of veggies and fruits that really need to be used up. And my chest freezer is filled to the brim as well.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!