Friday, September 25, 2015

Food Waste Friday: 9/25/15


A couple of days ago NPR published an article entitled "Don't Toss That Sour Milk! And Other Tips to Cut Kitchen Food Waste."  I'm linking it in case some of you might find it useful.  I'm always curious to learn new tricks to avoid food waste so I checked to see if the book they're referring it is available at my library but it isn't so I requested that they purchase it. It's being published on September 29, though.



  • I found a moldy orange in our fruit bowl. Yuck.  I composted it and washed the surrounding oranges.


  • I spilled jar of homemade zesty pickles (again!) and I had a little bit of waste, but thankfully not a lot (it was more juice than pickles that spilled).

  • I had to compost three baked potato halves that had gotten slimy in the fridge. This was a big disappointment because I felt sure they would last a few more days :(


  • I also had to compost 2 grape tomatoes that had gotten rotten but I saved the rest of the pint by eating it :)









    • Save #1: I used a can of Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup that had a July 2015 expiration date to make a cherry coffee cake recommended by Alison from NOVA Frugal Family.

    • Save #2: Instead of making the recipe's icing, I used the rest of the Cream Cheese Icing that I had made for my daughter's Red Velvet pancakes back on 9/5. It was still good and went perfectly with the coffee cake.


    • Save #3: this orange had started developing a rotten spot but I cut it off, zested the orange and froze the zest, and ate the fruit for lunch :)



    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!

    2 comments:

    1. Woo Hoo!! I am glad that you enjoyed the coffee cake. I am super good searching for things in the cupboard to make but it makes me sad when things go bad too. Were those potatoes cooked?? I peel and cut my potatoes to make french fries in the morning and soak them in water so that I don't have to prep them before dinner so that I have enough time to cook. I don't think that I normally have leftover cooked potatoes that often so I was just wondering. Did you cook them for a particular recipe??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No, I had steamed them because they were a little old and I was trying to avoid food waste. So I steamed them (without adding anything to them) and cut them up in halves with the intention of having half a baked potato for lunch every day during the week. Only I ended up eating leftovers most of the week and didn't realize that the potatoes had gotten slimy. Maybe I could have just cut off the top portion in case the bottom of them was still salvageable, but it didn't even occur to me until now.

        Greg really loved that coffee cake and was upset when I ate the last piece after asking if he wanted any and he declined, lol.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!