HAPPENINGS AROUND HERE TODAY:
- Dear online diary: I couldn't fall asleep last night even though I felt tired (well, maybe you should quit drinking those free energy drinks, Nathalie!) and I didn't sleep well at all. So again this morning I'm seriously dragging... figuratively because it 10:44 a.m. and I've pretty much been sitting at the kitchen table in my PJs since I got up. Maybe a shower will perk me up!
- I started the day by opening the windows in our entry room for the cats but by 10 a.m. the AC (set at 76F) was about to kick in so I had to close them. Still, it was nice hearing the birds calling to one another through the open windows! The high will be about 86F today but it should go down to about 81F by Sunday so I'm hoping I'll be able to open the windows again this weekend.
- Single tasks accomplished today:
- Reaching out to someone: commented on some blogs
- Household chore: vacuumed the downstairs
- Tax-related: decided to wait to mail my amended return until next time I run errands
- General finances: scheduled a credit card payment online
- Saving money: uploaded digital coupons
- Cooking: a chicken breast for my daughter, rice krispie treats
- Indulging myself: I had a lazy morning
- I packed leftover Southwest Beef Stew for Greg to take to work, along with his usual hard-boiled eggs and yogurt.
- The kids packed their lunches to take to school.
- My daughter finished a box of cereal so I recycled the box and rinsed the inner bag so I could reuse it as a freezer bag.
- Microsoft/Bing Rewards apologized for not having credited me with the 5 credits for taking the survey they emailed me yesterday, said that they had credited me and alerted their IT team to the problem. Then I completed today's activities and I'm now at 80% of my goal.
- Swagbucks: on top of high goals, not having Ngage anymore, JunoGroup only working for about 1-2 hours a day tops and their surveys almost never crediting, I realized this morning that most of the ads playing on my phone via SBTV were political ads so... I turned it off. Slowly weaning myself off Swagbucks and I'll just have to deal with having fewer gift cards to use for groceries. Again: OH WELL.
- My new Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner came in! I had ordered it from Amazon Warehouse Deals and the description only said that it had been repackaged (other units' descriptions indicated that there was some cosmetic damage to the unit but not mine). It came in his original box and yes, had been repackaged, but all the parts were there, they showed no sign of wear whatsoever and the vacuum works great from the test I did on my bare kitchen floor. It picked up kitty litter and even one of those plastic bread tabs without any problems, which is a 100% improvement over my "old" vacuum so yay! I paid $86.11 for it (plus tax, minus a little over $2 in Amazon Rewards points) instead of paying the discounted price of about $127 for a new one (and I just checked and since then it's dropped to $105 and the "Very Good"-rated ones on Amazon Warehouse deals are down to $85!) which is significantly less than I had paid for my new Bissell a few years back so I'm really happy. However it means that now I have to vacuum my house, LOL.
- CVS sent me another one of those $5 off $25 coupons that aren't good for milk and are only good this weekend and, as usual, I uploaded it to my ExtraCare card just in case, even though I don't plan on going shopping this weekend.
- Thanks to a tip from IHeartPublix, I checked the Publix Digital Coupons site and found a lot of new coupons that I uploaded to my digital wallet, including one for a free loaf of organic bread. Yay, freebie!
- Thanks to a suggestion from Susan in a comment left yesterday about the bleach perhaps affecting the spray mechanism in the spray bottles that keep on breaking down, I researched several spray bottles on Amazon and found out that a lot of people have been complaining of the same issues. Thankfully one reviewer posted a link to this bottle that has gotten rave reviews, including from people who have used theirs for months with bleach or vinegar. It's a little under $6 so not as frugal as reusing old bottles, but if it'll keep on working for months, I'm all for trying one as I don't have an unlimited supply of old bottles (I was even thinking about going to inspect the neighbors' recycling bins in case they got rid of theirs, lol!). But since I'm cheap, I'm waiting for my new Discover Rewards to become available so I can order it for free:)
- I decided not to drive to Family Dollar and the post office today: there's actually no rush for me to mail that amended 2014 tax return so I'll just take care of it next time I'm running errands.
- I made Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies for the kids with a box of Aldi-branded generic rice krispies that I had bought a while back, some margarine, a bag of mini marshmallows that I got for free at Walmart and some mini chocolate chips. Update: I made a 13x10 dish of them and they were all GONE by dinner time. My daughter and son ate most of it but I had a couple of pieces too!
- My lunch was some leftover Southwest Beef Stew, a slice of carrot ginger bread and some strawberries.
- I experimented with brewing coffee with this morning's coffee grounds in my French press. Yeah... that wasn't great. I'm guessing people who are successful re-brewing their grounds probably like their first cups much stronger than I do! I still drank both cups.
- I printed some coupons that Betty Crocker emailed me.
- Oh boy, Carrabas's emailed me a 20% off coupon... and we have offers for $10 off $25 when we use our American Express cards to pay. I know, I know. we need to stop eating out. BUT: if we do decide to eat out, that would be a good deal for a good meal :)
- I unlocked new Ibotta offers.
- Dinner was Blue Plate Meatload made with ground chicken instead of ground beef. I had bought a can of No Salt Added Spinach instead of frozen spinach and that worked out great! It didn't take any room in my freezer and I didn't need to worry about defrosting it and then squeezing the water out because there actually was little liquid in the can. I shall always get this from now on! Instead of making herbed potatoes as I had planned, I cooked rice in the microwave and steamed the asparagus that I had bought at Aldi on Tuesday.
- I took a RaceTrac survey and earned a survey reward code for a free bakery item.
WE SPLURGED ON:
- Nothing today!
HOWEVER, WE FAILED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, BUT LEARNED SOME LESSONS:
- I'm not aware of any failures today, woohoo!
TASKS ACCOMPLISHED TODAY:
- Cooked breakfast for Greg
- Packed his lunch
- Set the breakfast table for the kids
- Ran the dehumidifier in the downstairs bathroom
- Put together the new vacuum cleaner and tested it in the kitchen
- Cooked a chicken breast for my daughter's lunches
- Uploaded new digital coupons
- Made rice krispie treats
- Played with New Kitty
- Emptied the countertop compost bin into the large one outside
- Vacuumed the rest of the downstairs.
- Read a lot of blogs!
- Cooked dinner
PROGRESS TOWARDS MY 2016 GOALS TODAY:
- Continued being a good steward of our money by avoiding running an errand that could easily be done next week, batched up with the others :)
Did you have any frugal successes or failures today? Please do tell!