Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week: 9/9/15


Wednesday is my main shopping day, however this week I went shopping on Monday (to take advantage of Greg's truck) and on Tuesday (since Aldi ended up being closed on Monday!). My official 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I've been trying to stick to a $50/wk budget since February.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $50.00
Total OOP: $57.34
Rebates expected: $0.50
Total spent after rebates: $56.84
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET by $6.84


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.36 OOP


  1. This was an indulgence, but a cheap one :)
  • 2 bottles of Starbucks Ice Coffee (Target) @ $1.99 each, minus 40% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons, minus 5% REDcard discount = $0.18 each so $0.36

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.85 OOP
  1. I probably should have bought 2 loaves. I might have to bake my own bread at the end of the week so I don't have to go back out just for bread.
  • 1 loaf of white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85


 Cereals: $1.80 OOP and I will get $0.50 from SavingStar

  • 1 box of Reese's Puffs (CVS), on sale @ $ 2.00, minus $0.50 printable manufacturer coupon, minus $1.00 ECB redemption = $0.50, but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with our American Express Rewards program.  Also, I will receive a $0.50 rebate from SavingStar.
  • 1 box of Cocoa Puffs (CVS), on sale @ $1.88, minus $0.75 printable manufacturer coupon, minus $1.00 ECB redemption = $0.13, but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with our American Express Rewards program.
  • 1 box of Grapes Nuts (Target) @ $2.94, minus 10% Cartwheel discount, minus $0.75 coupon (cut out from a previous box), and minus 5% REDcard discount = $1.80

Dairy: $19.51 OOP and received $1.00 in ExtraCare Bucks
  1. The kefir went up to $2.79 this week (it was priced at $2.49 last week!) and this time I bought 3 bottles, just in case.  They only had pomegranate or mango so I got pomegranate. Greg says it tastes just like the strawberry.  I tried it and it didn't taste much like anything to me.
  2. I just needed 1 gallon of milk this week and I didn't have room in my freezer to get another one (for the $1 ECB). Also, I used the last of my milk coupons.  I'll miss those!
  3. My daughter had told me she didn't need more string cheese but I'm glad I got it because she had miscalculated how much was left from the last package.  I like those too! 
  • 1 gallon T.G. Lee DairyPure whole milk (CVS) @ $3.79, minus $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupon= $2.79 but but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with our American Express Rewards program, and I received $1.00 ECB.
  • 3 32-oz bottles of Lifeway kefir (Aldi) @ $2.79 each = $8.37
  • 1 lb unsalted butter (Aldi) @ $2.89
  • 14 cups Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $5.46
  • 1 package Fit & Active string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $0.00 OOP 
  • None needed

Produce/Juice: $14.81
  1. My daughter and I decided that getting the can of mandarin made more sense than getting the 3 small cups for the same price. The can is slightly heavier (so presumably more mandarin) and produces less packaging waste, for the same price. 
  2. The potatoes weren't on my list but the price was nice for this kind of potatoes, which are my favorite kind.
  • 2.41 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.06 and received $0.25 from Checkout 51 = $0.81
  • 2 6-oz containers Driscoll's raspberries (Target), @ $1.99 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons from the Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus $0.05 bag discount, minus 5% REDcard discount = $1.65
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29
  • 3 lbs navel oranges (Aldi), on sale @ 1.99
  • 1 cucumber (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.50
  • 1 can Libby's mandarin oranges (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 4.63 lbs grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $4.58
  • 5 lbs Klondike Gold potatoes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.99


Proteins: $13.45 OOP and earned 40 Balance Rewards points
  1. The chicken sausages weren't on my list but since they're a seasonal item and we really like them, I decided to get a couple packs for my freezer.
  • 2 hot dogs (Racetrac) @ $1.39 each but FREE after redemption of survey code rewards.
  • 2 dozens large eggs (Walgreens), on sale @ $2.49 each = $4.98 and earned 40 Balance Reward points.
  • 9 oz container of oven roasted turkey (Aldi) @ $2.49
  • 2 packages of chicken sausages (Aldi), on seasonal promotion @ $2.99 each = $5.98

Snacks: $6.56 OOP

    • 2 packages peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.78
    • 1 box Fit & Active Vitality cereal bars (Aldi) @ $1.79
    • 1 package Spekuloos cookies (Aldi) @ $1.99
    • 1 Snickers bar (Murphy USA) @ $1.39 but FREE after store coupon
    • 2 bags light popcorn (CVS), $1.00 each but FREE after $2.00/2 printable store coupon
    • 1 box Swiss Rolls (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
    Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?

    2 comments:

    1. You've started well on your budget again, I can't believe that you can stick to roughly $50 a week, that is so good! Is Kefir like a yoghurt drink that settles the stomach? Xx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You know, what really irks me each week, in a way, is that my dinner plan usually doesn't require me to buy much - if anything. But then of course there are breakfasts and lunches and snacks.. and all the stuff I buy that actually wasn't on my list. So if push came to shove, I could cut it back a lot more (but I already have a lot in stock!).

        Kefir is liquid yogurt with probiotics in it (some kind of bacteria that help settle the digestive track, much like fermented foods). Greg swears it helps him. I think I've seen probiotic pills too in the vitamin section so I might try to get a bottle of those to keep on hand. Certainly it would take less space than the kefir and hopefully cost less to do the same job. Your question just reminded me that I had been meaning to investigate this so thanks!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!