Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week: 2/3/16



Wednesday is my main shopping day, but this week I went on Monday since I had to drive to the library anyway.  My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

1) I first came in at about $33, I think so I still had about $67 in my budget for the week.
2) But then I saw that Save A Lot was having a lot of great sales starting today so I went out again and amended this post accordingly (new things in pink).   The numbers now reflect today's shopping trip as well.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $54.31
Rebates expected: $1.00
Total spent after rebates: $55.31
Money left in budget: $44.69**



Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $1.99 OOP

  • (1) 4-oz jar of instant decaf coffee (Aldi) @ $1.99

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.16 OOP  (updated)
 

  • (1) loaf wheat bread (Walmart) @ $1.12 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • (1) 6-ct wheat hoagie rolls (Walmart) on 50% clearance @ $1.34, but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • (1) 6-ct Cuban hoagie rolls (Walmart) on 50% clearance @ $0.75, but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • (4) 16.3 oz cans of Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers biscuits (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79 each, minus (2) $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupons, minus $1.00 coupon deducted by the cashier by mistake (she realized it but shrugged and said "never mind!") = $0.16!


 Cereals: $-2.50 OOP and will receive Kellogg's Family Rewards points
  • (1) box Krave (CVS), on sale @ $1.99 minus $0.40/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $1.59 but FREE thanks to redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and gift card earned via our Mastercard Rewards program and will received KFR points.
  • (3) boxes Lucky Charms (CVS) @ $2.00 each with raincheck, minus (2) $0.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $5.00 but FREE thanks to redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and gift card earned via our Mastercard Rewards program and will receive $1.00 back from SavingStar so $1.00 MONEY MAKER.
  • (1) box Grape Nuts (Walmart) @ $2.92 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks, and received $0.75 back from MobiSave and $0.75 back from Ibotta so $1.50 MONEY MAKER.

Dairy: $12.35 OOP
  • (1) 16-oz container Daisy sour cream (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $1.00
  • (1) brick 2% UHT milk (Dollar Tree), @ $1.00
  • (1) 12 oz container ricotta cheese (Aldi), on seasonal pricing @ $1.89
  • (1) 8-oz brick mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • (1) 8-oz brick mozzarella (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • (1) 16-ct American cheese singles (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • (1) 12-ct string cheese sticks (Aldi) @ $2.79

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $0.69 OOP 
  • (1) 40-ct box Zing sweetener packets (Walmart) @ $2.69, minus $1.50/1 coupon = $1.19 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks and received $0.75 back from SavingStar so $0.75 MONEYMAKER
  • (1) 14-oz bag cornbread stuffing (Aldi), on clearance @ $0.25
  • (1) can Chunky soup (Aldi) @ $1.19
Produce/Juice: $11.78 (Updated)

  • (1) large bag green collards (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $1.00
  • 2.45 lbs bananas (Walmart) @ $0.56/lb = $1.37 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks and received $0.30 back from MobiSave so $0.30 MONEY MAKER
  • (1) hydroponic Boston lettuce (Aldi), on sale @ $1.49
  • (1) cucumber (Aldi), on sale @ $0.29
  • (2) Haas avocados (Aldi), on sale @ $0.39 each = $0.78
  • (1) 64-oz bottle organic apple juice (Aldi) @ $2.69
  • 2.51 lbs grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.99/lb = 4.99
  • 3 lbs red delicious apples (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.49 and received $0.30 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $1.94
  • 2 jars minced garlic (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $2.00
  • 5 lbs Klondike Gold potatoes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.99


Proteins: $27.96 OOP (Updated)


  • 8.18 lbs chicken thighs (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.69/lb = $5.65
  • 5.01 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (Walmart) @ $1.99/lb = $9.99 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • (2) 8-oz packages Smithfield Anytime cubed ham (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.29, minus (2) $0.75/1 store coupons and (2) $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $0.29
  • (1) Oscar Mayer Selects smoked turkey sausage (Walmart) @ $2.98 minus $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $1.98 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • (2) dozens large eggs (CVS), on sale @ $2.49 each = $4.98 but FREE thanks to redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and gift card earned via our Mastercard Rewards program.
  • 10 lbs chicken leg quarters (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.29/lb = $2.90
  • 12.33 lbs boneless pork sirloin chops (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.39/lb = $17.14
  • (1) Chicken HabaƱero Tamale (RaceTrac), FREE with redemption of RaceTrac Insider February coupon. (not pictured)

Snacks: $2.88 OOP (Updated)
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Walmart) @ $1.49 but FREE thanks to gift card earned via Swagbucks.
  • 1 box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi), @ $0.89
  • 2 bags Honey Nut Chex Mix (CVS), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98 but FREE thanks to redemption of ExtraCare Bucks and gift card earned via our Mastercard Rewards program.
  • 3 bags Macho Cheese TasteWorks chips (RaceTrac), FREE with redemption of (3) survey reward codes. (only 2 pictured)

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

5 comments:

  1. The coffee and avocados were cheap. I haven't looked in Aldi for coffee, I will have to check it out this week as we are running low. I look forward to seeing what bargains you picked up from savealot. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! Look at all the meat you picked up. Chicken leg quarters for 29 cents a pound? Pork loin chops for $1.39 a pound? I am dying here. I guess you HAD to go out again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I would have kicked myself for not grabbing those chicken leg quarters. I hate having to separate them into thighs and drumsticks (it's a pain and I don't like handling raw meat all that much!) but... $0.29/lb! It's crazy. The chops are boneless, have no fat, and they cut them pretty big so I ended up putting only a couple of them in some of the bags even though I had written "4 chops" on the bags. We have so much meat now, it's awesome. I like having a variety to choose from when I plan my menus! I really wish I could gave gotten the strawberries, but Florida strawberry season will be upon us really soon (I picked up the brochure for the Strawberry Festival that takes place next month just this afternoon) so we will soon be awash in cheap strawberries. They don't taste all that good (I really like the Driscoll's strawberries much better) but cheap is cheap and I just add them to my morning cereal. Or make scones with them.

      Delete
  3. Super amazing deal on all that stuff!! $0.29 a lb on any chicken is like they are giving it away!! I know that you will be making lots of chicken thighs in the coming months!!! Bet you are going to get that cashiers schedule who double scanned the coupons and go again when she is working ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwa, ah, ah, I had actually been thinking "I should start find out when her shifts are!". There's usually only 1 cashier when I go to Save A Lot because I go when it's not busy. I've only seen her a couple of times. They never seem to scan the coupons there, they just enter them by hand and I think it's because they don't want to spend the time trying to figure it out if the coupon doesn't scan. There aren't that many brand-name items at Save A Lot anyway so there's never a situation where someone has tons of coupons to redeem. So today she entered them by hand and then she scanned one of them unintentionally and the register took it. She was all surprised and, again, I think she didn't want to deal with having to call a manager to void it so she pretty much said "Screw it!" and I got an extra dollar off. I want her to work at Target instead of that one cashier who always scrutinizes my coupons like I'm some fraud mastermind or something!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!