This was not a good week at Casa Nathalie & Family!
- A strawberry that looked fine but was all soft and disgusting on the inside :( I composted it.
- Sadly, several chiles and jalapeños that I had harvested last week. I didn't put them in the fridge and the heat got to them before I could use them up. I should have dried them.
- 3 cups of homemade chicken stock that had turned. I should have planned better.
- An apple that I was actually trying to save because only about 1/4 of it looked bad from the outside. But then I cut it open and it was ALL bad on the inside. So it went into the compost.
- The rest of a salad that was already several days old and that I had drenched in homemade dressing to eat as my lunch. It was too big and I couldn't finish it.
- We had to compost several strawberries this week since I neglected to rinse them with vinegar water and several got mold and couldn't be saved... here are 2 of them...
- I defrosted several cups of green beans on Wednesday morning but ended up not cooking them until Thursday night. They tasted very off so we just composted them :( (no picture)
- I made a Caprese salad from 2 soft-looking tomatoes and a chunk of mozzarella cheese that had been in my fridge almost way too long. The basil was from my garden.
- I finally cooked that organic cabbage head that had been in my fridge for over a month. The outside leaves had turned partially black (yeach!) and there were a few black spots on the inside as well but I just cut them off. Everything else was completely fine.
- We all ate leftovers most of the week. My goal is to never have any leftover waste but I'm also going back to watching my calorie intake... it's going to be hard to attain both goals, but I'll try.
I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.
This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who has been blogging about her food waste since 2008!