Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Grocery Shopping This Week


Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2015 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I've been trying to stick to a $50/wk budget since February.  However, since I anticipated stocking up on some baking items and snacks, this week I just tried staying under $100.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $70.14
Rebates expected: $1.00
Total spent after rebates: $69.14
Money left in budget: under budget by $30.86


Baking Supplies: $5.97 OOP

  1. I couldn't believe that at that price, the King Arthur flour was still on the clearance shelf!  I don't use whole wheat flour very often (usually only in my raspberry linzer tart cookies at Christmas!) but I couldn't NOT buy it for that price :)
  • 5 lbs King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour (Target), on clearance @ $0.84, minus 5% REDcard discount = $0.80
  • 4 lbs sugar (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 5 lbs AP flour (Aldi) @ $1.59
  • 1 bag mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79

Beverages: $0.36 OOP and received $2.00 in ExtraCare Bucks

  1. I had contacted Burger King Corporate about my local Burger King not printing survey codes on their receipts. The manager of the local store and I corresponded somewhat murkily, via email, about the issue so today I stopped by to see if she could clarify her answer.  It ended up being that she is not sure why the receipts are printing without survey codes and is waiting on Corporate to fix that and in the meantime she comped me an entire meal.  Now, that's great customer service ;)
  2. I got the 2 Starbucks drinks as an indulgence, again.  They were tagged at $1.99 on the shelf but rang up for $2.49 at the register. Unfortunately that was the one price tag that I hadn't photographed (I've learned my lesson at Target, now I try to remember to take pictures of all the price tags when I buy something) but the cashier just shrugged and adjusted the price for me.  Yay!
  3. CVS finally had the Lipton Sparkling teas in stock so I used the raincheck from a couple of weeks ago to get them with the ECB too.
  • 1 extra large Caffeine Free Lime Diet Coke (Burger King), FREE
  • 2 Starbucks Iced Coffee bottles (Target) @ $1.99 each, minus 40% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons, minus 5% REDcard discount = $0.36 (or $0.18 each)
  • 1 Quick Strike energy drink (Murphy USA), FREE after store coupon
  • 2 Lipton Sparking Tea (CVS), on sale after rain check for $1.00 each = $2.00 but FREE after redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and paying for the balance with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and received $2.00 in ExtraCare Bucks

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.35 OOP
  • 1 loaf white bread (Publix) @ $1.50
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85


 Cereals: $3.60 OOP and will earn Kellogg's Family Rewards points.
  1. I didn't need Grape Nuts since Greg still hasn't started the box I bought last week, but there is a 10% Cartwheel discount on them right now and I had (2) coupons too so I stocked up.  I looked through all the boxes to get the only two that had the $0.75 coupon printed on the inside, so I'll get 2 more boxes next week.
  • (2) boxes Special K Red Berries cereal (CVS), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $4.00 but FREE after redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and paying for the balance with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program.
  • (2) boxes Grape Nuts (Target), @ $2.94 each, minus 10% Cartwheel discount, minus (2) $0.75/1 manufacturer coupons from previous boxes, minus 5% REDcard discount = $3.60 (or $1.80 each)

Dairy: $9.68 OOP and received $2.00 in ExtraCare Bucks
  1. I had 2 separate rain checks for the Challenge Butter at Winn Dixie but decided to redeem only one of them today.  I'm glad because I only had coupon for 3 boxes but when I bought those today I realized that they had coupons printed on the inside. So next week I'll redeem the 2nd rain check and I'll be able to use the other $0.75 printable coupon and a $0.55 coupon from today's box.
  2. Greg and my daughter hadn't eaten all the yogurt cups that I had bought for them last week so I only needed to get 2 today.
  3. I took pictures of the string cheese packages at Target and Publix today (I forgot to check Winn Dixie) and I will record the prices in my price book. I have coupons for several brands so I'll see if I can get a better deal with coupons than at Aldi.
  • 2 gallons T.G. Lee DairyPure whole milk (CVS) @ $3.79 each but FREE after paying for purchase with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and received $2.00 in ExtraCare Bucks
  • 2 lbs Challenge unsalted butter (Winn Dixie), on BOGO sale @ $4.69 with raincheck, minus $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupon, minus $1.00/1 digital manufacturer coupon = $2.93
  • 16 oz light sour cream (Aldi), @ $1.29
  • 16 oz American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 12 oz Fit & Active string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79
  • 2 Fit & Active yogurt cups (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $0.78

