My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
This week I split my shopping between yesterday and today. For the first time in a while, I didn't qualify for any rebates. Well, I might have qualified for a Checkout 51 rebate yesterday but I forgot to check before their produce rebates expired last night! Oh well, it might have been 25 cents so not a huge loss.
This is my first shopping trip for April. I spent way over what I was planning on spending because I stocked up on a lot of meat. I also spent quite a bit on snacks and stocked up on some baking and pantry items.
Since I skipped going to Walmart this week, and I have curtailed my participation in Swagbucks, I only used a gift card at CVS so I didn't get a whole lot of freebies.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $91.99
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $91.99
Money left in budget: $8.01
Baking Supplies: $4.87 OOP
- Chocolate chips are a food group in my family so we can't be without them :)
- 1 bag brown sugar (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 2 bags mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $3.58
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Breads/Baked Goods: $2.55 OOP
- 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
- 1 hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85
- 3 boxes Kellogg's cereals (Walgreens), on sale @ $1.88 each, minus (3) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons from KFR, minus $2.50 Register Rewards from a previous trip = $0.14 and I earned 60 Balance Rewards points and 5,240 KFR points, wow!
- I liked the Earth Balance spreads that I bought last year but they were the soybean oil kind. This time I wanted to try the soy free versions, although I didn't notice that one kind was more expensive than the other so I spent 20 cents more than I expected. I froze both since I'm still finishing one of the containers that I had bought last year and frozen (they freeze extremely well, well, the soybean oil kind did!)
- The parmesan might have been cheaper at Aldi but I didn't realize until this morning that I would need some before I went back to Aldi. It was bought for an in-home grocery product test that I have to use in a recipe.
- 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.99 but FREE when paying with the CVS gift card earned with our American Express Rewards program.
- 16 oz light sour cream (Aldi) @ $1.19
- 10 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $3.90
- 8 oz mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $1.89
- 2 containers Earth Balance spread (Publix) @ $4.19 and $3.99 but on BOGO so minus $3.99 and minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.19
- 1 container shredded parmesan cheese (Save A Lot) @ $2.49
- I love that whole grain mustard in my homemade salad dressing but it's a seasonal item so I stocked up when I saw that Aldi had it this week. It's hard to predict how often they have their seasonal items so I just grabbed 4 jars. Since I'm growing lots of lettuce, I figured we'd be using it anyway... and it doesn't go bad.
- 4 jars whole grain mustard (Aldi) @ $1.29 = $5.16
- I'm growing lettuce and I have already harvested some, but I wasn't sure I would have enough to harvest for this week so I bought a head of Boston lettuce. It's really delicious and I can reuse the clamshell... hopefully!
- The Roma tomatoes were on sale but pretty unripe so I also bought grape tomatoes to use in salads this week.
- I stocked up on green peppers. I will dice and freeze them.
- The turnip greens had way less sodium (25 mg per half cup) than the leaf spinach (380 mg per half cup!) so I'll be using turnip greens instead of spinach in my chicken and spinach lasagna recipe!
- 1 cantaloupe (Aldi) @ $0.99
- 2 lbs strawberries (Aldi) @ $1.49 each = $2.98
- 1 Boston lettuce (Aldi) @ $1.39
- 1 lb grape tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.69
- 6 green peppers (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99/2 = $2.97
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79
- 2.92 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ 0.44/lb = $1.28
- 3 lbs clementines (Save A Lot) @ $2.99 minus $0.50/1 insert manufacturer coupon = $2.49
- 2 cans Reese artichoke hearts (Publix), on sale @ $1.79 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupons, minus $1.00/2 store coupon = $1.08
- 2 cans mustard greens (Save A Lot), @ $0.69 each = $1.38
- The only item really on my list was the ham for the kids' and Greg's sandwiches. However I couldn't resist the last 2 packages of chicken at Aldi and specifically went to SAL today to see if the end of the month would bring some meat clearances. I wish I had more room because I would have bought more ground beef. We'll be eating lots of tacos, burgers, and meatloaf in the next couple of months!
- 8.96 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts (Aldi), on sale @ $1.49/lb = $13.35
- 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
- 10 lbs 73% ground beef (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.09/lb = $10.94
- 1.21 lbs beef bottom round steak (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.84/lb = $3.41
- 2.18 lbs beef bottom round roast (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.18/lb = $5.43
Snacks: $13.95 OOP
- The potatoes will be served as a side when I make cheeseburgers this weekend. I find that we like them and I don't have to cook a side, which helps keep me from ordering in!
- You might recall that I recently bought lots of Valentines-Day themed marshmallows to make rice krispies for the kids but, ahem, I've been eating them. What?! I promise the kids aren't starving :) Anyhoo, I bought the Easter ones since they were on clearance this week and they looked so yummy.
- 1 bag potato chips (Aldi) @ $1.49
- 1 box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 jar hazelnut spread (Aldi) @ $2.29
- 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 2 packages M&Ms (CVS) on sale @ $0.88, minus free coupon from manufacturer coupon and $0.30 digital store coupon = $0.58 but FREE when paying with CVS gift card earned with our Amex Rewards program
- 2 packages mints (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98
- 4 bags Easter-themed marshmallows (Aldi), on clearance @ $0.49 each = $1.96
- 2 bags beanie eggs candy (Aldi), on clearance @ $0.50 each = $1.00
- 1 glazed lemon coffee cake (RaceTrac), FREE after survey reward code.
- 1 Hershey with almonds candy bar (Walgreens) @ $1.06
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)