Thursday, September 3, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I've been trying to stick to a $50/wk budget since February.

However this week I aimed for $100 and even went over due to a couple of things: I stocked up on a lot of meat at Winn Dixie and Target due to their great sale prices, Greg was having tummy trouble and required some kefir (pricey!), and it was my daughter's birthday this week so I bought extra things to make a special cake for her.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $129.19 minus $7.48 credit from Aldi scale refund = $121.71
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $121.71
Money left in budget: went OVER budget by $21.71 and will reduce next week's budget by corresponding amount


Baking Supplies: $3.48 OOP



  1. The gelatine was for the birthday cake. I could have sworn that I had a couple of packets in my pantry, but they must have been disposed of during the successive invasions of the pantry moths this past year and a half.
  2. The mini chocolate chips went up by 20 cents at Aldi. Last time I bought them (last month), they were $1.59.
  • 1 packet of unflavored gelatine (Publix) @ $1.69
  • 1 bag of mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79

Beverages: $6.22 OOP

  1. The Propel water purchase was supposed to trigger a $1.25 ECB but since it was a rain check, the cashier entered it manually and a $2.00 ECB printed. Woohoo!
  2. The first bottle of Diet Coke was a total splurge (I got a free sandwich with it so it was worth it!)
  • 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke (Racetrac) @ $1.79
  • 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke (Murphy USA), FREE after store coupon
  • 12-ct ginger ale soda cans (Save A Lot) @ $2.29
  • (4) 24-oz cans of Arizona tea (Walgreens) @ $0.50 each after store coupon = $2.14 (taxable)
  • 1 Propel water (CVS) @ $1.25 after rain check but FREE after ECB redemption and paying for the balance with a CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program. 

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.20 OOP
  • 1 can of Pillsbury Grands! biscuits (Winn Dixie), on sale @ $1.00, minus $0.50/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $0.50
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
 Cereals: $2.79 OOP
  1. I really should only be buying Special K cereal right now since I have about 20 boxes of cereal that my son likes already, but it's hard to resist a clearance sale when I have corresponding coupons (that will earn me Swagbucks too!)...
  2. ... or when they're completely free after sale and coupon!
  • 2 boxes of Special K Red Berries (CVS), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $4.00 but FREE after sale, coupon and ECB redemption and paying for the balance with a CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program. I also earned 160 Kellogg's Family Rewards points.
  • 3 boxes of Kellogg's Jif cereal (Target), on clearance @ $1.48 each, minus $1.50 in manufacturer coupons, minus 5% REDcard discount = $0.93 each or $2.79
  • (1) 36-oz bag of Malt o Meal Frosted Mini Spooners (Target), on sale @ $2.50 minus $2.50/1 manufacturer coupon received when I requested a refund for a smaller bag of  MoM cereal = FREE
Dairy: $20.11 OOP and received $2.00 in ECBs
  1. As I have mentioned before, Aldi sells double the volume of kefir for 10 cents cheaper than Publix! I'm so glad we have an Aldi in Clermont :)
  2. The whipping cream is for the birthday cake.
  3. I only needed 1 cup of plain yogurt for a recipe later on this week, but Aldi doesn't sell the small cups in "plain" flavor so I got the 32-oz container. Since I'm supposed to start watching my food intake, this will help.
  4. The cashier at CVS wouldn't accept my DairePure coupons, claiming that they didn't sell "that brand". I explained to her that it wasn't a "brand", just an appellation and she accepted them.
  • (2) 16-oz bottles of Lifeway kefir (Publix) @ $2.59 each = $5.08
  • (2)  32-oz bottles of Lifeway kefir (Aldi) @ $2.49 each = $4.98
  • (2) gallons T.G. Lee DairyPure whole milk (CVS) @ $3.79 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $5.58 but FREE after paying with a CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program and received $2.00 in ECBs.
  • 32-oz container of plain yogurt (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 12 cups of Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $4.68
  • 1 cup of Plenti Greek yogurt (Publix) @ $1.67, minus $1.67/1 digital manufacturer coupon = FREE
  • 1 cup La LibertĂ© yogurt (Publix) @ $1.00, minus $1.00/1 digital manufacturer coupon = FREE
  • 12 oz American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 16 oz heavy whipping cream (Aldi) @ $1.69
Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $5.92 OOP 

  1. Lots of barbecue sauce but at less than a quarter each... you betcha I was going to stock up a little!
  2. I didn't need the light mayo but they have it marked as a "seasonal" item and we really like it (and the price) so I'm buying 2 jars ahead to last us during the "non seasonal" period which will ensue at some point.
  3. I needed beef bouillon granules and couldn't find any so I got the can of beef broth. At my next stop (Dollar Tree), they did have the granules!
  4. I had forgotten about SavingStar so I didn't expect to get the rebate on Zatarain's rice mix and that was a good surprise

  • 6 bottles of Kraft barbecue sauce (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79 each, minus (6) $0.55/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $1.44 (or $0.24 each)
  • 2 boxes of Zatarain's Caribbean Rice Mix (Winn Dixie), on sale @ $1.00 each, minus $0.50/2 printable manufacturer coupon,  and got $0.50 Savingstar rebate  = $1.00
  • 32 oz Fit & Active light mayonnaise (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 1 can beef broth (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 1 small jar Wyler's beef bouillon granulĂ©s (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
Produce/Juice: $28.28

  1. Completely and apologetically taking advantage of the sale price on grapes to load up the kids with grapes!  They love them and I love that they're eating fruit :)
  2. Those Del Monte Fusions cup are pretty darn good!

