Friday, September 11, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 9/11/15



  • This has to be one of the grossest things I have ever found in my fridge... I had opened (evidently quite a long time ago!) a brick of Neufchatel cheese and then tucked it back in its box in the "cheese" bin in my fridge, in such a way that the box looked unopened.  When I went to get it to make cream cheese icing for my daughter's red velvet pancakes last weekend, I found... this.  Ugh.
So sorry you had to see that!

  • 4 ears of corn (only 3 pictured). I bought them at Target last week, steamed them for dinner on Monday. They looked great but tasted... fermented and really gross. Ugh. They went into the compost.


  • What is it with me growing my own food but then not cooking it and having to compost it?!  These 3 tiny potatoes and 1 tiny sweet potato were good surprises when I found them in my garden, but they just sat on my counter way too long. Ugh.





  • I had to compost 3 or 4 serrano peppers that I had harvested and went mushy in the fridge. (no picture)









    • I used 4 hamburger buns that needed to be used up (package open over 2 weeks ago!) when I made chicken burgers on Monday.

    • An apple that had started to go bad. I sliced it with my new apple slicer, took out the bad bits and ate it for lunch.


    • This is kind of cheating because I had bought the cucumbers to make pickles, but I procrastinated for a week so they got so soft that my fingers poked a hole through the skin on a couple of spots.  Oops!  So I cut off the bad parts and saved the rest by making zesty pickles :) And I also saved all the serrano and jalapeƱo peppers that were still in my fridge by adding all of them to the pickles. So, zesty, indeed!
    One day I will be better at taking pictures, I hope.



    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!

    2 comments:

    1. Found you from your comment on Terri's Blue House Journal blog!! Excited to add you to my feed. This is a brilliant idea. Perhaps I should start keeping a journal of waste simply so I become more aware of what's not getting used.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hey Karla, thanks for stopping by! I did see that you commented on Terri's blog after I did :) I hope your library has the Ancestry subscription too. I seem to remember that it's somewhat limited but I can't remember for sure. I sprung for an Ancestry membership from home last summer for just one month and I was disappointed that I didn't get any new info compared to what I had already found at the library or through other sources. But I'm sure it's different for everyone!

        About the Food Waste Friday, I need to specify that I didn't come up with the idea. Another blogger "The Frugal Girl" (you can google her) started that in 2008 and a lot of bloggers have joined in. I found her last year and started doing that too and it's amazing how much posting about my food waste reduced it! Even when I had no followers whatsoever. So if you blog (do you? If so post your URL, I'd love to check out your blog!), you might want to try it :)

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!