HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Happy Halloween, if that's something you and your family enjoy!
- I was able to sleep in until 8 a.m. this morning so it really feels like the weekend. We have no plans save for watching the Gators (UF) hopefully beat the crap of the Georgia college football team this afternoon on TV. Well, Greg will do that and I'll pretend to watch but probably will be reading a book.
- Tonight marks the end of Daylight Savings Time for most of us in the USA. Don't forget to turn back your clocks!
- I had another good Swagbucks surprise this morning: not only my daily goal was lower than it's been recently (82 SB) but I already had a 67 SB credit from an Amazon purchase from September. Yippee! I'm a little past 2,000 SB and I should be able to order a $25 gift card for just 2,200 SB tomorrow so I'm still going to try to earn more points today so I can have another $25 Walmart gift card for grocery shopping.
- I earned the maximum of daily Bing Rewards credits.
- Michelle, a reader, emailed me a Coke product code that she spotted and wasn't going to use. Thanks again, Michelle! I'm banking it until Tuesday when they will be offering double points on Coke bottle codes again!
- I ordered the free 8 x 10 reprint from Walgreens and picked a close-up photo of my roselle calyces. I'll frame it with a $1 frame from Dollar Tree and will use it to start decorating the guest room when my middle son moves out (end of December).
- I suggested to Greg that he gets a haircut from Great Clips on 11/11 since he's a veteran and he can get it for free on that day. He's been resisting my demands that he gets a haircut now (not a fan of a longish hair on a man, I must say) for several weeks, claiming that he wants to wait until just before Thanksgiving in order to be "frugal".
- Based on previous weekends (when I failed and spent money on take out because I didn't feel like cooking), I decided to keep my dinner plans to something that I won't mind cooking when it comes time. So Hamburger Helper it is!
- I watered the indoor zombie celery and the pineapple that is currently regrowing roots with water collected after boiling eggs.
- Gee whiz, Greg actually did go through with letting me film him talk about our generator battery and buying experience with AbsoluteGenerators.com so we could get a $50 refund! He was so great at it too! I uploaded it to Dropbox and emailed it to them so hopefully they come through and it's a $50 refund because I'm not sure what else we could buy from them if it's a store credit...
- I washed our bedding in cold/cold and hung it out to dry on the back patio.
- Greg made himself a sandwich for lunch while I had the chicken sausage that I didn't eat last night, some potato rolls and a piece of string cheese. My daughter made Alfredo pasta for herself and brother.
- I finally processed the thyme that I had started drying back in late August.
- I also harvested fresh thyme and set it out to dry on my kitchen windowsill.
- Supplies for the dessert my daughter baked for her party tonight. She and my youngest son walked to the store to get them though so that's a small victory :) Update: well they couldn't find what they needed at the local store so they ended up driving to Publix. There goes my No Drive Day!
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
Typing this at 10:13 a.m. and hoping that I won't have to cross it off: no failures today!
- Well, crap: I opened my Ibotta app which assured me that I was 90% of the way towards earning the October team bonus and realized that today is the last day to earn that bonus... and I have no plans to do any shopping! I need to redeem 2 offers of $0.25 or more to earn the $1 bonus. But using gas to do that (even if I needed anything on the list of rebates available) would negate any savings so... I'll forfeit the $1. I can't believe that when I was looking at Ibotta on Wednesday and reporting on my progress with it, it didn't occur to me that I needed to hit that goal by today!
- When it came time to baking my daughter found a spoiled half empty can of white frosting in the pantry... a can that she had opened many months ago and left there, in all probability. She's infamous for that. Arrgh. So not only did we have to throw it away, but she had to go back out to the local store and buy more frosting, which was double the price that it would have been at Aldi or Save A Lot. Grrr.
- Someone left the light on in the upstairs bathroom all.day.long. Arrgh!
- Greg did use the $5/$5 O'Reilly's coupon that expires today but instead of getting a freebie with it (we had discussed oil for the trimmer), he bought $25 car mats for our family car! I could get them cheaper on Amazon so I'll be returning them (and hopefully they'll take them back since he charged them to a credit card that I don't have). So we lost the $5 anyway.
TASKS ACCOMPLISHED TODAY:
- Helped my daughter think of a dessert she could bake to bring to her party tonight: she's making Monster Brownies. I can't find the instructions on the Betty Crocker site anymore but here is a picture of them from Yahoo! Images. We used to make those when the kids were little.
- Helped Greg print some documents from his computer (he never prints anything).
- Watered the indoor zombie plants (all two of them!)
- Uncovered the zucchini plants so the flowers could get pollinated (lots of moths and butterflies around the beans this morning!)
- Filmed Greg's review of our generator battery and emailed it to the seller.
- I washed our bedding.
- I decided not to darn the 2 white socks that had holes in them because the fabric was so thinned out that they would have developed new holes very soon anyway. So I used one of them to dust my living room instead.
- I straightened out the coffee table.
- I harvested fresh thyme and processed the dried one.
- I analyzed my October grocery spending, posted about it and modified my spreadsheet to be more accurate.
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!