Monday, February 1, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans: 2/1 through 2/7, 2016


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

This week I'm only cooking for 2 teens and myself most days. With Greg being away, it means one less person eating leftovers so I will endeavor to cook smaller portions than usual.  Also on Friday my son and I will be attending my oldest son's concert in Orlando so we will eat dinner out as a special treat.  Since I'm dining with a 14 year-old, Wendy's in the car will probably be our meal of choice, lol!

I didn't get to cook the meatloaf last week so I'm reporting it to this Sunday.  Additionally, Greg will be cooking a turkey for Sunday's dinner and I will cook the trimmings.  Every year, Greg and our son go spend Thanksgiving with Greg's elderly parents and I sometimes have Thanksgiving with my older kids. I say "sometimes" because they have other parental obligations thrust upon them on Thanksgiving Day while I'm trying to keep it as stress-less as possible for everyone. So last year I didn't cook a Thanksgiving meal at all.  Greg and I were talking about this last week and since I had gotten a cheap turkey at Christmas time that I had kept in the freezer. we decided that we will start and annual tradition of cooking a turkey dinner for Superbowl Sunday.  We're looking forward to it!  None of our kids watch football so it'll really be a tradition for the both of us only, but since we don't do anything for Valentine's Day either, we're killing 3 birds with 1 stones (Thanksgiving, Superbowl day munchies and Valentine's Day).


MONDAY:  Rigatoni with Broccoli* and Turkey Kielbasa
*Recipe from "All-New Light Cooking" cookbook p 308
This will allow me to use the broccoli crowns that I bought last week.
  • From the freezer: turkey kielbasa
  • From the pantry: pasta, EVOO, crushed red pepper
  • From the fridge: broccoli, minced garlic, grated parmesan cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  defrost mashed potatoes for rolls tomorrow
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Parsnip and Carrot Purée with Pork Loin Chops & Potato Rolls
This will allow me to use the parsnips that I bought 2 weeks ago.
  • From the freezer: pork loin chops
  • From the pantry: salt, pepper
  • From the fridge: butter, parsnips, carrots
  • Need to harvest: green onions
  • Need to make in advance:  **Make Potato Rolls**
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Cheese Ravioli with Meatballs & Potato Rolls
  • From the freezer: bag of Celentano cheese ravioli, Armour meatballs
  • From the pantry: red pasta sauce
  • From the fridge: nothing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

THURSDAY: Moroccan Lentil & Vegetable Soup* with Grilled Ham and Cheese
* Recipe from "All-New Light Cooking" cookbook, p 87
This will allow me to use the yellow squash that I bought last week
  • From the freezer: Diced onions, diced celery, sun-dried tomatoes, green pepper, basil or cilantro cubes
  • From the pantry:  EVOO, lentils, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, chicken broth
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, yellow squash, tomatoes, cheese slices, butter, ham, bread
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Eating Out!
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: nothing 
  • From the fridge: nothing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **start defrosting the turkey!**
  • Need to buy: Dinner from Wendy's, probably

SATURDAY: Blue Plate Meatloaf with Rice
A family favorite!  This will allow me to finish the bag of chopped spinach that's in the freezer.
  • From the freezer: ground beef, chopped spinach, peppers
  • From the pantry: cornbread stuffing, rice, beef gravy
  • From the fridge: ketchup, egg, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY: 1st Annual Superbowl Sunday Turkey Dinner with Herbed Bread Sticks*
* Bread sticks recipe from Easy Bread Machine Baking, p 107 (see variations)
  • From the freezer: turkey
  • From the pantry: potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, can of green beans, jar of gravy, onions
  • From the fridge: butter, milk, oranges, lemons
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: rolls
  • Need to buy: nothing

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

2 comments:

  1. The Superbowl turkey tradition sounds like a great idea. My eldest son who is into his football wanted us to have treats and things on Sunday but he has just told me it starts at about 11pm here and I need to go to work Monday so I'm not sure I will manage to watch it. What a shame xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. I love watching football, there are some amazing athletes! Tell your son that he'd better root for the Broncos and my beloved Peyton Manning! (although, between you and me, I think the Panthers will win because their quarterback, Cam Newton, is way younger and not injured. but hush, I won't admit that I said that!)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!