Saturday, March 19, 2016

Lazy Saturday (3/19/16)

Replace the toddler in the graphic above with teenagers on their computers and we have our house right now, lol.

Today in Central Florida the weather... gloomy.  And that makes me happy, for once. I never watered my garden yesterday and the Yahoo! Weather app (which isn't all that accurate so I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt) is predicting 100% chance of rain between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.  It's 10:30 a.m. right now so I'm waiting for it to start pouring. My plants would love it.

I finally was able to sleep in a little until 8:30 a.m. and it felt glorious. Greg was up a lot last night and reported that he had a horrible night. Oh no, my honey!  But also: I'm glad we sleep apart more than together these days.  There's nothing worse than not being able to sleep and having to worry about the person next to you in bed. These days we're selfish and we both want our own comfort. Since we're both middle aged and have night bladder "issues", we just keep on bothering one another. It's sad, really, but it explains why, to my shock, I realized that both my dad and stepmom and mom and stepdad had taken to sleeping apart years ago.

After I fed the cats (New Kitty is always happy to see me get up on the weekends because she's always starved and knows that my son, who is typically in charge of the cats, won't get up until noon), I ventured in the garden in my PJs to check on the progress of my plants. Yes, there is some progress and I think I'm going to write a post just about my garden progress. It makes it easier for those who really don't care and they can skip that post.

The garden smelled great... the orange trees are blooming!  I wish my jasmine was blooming too but not yet.

Greg said he had seen a small U-Haul parked at our neighbors' (the ones who had their lot surveyed recently) so we're speculating whether they're moving out and the house is going to go up for sale or whether someone else is moving in with them.

Well it's now 10:50 a.m. and it is raining! Yay!  I hope it lasts several hours.  Greg is reading on his Kindle and we have classical music playing. I might just stay in my PJs all day!


Since yesterday, Ngage seems to have come back to the Swagbucks line-up so I'm running that on my laptop... a little it regretfully because it was nice not to have to worry about SB so much these past couple of weeks. I did registered for this past week's Team Challenge, somehow earned the necessary 300 team points to qualify for the tiny bonus they awarded to the teams and thus earned a 20 SB Swag-up rebate that will expire on 4/18. This means that in order to get it, I'll need to order a gift card by 4/18.  It's hardly worth the effort. 1 SB = 1 cent.  I'm up to 1,668 SB as of right now so I might not even earn a gift card this month at all!

I did complete my Bing Rewards activities this morning. Recently I'd been forgetting to do it and then have to scramble at night, when I was tired, to get it done. This morning I had an email from them thanking me for being a loyal member and granting me 10 free entries into a Sweepstake to win a Microsoft package that looks pretty awesome, actually, even if I despise Microsoft products these days. Maybe I'll win!  Yes, that's a remnant of rubbing against all those optimist people at the Optimist Club meeting on Thursday night :)

I did end up raining for a couple of hours, although not that hard, but we'll take what we can!



So my plan for today is to veg.  I have several library books to read, an episode of "The Americans" to watch.  I might make a strawberry cake or scones because those free snacks that we got on Thursday night are almost all gone.

Dinner tonight will be a frittata and salad so I don't need to make anything in advance. Yay.

Petco sent me another coupon for a free bag of cat treats since our older female cat was adopted in the same month as our male cat, albeit a year apart.  Between that and the free wet cat food samples that I have received from various sources, I'll have a cat-themed box to take to our favorite neighbors, hahaha.


The $600 prizes my daughter won on Thursday night took the form of (2) $300 Visa gift cards.  However, she wanted to put the money in savings so I "bought" the gift cards from her and transferred money from our checking to her savings account.  Now I need to remember to use the gift cards!  It'll be our loss since that means that I won't be earning any rewards on $600 worth of merchandise :( She is going to contact the club president and the judges to thank them and explain to them what she plans on doing with the winnings.

One of my brothers and my mom had replied to my long email from yesterday so I read their messages and replied to them too.  My brother, who lives in Paris and is a musician on the side, was telling me that he went to Montmartre to sell one of his guitars and met up with a young painter who lives in a tiny painting studio in Montmartre with his wife and their cat named "Potato", and bought a couple of watercolors from him.  My daughter, the artist, thinks that is so awesome! She and I really want to go back, but she's so busy with everything that it's pretty much impossible.  It's sad, in a lot of ways, that we put so much pressure on our kids to avoid debt and get ahead in life that during her last years of high school when she should be discovering the world, she is pretty much "stuck" here.  I hope she can get into a Study Abroad program when she makes it to college!

CVS sent me a coupon for 30% off my grocery purchase through Wednesday next week but it excludes all sale items and milk.  We'll see what I might be able to get.


So speaking of CVS, I perused the online ads that start tomorrow for CVS and Walgreens and worked on my shopping list. I'm hoping to buy Gevalia coffee at CVS and eggs at Walgreens. Walgreens will have the dozen of eggs on sale for just $0.99 starting tomorrow through Wednesday only. I would imagine that there's going to be a rush on them so I might need to go there tomorrow morning.


Nothing else really happened the rest of the day. I read one of my John Sandford books that I borrowed from the library yesterday "Stolen Prey", that I enjoyed a lot. I don't remember reading it before. I took a bath in the middle of the afternoon with the book.

Greg wasn't feeling great before dinner and I decided to go buy us dinner. My son came with me to Publix and I went a little crazy, buying not only our regular Family Dinner Meal but also French bread, brie, ice cream, a cake and whipped cream!  But hey, I got a 2L bottle of Diet Coke for free with a store coupon :)

3 comments:

  1. I like those rare relaxing days, when there is nothing that you HAVE to do and nowhere you HAVE to go. :)
    I have been wasting any free moments I get lately on my kindle app. I am finding so many free books to download on there. I seriously have over 100 books and I haven't spent one penny on them! Some of them I actually read and really enjoyed, some of them are for the kids. I keep wondering if there is a limit to how many books you can download.
    Eggs are 99¢ here too, but I don't think there is a limit on how many I can buy. We are going to color some for Easter so sometime this week I am going to go into town and pick up several dozen. Might as well stock up at that price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you received some much needed rain. Glad, too, that you had a relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!