Friday, September 18, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 9/18/15



  • I was careless in getting something out of the fridge and one of my jars of homemade pickles fell to the floor and spilled out half of its contents.  Argh. I had a brain fart and threw the spilled mess away instead of composting it.



  • I had saved a cup of chicken broth in a plastic container in my fridge, but the lid wasn't closing properly and every time the container was jostled a little, some broth would spill.  Finally I opened it and it smelled a little off so I poured it down the drain.

  • I forgot to make a stir-fry with some spinach left overs, like I had planned. They were almost liquid when I realized they were still in my veggie drawer.  Ewww... I composted them.


  • I waited too long to use the Romaine hearts that I had bought a couple of weeks ago and some of the leaves had started to go bad. I picked them off and composted them (about half a head's worth).








    • We ate all the left overs.

    • I made bread crumbs with the heel of a loaf of bread that had been in my fridge for a while.


    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!

    6 comments:

    1. Great saves!

      I'm so glad you mentioned chicken broth. I've got some in my fridge that needs to be used, like today. I will have to incorporate that into my menu tonight.

      We did okay this week. I'm mostly trying to get through all the food we have before we move!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm so glad I don't have to move. I'd have to plan the move a year out to get rid of all the food we have in the house, I think! I hope you got to use up your broth. I hated throwing mine away, especially since it was the store-bought kind, but when it started smelling bad you really can't do anything with it, can you?

        Delete
    2. Oh no shame about the pickles (they always look so good). I'm always chucking stuff because I've dropped it, I have severe clumsyitis! Xx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I dropped so many things today, it's not funny. I was really tired after gardening and my hands just wouldn't cooperate!

        Delete
    3. Unfortunately, I threw out a piece of roast beef that had been wrapped in tin foil and lost in the back of the fridge. Also I threw out a half container of cottage cheese. Bad, bad Susan.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They need to come up with a very thin and long fridge that doesn't have a "back of the fridge", don't they?! Like one of those library shelves where they display the magazines. You did great, though, Susan, it didn't sound like you had a ton of waste at all! I hate cottage cheese so I never buy it, but I love roast beef. I would have been upset to have to throw that away!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!