Friday, February 12, 2016

Food Waste Friday: 2/12/16



  • 4 mashed potato patties that I had defrosted to make potato rolls but that went unused.


  • The rest of a small brick of UHT whipped cream from Trader Joe's that went bad in the fridge.



  • I threw away the turkey carcass from Sunday's turkey because I didn't think I had room in the freezer for it.

  • I threw away the fat from the Hickory Smoked Ham that I cut up today because we don't like fat and I already have a jar of bacon fat in the fridge anyway so I really didn't have any use for it. We don't have dogs and our cat are on prescription food.









    • We ate all the leftovers and those that we didn't eat so far have been accounted for on our dinner menu for the rest of the week :)

    • We reused tea bags.

    • I ate the cantaloupe that was past its prime :)

    • I ate the last 2 pieces of focaccia bread that had been kicking around the fridge for a couple of weeks. I nuked them for 20 seconds each to make them softer and they were fine.
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    4 comments:

    1. Just checking! I am making sure you didn't "forget" to add the turkey carcass.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL, I delayed publishing the post because I hadn't added it yet and somehow I just knew you'd be keeping tabs on me :)

        Delete
    2. I made turkey broth with the turkey carcass so that I didn't have to keep it. My husband says that I have a broth problem and I need to be cut off. He said that I have to stop making the broth of anything because the freezer is full. I decided that I should start canning instead :) I just put some mashed potatoes in the freezer that I still didn't get to make into your potato rolls. It wasn't a lot of waste this week so you did a great job!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You have a broth problem, lol! I would have liked to make broth with it too but my freezers are really full, there's no way I could have squeezed the large containers of broth in there. I would can it but I have a glass cooktop and I can't use a pressure canner on that (still thinking about trying to use it on the barbecue outdoors, though...) and chicken stock/broth has to be pressure canned. Arrgh.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!