HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Last day of September. Already?!
- Our son had his first cross-country meet today. He had made Varsity this year, which would have meant he was running first so we left at 4:00 p.m. to be there on time. However, he texted me, after we had already left, that he had been demoted back to Junior Varsity (presumably because he missed a practice) so we ended up being there reaaaaaally early. Like 2 hours early. Arrgh. Furthermore, we were under strict orders not to cheer him on because he "hates this". Greg cheered a little (but was mostly a goofball) and I refrained from cheering aside from at the very end when I cheered for him in French, knowing that he couldn't understand what I was saying anyway. Arrgh, teens and puberty, my least favorite mix.
- Today was my weekly grocery shopping and errands trip. I actually skipped Target as we have lots of strawberries left in the fridge (my main reason for going there) but I had to venture into Walmart to get more powdered buttermilk. Argh. I hate shopping there.
- I was very stressed because when I put the rebar that I bought at Lowe's into Greg's truck bed, I had to bend it for it to fit and then I couldn't get the gate open. There is a cover on the truck bed that locks on the gate so I couldn't get that open either. I texted him to warn him and was apprehensive about his answer because he babies his truck and then he didn't reply so for 90 minutes I thought he was very mad at me... come to find out, he never got my text, LOL. So I stressed for no reason. He looked at the truck when I got home, slammed the gate shut with his shoulder (so manly! apparently it wasn't shut all the way in so it wouldn't open either. I would never have figured that out!) and was able to reopen it just fine. I gave him a big kiss right there in the driveway and then our neighbor told us to go get a room, lol.
- There was some reorganization in Greg's company yesterday, at the executive level, and his new big boss wants their team retreat to move from Orlando to either England or Ireland. Arrrgh, I want to go too! Only it would be in December (not a good month to go visit either, IMO, it's way too cold!) and our son is too young to leave at home so... I'm stuck here. Seriously, though, who wouldn't want to have the retreat in FLORIDA in December?! The guy is from Vancouver so you'd think he would want to come here, not go to another cold, rainy country!
- Last night I made a large batch of chicken stock with the bones I had in the freezer. This morning I strained it. I got almost 12 cups of stock, 8 of which I froze in upcycled Chinese soup take-out containers and an upcycled yogurt container.
- I picked the meat off the bones, got about 2 cups of chicken meat which I will use for tacos soon.
- I got dinner started early since it's a crockpot dinner, however I started it at 7 a.m. and then realized that the cooking time was only 5 hours total. Ooops. Oh well, I guess I'll have to reheat it tonight.
- I checked the new Aldi and Save A Lot weekly ads (they start today) online and made a note of what I might want to buy. On my list: $2.99 pumpkins from Aldi. I'll eventually cook them and puree them. I need to remember to leave room in the freezer for all of that!
- My daughter drove herself to school and took a packed lunch.
- My son took a packed lunch to school as well.
- Greg worked from home, saving us about $20 in gas and tolls and allowing me to use his truck for my grocery shopping trip.
- I watered my indoor seedlings and zombie celery plants with rainwater collected in a bin outside.
- I packed my 2nd cup of morning coffee into a traveling mug so I could sip on it while shopping. I also brought a snack along but I didn't eat it so I put it back in the pantry when I got home.
- I had planned on fewer stops today. I skipped Walgreens, Target, Publix, Winn Dixie and Dollar Tree. Since I was stressed about the truck, I also didn't stop by the thrift store to drop off my pet coupons. I'll go next week. All in all, I made 8 stops. I was home by 11:30 and that was very nice :)
- I priced the bread flour at Walmart since I was there anyway. Wow, it's way cheaper than Publix or Target! I'm going to have to go there to get it from now on.
|The Pillsbury brand was even cheaper at $2.50, but didn't mention|
whether it was bleached or not. Gold Medal isn't bleached.
- I filled up Greg's truck gas tank at Racetrac. Gas is still $1.99/gallon right now and I got a receipt with another survey to take for a free roller grill item :) I also redeemed a former receipt for a free hot dog.
- I needed more rebar to make more gardening tents. I decided to buy 4 of them so I could use my $5 off $25 Lowe's coupon. I should have done that last week and bought 4 of them then, dang it!
- My lunch was the rest of the Carrot Coriander Soup, the free hot dog from Racetrac (topped with my homemade zesty pickles), the last piece of Fresh Pear Torta and an orange.
- Before eating it for lunch, I zested the orange and froze the zest.
- I submitted my Aldi receipt to Checkout 51 for a $0.25 rebate on the bananas that I bought.
- I overcooked dinner in the crockpot so it wasn't as delicious as it's been in the past. And I just realized it's because I completely forgot to add the Cheddar cheese to it. Oh no!
- I met my 1st Daily Goal in Swagbucks and earned a 300 SB bonus by reaching it for 30 days in a row. Woohoo, go me!
WE SPLURGED ON:
- 5 Powerball lottery tickets. I know, I know... but you don't win if you don't play :) The jackpot is over $300 million. Can you imagine how many CVS gift cards I could get with that? LOL. The drawing is tonight.
- $4.00 to attend our son's cross country meet. I don't agree that they charge for those, but I guess they need to fund the buses to take the kids to the various locations.
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- One of my favorite pair of capris has a large rip in between the thighs. The fabric is pretty thin so I'll try to apply a patch instead of mending it with thread. Dang it.
TASKS ACCOMPLISHED TODAY:
- I put the recycling out to the kerb for collection.
- I put away the chicken stock and picked the meat from the bones.
- I watered the indoor plantings.
- I inspected the garden for bugs.
- I ran errands and documented my purchases.
- I recorded my expenses into my spreadsheets.