Tuesday, March 29, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans {3/29 through 4/3)



Better late than never!

Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...


MONDAY:  Ten Things Farm Roasted Chicken Breasts, Baked Potatoes, Side Salad
  • Already made so no need for details :)

TUESDAY:  Shepherd's Pie, Side Salad
This allows me to use up those potatoes that will go bad soon. I'm also using one of the rolls of turkey sausage that I got for 50 cents on clearance after coupon. Also: first lettuce harvest of the year!  This is lettuce that self-seeded so it cost me zero cents or dollars, woohoo!
  • From the freezer: Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breakfast Sausage
  • From the pantry: Idaho potatoes, jar of gravy
  • From the fridge: Shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack, butter, Roma tomato, salad olives, homemade salad dressing
  • Need to harvest: lettuce
  • Need to make in advance:  peel potatoes, shred the Monterey Jack cheese
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY:  Classic Beef Stew (Crockpot) with rolls
* Recipe adapted from "Crockpot - Hearty Soups, Stews & Chilies, p 72).  I'll be adding some of the Brussels sprouts that I have in the fridge to the recipe so I can use them up.
  • From the freezer: Bottom beef roast
  • From the pantry: flour, EVOO, beef broth, potatoes, onion, canned mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, herbs as per recipes
  • From the fridge: baby carrots
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Crockpot Recipe**
  • Need to buy:  rolls from Walmart bakery clearance rack

THURSDAY: Chicken Calypso with Rice
I could try to get fancy with the rice but my family likes plain white rice so that's what I'll make. This allows me to use up the boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I'm defrosting today. I got them on 50% clearance so they only cost me $2 for a little more than 1.5 lbs.
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: white rice, complete seasoning, molasses
  • From the fridge: defrosted chicken thighs, sweet chili sauce, cilantro paste
  • Need to harvest: green onions
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Cajun Chicken Helper and Potato Rolls
My daughter and I will be attending an award ceremony where they will serve light refreshments and hors d'oeuvres and then we'll probably pick up something to eat on the way home.  Perfect time to use up a box of Chicken Helper that's been kicking in my pantry for a few months, for the men :)
  • From the freezer: chicken breast
  • From the pantry:  Cajun Chicken Helper mix, vegetable oil
  • From the fridge: nothing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  Cook it before I have to leave :) **Make mashed potatoes early in the morning and then make potato rolls**
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY:  Spicy Black Bean Soup and Cheese Quesadillas
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: 3 cans black beans, 1 can corn, 1 can diced tomatoes, onion, red pepper flakes, cumin, chicken bouillon base
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, shredded Monterey Jack, tortillas, plain yogurt
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY:  Blue Cheese-Stuffed Cheeseburgers and Tortilla Chips
I know me, I won't feel like cooking come Sunday afternoon. But grilling burgers is easy and if I serve chips on the side, I don't really have to cook... This will allow me to use up the blue cheese crumbs that I have in the freezer as well as some of the guacamole (I plan on dipping my chips into it!)
  • From the freezer: Ground beef, guacamole, blue cheese crumbles
  • From the pantry:  tortilla chips, salsa
  • From the fridge: cheese, condiments
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: hamburger rolls

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to invite myself to dinner at your house, this week! I'm planning on eating leftovers, for the most part. Don't really have much of an appetite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I used to really dislike leftovers and now I'm always disappointed when I don't have any in the fridge for my lunch! I'm sorry you don't have much of an appetite, Bless.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!