- This has to be one of the grossest things I have ever found in my fridge... I had opened (evidently quite a long time ago!) a brick of Neufchatel cheese and then tucked it back in its box in the "cheese" bin in my fridge, in such a way that the box looked unopened. When I went to get it to make cream cheese icing for my daughter's red velvet pancakes last weekend, I found... this. Ugh.
|So sorry you had to see that!|
- 4 ears of corn (only 3 pictured). I bought them at Target last week, steamed them for dinner on Monday. They looked great but tasted... fermented and really gross. Ugh. They went into the compost.
- I had to compost 3 or 4 serrano peppers that I had harvested and went mushy in the fridge. (no picture)
- I used 4 hamburger buns that needed to be used up (package open over 2 weeks ago!) when I made chicken burgers on Monday.
- An apple that had started to go bad. I sliced it with my new apple slicer, took out the bad bits and ate it for lunch.
- This is kind of cheating because I had bought the cucumbers to make pickles, but I procrastinated for a week so they got so soft that my fingers poked a hole through the skin on a couple of spots. Oops! So I cut off the bad parts and saved the rest by making zesty pickles :) And I also saved all the serrano and jalapeño peppers that were still in my fridge by adding all of them to the pickles. So, zesty, indeed!
|One day I will be better at taking pictures, I hope.|
I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.
This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!