Saturday, November 14, 2015

Frugal Successes and Failures: Saturday 11/14/15



HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
  • I was chilled this morning and thought it might be due to stress from last night's events but it actually was 71 in the living room: we'd had a small cold front move through.  A tiny one.

  • Today brought the news that my brother and sister-in-law who live in Paris have a friend who was attending the concert at the Bataclan music hall and who got shot there.  As of this morning he was in the hospital after undergoing surgery and was going to be fine.  My SIL said that pretty much everyone they know knows someone who was killed, wounded, or a witness. Everyone is shocked, of course, and following the news and wondering how life is going to shape up after that.  And there is a lot of anger too. But they're safe and for that I am thankful.

  • Life goes on here and everywhere, so I'm resuming my frugal accounting on this blog.

FRUGAL SUCCESSES:
  • I really wanted donuts (comfort food) this morning but didn't feel like driving to get them. A small frugal victory.

  • I earned the daily maximum of Bing Rewards.  The Swagbucks goal was 88 SB, which is going to take me a long time to reach as I didn't qualify for any surveys and running the usual videos conflicts with my watching the French news live on the internet.  Update: I earned 39 SB in a search so I was able to reach my first goal by mid afternoon.

  • Late last night I heard back from Starbucks who apologized for the breakfast sandwich not having been cooked long enough and who refunded my purchase. 

  • Amazon refunded my order of the new silicone baking mats.


  • Lunch was the rest of the Potato Puffs from last night and a sandwich, using the last of the horribly flat hamburger "buns" that I had baked a few days ago.

  • I baked a loaf of white bread.

  • I mixed a new bottle of liquid hand soap and reused the same bottle of foaming soap to store it.

  • I harvested pole green beans, a tomato and 3 serrano peppers.


  • I reused rainwater collected in the bins outside to water the in-ground plants.

  • I received the decal that I ordered on Amazon as a Christmas present for my daughter and the sender had included a 2nd decal for free, same theme.  

  • I took two Racetrac surveys and earned two survey reward codes for a free roller grill item.

  • I entered the code from the Coke bottle Greg brought me back into My Coke Rewards and earned 3 MCR points.
  • I got a 2L bottle of Diet Coke for free after store coupon when buying a Family Combo Meal.  


WE SPLURGED ON:
  • Gas and tolls for my daughter to drive to her dad's for the weekend.

  • Greg and our son went to the range to practice their shooting. 

  •  On their way home, they stopped by Donut King as a surprise and picked us up a dozen donuts :)


  • They also bought a drink.  Greg picked a Coke product and brought me back the bottle cap.

  • Gas to go return the Redbox movie that I rented for free but that we ended up not watching last night or today.  No one was in the mood.

  • And since I wasn't in the mood to cook dinner, I picked us up a Publix Family Combo Meal (8 pieces fried chicken, (2) 16 oz containers of potato salad, 4 Hawaiian rolls) and a 2L bottle of Diet Coke.  Total OOP: $12.96 since the Diet Coke was free after coupon.



HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
  • I can't think of any failures.


TASKS ACCOMPLISHED TODAY:
  • I corresponded with my brother and SIL.
  • I made our bed.
  • I folded the laundry.
  • I swept the house.
  • I shook the bathroom mats outside.
  • I cleaned the upstairs toilet bowl.
  • I dry-mopped the kitchen.
  • I vacuumed the living room and the exercise room carpets.
  • I harvested vegetables.
  • I watered in the in-ground plants.
  • I trimmed dead branches off several plants.
  • I made some liquid hand soap.
  • I baked bread.
  • I changed the AC air filters.

Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed that you wanted doughnuts but you were too lazy to get them which was a success which also made me laugh more when they brought you home doughnuts. I love doughnuts too and would totally pick them when I wasn't feeling great. Sorry to hear about all your friends and family in Paris. I can't believe what happened. I had to turn off the TV when the coverage came on because my son was still awake and it was pretty graphic so I didn't know a ton about what happened at first. I hope that everyone that you know is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison. My brother and SIL went back to work today but didn't email me tonight so I'm not sure how they coped with everything. I'll try to find out tomorrow.

      I wasn't as enthusiastic about the donuts when they brought them back as they thought I would be because it was something like 4 p.m. and I had wanted donuts at 10 a.m.! I want Donut King to open a location in my little town so we don't have to drive 15 minutes one way to go get them. Or have a donut truck, like the ice cream truck, driving through the neighborhood (but without the loud music). But then, I'd be much fatter.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!