Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week: 3/2/16



Wednesday is my main shopping day but I went shopping on Tuesday this week. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

I hadn't planned on getting any meat or milk this week since I was stocked up but I ran across some really good clearance prices so I... stocked up some more!  I wanted to keep the trip short too, so I didn't visit Target, Walmart or CVS which are the 3 places where I usually pay with a gift card. So today's trip was frugal because of the clearances and sales, but I barely got anything for free.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $99.76
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $99.76
Money left in budget: $0.24


Baking Supplies: $2.89 OOP

  1. My son loves the cinnamon raisin bread that I make in the bread maker and I'm finally almost out of the organic raisins that I had bought 3-4 years ago (it had been a 5-lb bag).
  • 1 canister raisins (Aldi) @ $2.89

Beverages: $1.99 OOP

  1. Greg has been fixing me a cup of decaf coffee at night when he has his mint tea, and I've been drinking some in the afternoons too, especially when it was cold, so I pretty much went through the last container in a month, even though the previous one had lasted me over a year!
  • 4 oz jar instant decaffeinated coffee (Aldi) @ $1.99

Breads/Baked Goods: $3.69 OOP
  1. I want to make fish tacos this week. I could have made my own tortillas but I've been feeling unmotivated to cook recently so I figured I'd better be safe than sorry. Also, my daughter likes them to make roll-ups to take to school, and they last forever without spoiling.
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
  • 20-ct flour tortillas (Aldi) @ $1.99

 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $16.28 OOP
  1. It was hard finding space in the freezer for the 2 half-gallons of milk, but I did make them fit!
  2. I went to Aldi and got yogurt there before I remembered that Publix had a sale on the Activia so I'm really stocked with yogurt now!
  3. I might have some butter in the chest freezer, I'm not sure... since I didn't want to take it completely apart, I just bought a lb of  it. It's quite expensive these days!
  • (2) 1/2 gallons, 1% milk (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $0.99 each = $1.98
  • (4) 4-ct Activia Fruit Fusion yogurt (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.39, minus (4) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $0.78
  • 1 lb unsalted butter (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 15 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = 5.85
  • 1 package string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79
  • 1 package American cheese singles (Aldi) @ $1.89

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $2.76 OOP 
  1.  I did have lots of pasta in my pantry already but I just couldn't resist getting it at 40 cents a box. Not the best I've ever gotten, but still a great deal.
  • 8 boxes Mueller's pasta (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $1.69 minus (4) $1.00/2 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.76
Produce/Juice: $21.32
  1. My daughter had requested strawberries, mandarins and grapes.  I bought the grapes at Save A Lot, thinking that the price was probably better than Aldi's per lb, but I was wrong :(
  2. I was surprised to find the 3-lb bags of Macintosh apples on sale at Aldi for $0.99 per bag (it wasn't advertised in their weekly ad), so I bought 3 bags of them!
  3. The broccoli price was OK but not great, and I admit that I bought 2 bags of it by mistake because I got distracted talking with a stranger about his hate of broccoli!
  • 1 64-oz bottle organic apple juice (Aldi) @ $2.69
  • 9 lbs Macintosh apples (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99 each = $2.97 and got $0.25 back from MobiSave so $2.72
  • 2 lbs broccoli crowns (Aldi), @ $1.59 each = $3.18
  • 2 lbs strawberries (Aldi) @ $1.39 each = $2.78
  • 6 lbs mandarins (Aldi), on sale @ $2.39 each = $4.78 and got $0.25 back from MobiSave so $4.53
  • 2.95 lbs bananas (Save A Lot) @ $0.34/lb = 1.15
  • 1.75 lbs grapes (Save A Lot) @ $2.49/lb = $3.36
  • 0.20 lbs yellow onion  (Save A Lot) @ $0.99/lb = $0.16 and got $0.25 back from MobiSave so $0.09 MONEY MAKER

Proteins: $44.67 OOP
  1. So... the only things on my list had been the tuna cans, eggs, tilapia and lunch meat.  then I went to Save A Lot, lol.
  2. I'm not quite sure where I'm going to put the 10 lbs of ground beef in my freezers!  For now they're in the fridge.
  • 1 lb frozen tilapia fillets (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 lb smoked ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 1 lb oven roasted turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 1.65 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.25/lb = $2.06
  • 1.81 lbs beef bottom roast (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.50/lb = $4.53
  • 2.20 lbs beef bottom roast (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.50/lb = $5.50
  • 2 dozens large eggs (Save A Lot) @ $1.59 = $3.18
  • 4 cans light tuna in water (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.50 each = $2.00
  • 5 2-lb chubs 80%/20% ground beef (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.50/lb = $14.95
  • 2 links Butterball smoked turkey sausage (Save A Lot), @ $1.99 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 printable coupons = $2.48

Snacks: $6.16 OOP
  1. Greg's been trying eat more protein so I bought 2 boxes of the protein bars this week, just in case.
  • 2 boxes protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99 = $3.98
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 2 bags TasteWorks chips (RaceTrac), FREE with redemption of 2 survey reward codes

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I agree that you couldn't pass up those meat (and eggs) specials this week. Better find a place in the freezer for all of it, because you have a lot of fruit to eat up this week. And all that yoghurt and milk was a terrific price. If I could find pasta at 40 cents a box, I would be in heaven. No wonder you went over your $50 target this week. I will bet you won't even have to go shopping next week at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish, but I'll probably need more fruit and bread at the very least. But I should try to skip a week because when I look at my overall food expenses for the year so far, I'm OVER budget. We had lots of eating out expenses last month :(

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!