Monday, March 14, 2016

Frugal Failures and Successes: Monday 3/14/16




HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:

  • It's once again Domestic Monday in these parts but I'm so tired (I barely slept last night and it wasn't for fun and giggles, I just couldn't sleep!) that I'm not sure how domestic I'll be today.

  • I might have decided that I do like Josh Groban as a singer, after all.  While I couldn't sleep last night, I came across his "Live Josh Groban: Stages" concert on PBS (it was part of a pledge drive) and I actually enjoyed it.  I wish it had been the Orlando concert that they had filmed, but it was one taking place in Los Angeles.

  • Then I watched a "Nature" program called "Wild France" and it made me very nostalgic for my homeland.  There are a lot of gorgeous regions that I have never visited.

  • After dinner tonight, Greg and I watched a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones, Season 4 as conditioning before we get Season 5 tomorrow.

  • Single tasks accomplished today:
    • Reaching out to someone:  called both my older sons and made sure they were OK
    • Household chore:  ran the dehumidifier
    • Investing: 
    • Tax-related: 
    • General finances: 
    • Saving money:  printed extra coupons
    • Gardening:  I watered the seeds that I planted yesterday
    • Health: 
    • Cooking:  Baked a pumpkin pie for Pi Day
    • Indulging myself: bought a bluetooth speaker

FRUGAL SUCCESSES:
  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.

  • We finished 3 boxes of cereal this morning!  So I recycled the boxes and saved the bags to rinse them and reuse them as freezer bags.

  • Kellogg's Family Rewards sent a new bonus code for 25 KFR points.

  • And later on they sent me a 300 code to celebrate my 3rd anniversary. Woohoo!

  • I defrosted a pie crust patty and am contemplating making a pie. I would rather make a fruit pie but even though I have a can of cherries, I don't have some of the other ingredients needed to turn it into a cherry pie.  So I'm probably going to bake a pumpkin pie, which will be better for me since I don't like pumpkin pie much, lol. Update: I did bake a pumpkin pie.



  • I did 2 very full loads of laundry on cold/cold and I used Purex that I had bought on sale at CVS and vinegar for the rinse. I air dried the undies/cloth napkins/exercise clothes on laundry racks that I set up on the back patio despite the fact that it's supposed to rain later on, and ran the cotton clothing in the dryer on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting. Grey clouds moved in at about 1:45 p.m. so I moved the laundry racks indoors but the clothes were mostly dry by that time anyway.


  • I once again had to sign out and sign back in to MobiSave to force the new offers to show up. I selected only the generic ones.  Still not sure how I'm going to be able to use the Paypal account to pay in store as no one has replied to my question on the Paypal user forum.  Grrr.


  • One of the articles on MSN today (linked to by Bing Rewards) is about having a "No Money Monday"... well for some broke people that's every day, isn't it?! But what they're talking about is trying not to spend any money on any given day as a frugal practice.  I usually don't spend anything on Mondays so I thought that would be easy for me, but when I thought of it, we still incur tolls (which are charged automatically to our credit card), the kids buy lunch from school on Mondays and some bills get paid automatically on Mondays, I presume.  Maybe I should aim for a "No Waste Wednesday" instead.

  • Bing Rewards: I earned all my daily credits and redeemed 475 of them for a $5 Amazon gift card :)

  • I reused the water that I used (several times!) for boiling eggs last week to water my indoor plants.

  • I set the new pineapple top (see "Failures") in water on my windowsill.


  • For lunch I had leftovers: chicken meatloaf and rice from last week, and a navel orange.

  • Last night, I cut off the bottoms of the 3 leeks that I had harvested before storing them in the fridge overnight. I put the 3 bottoms in a jar of water on my windowsill.  Eventually I'll put them in potting soil to regrow some of the leaves.


  • I printed extra coupons from my son's computer.

  • I brewed myself a cup of black tea by reusing the tea bag from Greg's breakfast.

  • Then I decided to make waffle iron cookies for those of us who won't eat the pumpkin pie. Uh, that would be me :)  I used a stick of margarine instead of butter (froze the wrapper to use it at a later time to butter a baking dish) to save a little bit of money.

  • I made a menu for this week but I didn't check the fridge first, as I like to do. So I'm not posting the menu yet, because it'll probably change.


  • I took a RaceTrac survey and earned a survey reward code for a free bag of TasteWorks chips (old receipt and now I'm all caught up!)


  • I received CVS coupons in the mail.



WE SPLURGED ON:
  • The kids bought lunch from school today.

  • AC. It's been hot a humid these past few days so the AC has been running.  We don't really have the choice unless we want mildew growing everything and food spoiling.

  • Water for my garden.  Despite the rain forecast for later on, it was hot and sunny this morning so I decided to water my seeds. 

  • A bluetooth speaker to use with my Kindle Fire in the kitchen. The sound level is just way too low and the portable speaker I was borrowing from my son wasn't much better. When i do the dishes, I can barely hear the programs that I'm watching.  I found a very well reviewed speaker on Amazon and applied the $5 gift card that I earned today and $11.87 in Amazon Rewards to get it for a little over $22.  I charged it to my Amazon Visa card and will earn 3% back in Rewards and Greg can pretend it's my early Mother's Day present :)  He said that if it ensured that the dishes got done, he would buy me two.  Smart ass.


HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
  • My Staples.com purchase is still not registering as a "pending" Shop & Earn on Swagbucks so I contacted them AGAIN.  My goodwill towards Swagbucks is eroding little by little.

  • The damn squirrels were all over my garden yesterday evening or this morning and they dug out a bunch of stuff. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting peanuts after all.  They dug out my okra patch, the basil that I had just transplanted, the bin with the bush beans, etc.   I hate them with a passion... I want to poison them all (can't because then scavengers will die too) or keep leashed cats in the veggie patch!  In the meantime, I relocated some pots together and protected them with a cage made with rebar and screening material and I also put cages on top of the peanut patches.

  • I had to compost a pineapple, apple and 2 Roma tomatoes that we never ate and that went bad.


TASKS ACCOMPLISHED TODAY:
  • Cooked breakfast for Greg
  • Packed his lunch
  • Set the breakfast table for the kids
  • Reminded my daughter to put her clothes in the dryer
  • Ran the dehumidifier in the bathroom
  • Defrosted a pie crust
  • Did laundry
  • Watered the garden
  • Did the dishes
  • Swept the kitchen
  • Made pumpkin pie
  • Made Waffle Iron cookies
  • Cooked dinner

Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!

5 comments:

  1. Once again, thank you for the Kellogg's code. And, of course, I redeemed my Bing points too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The only thing that's depressing, in a way, is how fast I spend those $5 gift cards, lol. I'm like a kid who just got her allowance and can't wait to spend it. I'll be posting another KFR code today for 100 pts, I think, I need to find the email first.

      Delete
    2. The pie looks really good. Don't you like pumpkin pie?

      I have never sat and listened to Josh Groban I must sit and have a listen to him so that I can tell you what I think.

      I can imagine how you must feel homesick at times. There are a lot of places in the UK that I have never visited. Some I'm sure are very pretty. The next time you go back to France you should add in a little tour of places that take your fancy. Xx

      Delete
    3. No, I don't really care for pumpkin pie.

      I'd love to go back to France and play tourist. It's just that when I go, I feel obliged to go visit family, you know. Still, I bet they wouldn't care much if they only saw me for 10 minutes, lol.

      Delete
  2. Those darned squirrels....after all that work you did yesterday, I would be terribly upset.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!