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $7.12 OOP and will receive $1.00 from SavingStar
Actually, I forgot that I count the canned veggies as produce so they'll be
accounted for in the Produce/Juice section.
  1. How much barbecue sauce can I use in my cooking?  We're about to find out as with those 4 bottles, I think I now have 16 of them in my pantry, lol.  At $0.24 a bottle, they were a steal. They're priced at $1.99 each at Publix right now!
  2. I stocked up on canned soup since Greg likes having that when I don't feel like cooking or he doesn't feel like fixing himself lunch.
  • 4 bottles of Kraft barbecue sauce (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79 each, minus (4) $0.55/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $0.96 (or $0.24 each)
  • 1 bottle Tartar sauce (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 6 cans Progresso soup (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.29 each, minus (2) $1.00/3 printable manufacturer coupons = $4.87 and will receive $1.00 from SavingStar
  • 2 cans Progresso soup (CVS), on sale @ $1.50 each = $3.00 but FREE after redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and paying for the balance with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program.
Produce/Juice: $18.75
  1. The celery will be cut up and frozen.
  2. I'm so happy it's Fall!  I love butternut squash soup.  Acorn squash were also $1.59 at Aldi but I have one growing in my backyard right now.  I was disappointed it wasn't worth more, lol!
  3. The apples rang for $2.99 but they were supposed to be on sale for $1.99.  Thankfully the cashier realized that on her own and got the manager to adjust the price for me.
  • 2 can black beans (Aldi) @ $0.59 each = $1.18
  • 1 can corn kernels (Aldi) @ $0.49
  • 1 can Fit & Active salt free diced tomatoes  (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 2.63 lbs of bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.16 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.91
  • 1 sleeve celery (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99
  • 1 butternut squash (Aldi) @ $1.59
  • 1 jar Lindsay Naturals Spanish Manzanilla olives (Publix) @ $3.99 but $1.00 MONEY MAKER after $4.99 printable manufacturer coupon, so -$1.00
  • 1 extra large fries (Burger King), FREE
  • 1 lb baby carrots (Aldi), on sale @ $0.69
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29
  • 4.32 lb grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $4.28
  • 4 lbs Driscoll's strawberries (Target) @ $2.99 each, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus (4) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons from the Driscoll's Consumer Panel, minus 5% REDcard discount, minus $0.15 bag discount = $6.85 (or $1.71 each)


Proteins: $8.98 OOP
  1. For once the eggs were actually cheaper at Save A Lot ($2.79 a dozen) than at Aldi.  That almost never happens so I didn't get them at Save A Lot, thinking that Aldi's prices had gone down too. Only, they hadn't.  I didn't feel like stopping at Save A Lot again (I would have spent more than $0.20 in gas!) so I just bit the bullet and paid the higher price.
  2. Apparently my Target had an unadvertised sale on the Eggland eggs ($2.50 a dozen) but they were out of them so I had Customer Service issue me a rain check for 4 dozens. Hopefully a coupon for those will appear soon too :)
  3. At Target, I had a digital coupon for $3.00 off a $15 purchase of fresh produce, fresh deli or fresh bakery.  The strawberries came up to $11.96 before coupons so I went to the deli and saw a sign stating that the Honey Barbecue Mesquite Chicken Breast was on sale for $6.49/lb so I ordered half a pound. Only when she handed it to me, it had rang up for $6.99/lb/.  I questionned it and she realized that the closer last night had never taken off the expired sales tags so she repriced it for me anyway. Yay!  There was a 5% Cartwheel discount on it too, so after the $3.00 digital coupon, the whole thing was free. My favorite price :)
  • 2 dozens large eggs (Aldi) @ $2.89 each = $5.78
  • 1 hot dog (Racetrac) FREE after redemption of survey reward code
  • 1 Whopper with Cheese (Burger King), FREE
  • 1 lb Land O'Frost Premium Oven Roasted Turkey Breast (Winn Dixie), on sale @ $3.95, minus $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $3.20
  • 0.5 lb Archer Farms Honey Barbecue Mesquite Chicken Breast (Target), on sale @ $3.25, minus 5% Cartwheel discount, minus $3.00 store coupon = FREE

Snacks: $13.33 OOP, will earn Kellogg's Family Rewards points and received 2,000 Balance Rewards points.
  1. I stocked up on Nutella and Special K cereal bars this week!  They both were cheaper than the generic kind at Aldi, after the various coupons and points that I applied.
  2. I had been buying the Swiss Rolls at Dollar Tree for just $1.00 but today I compared boxes and the Dollar Tree box only has 8 rolls in it, versus 12 in the Aldi box. The price per roll is cheaper at Aldi.
  • 1 box Special K Red Berries Cereal Bars (CVS), on sale @ $2.50, minus $2.00 store coupon = $0.50 but FREE after redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and paying for the balance with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program.
  • 2 boxes Special K Red Berries Cereal Bars (Walgreens), on sale @ $1.99 each, minus $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupon = $2.98
  • 1 box Special K Red Berries Cereal Bars (Walgreens), on sale @ $1.99 but FREE after redemption of Balance Reward points.
  • 1 box Millville protein bars (Aldi), @ $1.99
  • 1 bag tortilla rounds (Aldi), @ $0.79
  • 12-ct Swiss Rolls box (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 2 packages peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.78
  • 3 jars Nutella (Walgreens), on sale @ $3.00 each, minus (3) $1.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $4.50
  • 2 jars Nutella (Walgreens), on sale @ $3.00 each, minus (1) $1.50 printable manufacturer coupon and (1) $1.50/1 insert manufacturer coupon = $3.00 but FREE after redemption of Balance Rewards points.
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

1 comment:

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!