  • 1.04 lbs of leeks (Winn Dixie), on sale @ $1.50/lb = $1.66
  • 8.32 lbs of grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $8.24
  • 2 cans of Lindsey olives (Walgreens), on sale for $0.99 each, minus $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $0.98
  • 4 packages of Del Monte Fruit & Veggie Fusions cups (Publix), on sale @ $2.00 each, minus (4) $1.00/1 manufacturer printable coupons = $4.00
  • (2) 16-oz containers of Driscoll's strawberries (Target) @ $2.99 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus 5% REDcard discount = $3.50 (or $1.75 each)
  • (2) 6-oz containers of Driscoll's raspberries (Target), on sale @ $1.79 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus 5% REDcard discount = $1.34 (or $0.67 each)
  • 4 ears of sweet corn (Target), on sale @ $0.99, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus 5%  REDcard discount = $0.89
  • 2.1 lbs of bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $0.92 and got $0.25 back from Cartwheel = $0.67
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29
  • 15-oz can Libby's mandarins (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 3-ct mandarin fruit cups (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 1 jar minced garlic (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 1 avocado (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 2 cucumbers (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.50 each = $1.00
  • 1 quart grape tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.49


Proteins: $49.15 OOP
  1. Can you believe all the meat that I got this past weekend and today?! I seriously have to stop for a while now :)
  2. I'm absolutely taking advantage of those Racetrac surveys to score free food. Free food is my favorite food :)
  3. I guess they weren't lying when they predicted that the price of poultry would go up at the end of the year... the 9-oz package of oven roasted turkey was $0.50 more expensive than the same package of Black Forest Ham. It's the first time that I see a price difference with this brand.

  • 10 lbs chicken leg quarters (Winn Dixie), on sale for $0.49/lb = $4.90
  • 9.1 lbs of chicken breasts (Winn Dixie), on sale for $1.45/lb = $13.20
  • 6.65 lbs of pork loin (Winn Dixie), on sale for $2.00/lb = $13.30
  • 2 lbs of tilapia (Winn Dixie), on BOGO sale for $7.99 = $7.99
  • (6) hot dogs (Racetrac), FREE after redemption of survey reward codes.
  • (4) 20-oz containers Gold'n Plump ground chicken (Target), on sale @ $2.99 each, minus (4) $1.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons, minus 5% REDcard discount = $5.66 (or $1.42 each)
  • (2) dozens large eggs (CVS) @ $1.99 each with rain check but FREE after ECB redemption.
  • 1 dozen large eggs (Aldi) @ $2.89
  • 2 boxes State Fair classic corn dogs (Publix), on BOGO (with raincheck) @ $3.49, minus (2) $0.55/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.39
  • (2) 9-oz containers of Buddig Premium oven-roasted turkey (Save A Lot) @ $2.99 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 insert manufacturer coupons = $4.48

Snacks: $11.04 OOP

  1. Not driving hardly ever anymore has also saved me money in gum purchases because I have conditioned myself to plop a piece of Mentos gum in my mouth as soon as I'm behind the wheel!  However I always stock up a little bit when the BOGO sale comes around.
  2. I had resisted the Speculoos Cookie Butter last week but then I felt cheap having put it back when I knew that my daughter would loooove having some on some crepes this fall (it was her favorite when we were in France this summer) so I bought a jar this week. I'm hiding it, though, since she's trying to watch her weight.
  3. No protein bars for Greg this week. He likes them but he said he was still eating the 3 boxes I had gotten him over the past 2 weeks.  I welcome this subtraction to my budget this week. He'd better not be spending money at the vending machine in other things, though.
  • 2 bottles of Mentos gum (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.49 = $3.49
  • 2 packages Lance peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.78
  • 1 box Fit & Active cereal bars (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 1 container Excite sugar free mints (Aldi) @ $0.99
  • 1 container Speculoos Cookie Butter (Aldi) @ $2.99

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it was worth going over your budget this week for what you got. And you got quite a lot of fruit bits too.
    I can understand you wanting to pick the cereal up when its on offer as long as the sell by date is ok its well worth it.
    Free food is always the best. We don't get free food here (shame) xx

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!